aberdeen-music

Thrash Attack !!!

Fast Caz

This thread is solely for the purpose of ranting and raving about the thrash bands from the 80's.

Exodus , Tankard , Pestilence , Dark Angel , Possessed , Sodom , Destruction , Kreator , Demolition Hammer , Cryptic Slaughter.

I've been on a thrash binge as of late and completely rekindled my love for all 80's thrash.

To start off this thread who would you say was your favorite thrash band from the golden era ?

Apart from prime era slayer and metallica it would have to be Destruction for me.

the 80's was rubbish.

p.s how can you rekindle your love of 80's thrash bands if you were only 2 years old in 1990, were you really into them when you were ten then got a bit bored for 9 years before rediscovering them?

whats wrong with that 8-)

80s guitar playing is awesome... don't like much thrash though, other than the usual suspects (metallica) even then, not much

the 80's was rubbish.

p.s how can you rekindle your love of 80's thrash bands if you were only 2 years old in 1990, were you really into them when you were ten then got a bit bored for 9 years before rediscovering them?

I'm a little 1988 child too :laughing:

I used to listen to alot more thrash at 14/15 and then got into heavier stuff but - like Calum - have recently been listening to alot more thrash over the last couple of months again. :up:

Kreator - Enemy Of God has to be one of the best for me. Obviously KEA and RIB but I'm not meant to include them eh :laughing:

My favourite era and genre, huge fan of Exodus, Death Angel, Dark Angel, Heathen, Laaz Rockit, Acid Reign, Xentrix, Sabbat, Slammer, Re-Animator, Agent Steel, Testament, Flotsam & Jetsam, Forbidden, Vio-Lence, Kreator, Annihilator, Destruction, Sodom, Holy Moses, Deathwish, Realm, Sacred Reich, Nuclear Assault, Anthrax, Suicidal Tendencies, Metal Church, Overkill, Hexenhaus, Paradox etc

Difficult to pick a fav album from then excluding the big boys but would maybe say the 2 Sabbat ones, Dreamweaver and History Of A Time To Come though Annihilator's Alice In Hell and Exodus's Pleasures Of The Flesh push hard for contention.

Sad I know replying to myself but the best gigs of that period I went to were:

Slayer/Malice - Reign In Blood tour at the Edinburgh Playhouse (87)

Acid Reign - Moshkinstein tour at Edinburgh Venue (88?)

Sabbat - Dreamweaver tour at Edinburgh Venue (88/89?)

Onslaught - Power From Hell tour at Edinburgh venue (87/88?)

There were loads others but these ones stick in my mind (maybe less drunk at them??)

Yas min!

Testament

Slayer

Exodus

Destruction

Kreator

Sodom

DRI

Nuclear Assault

Possessed

Forbidden

Death Angel

Vio-lence

Exhorder (not 80's, I know)

Loads of cracking bands from that era... great to see thrash making a comeback with bands like Municipal Waste, SSS, Skeletonwitch and Blood Tsunami coming through as well.

Annihilator- Jeff Waters kicked serious ass

Megadeth- Rust in Peace...amazing slice of thrash

I don't care, I will mention them anyway. Metallica- Fight fire with fire fight fire with fire fight fire with fire fight fire with fire fight!!!!!!!!!!! Awww yesh.

Anthrax

Dark Angel

Testament

Kreator

Tankard

Not thrash but my guilty pleasure of the 80's.. Helloween.

I do like Helloween and they did start off as thrash, Walls Of Jericho was majorly heavy and fast. I also like that B side they did on Dr Stein, "Savage" which was very much a nod back to their earlier thrash days.

Talking of major spandex, have you seen the album cover on Pantera's album "Power Metal", Phil with big hair and spandex! A cracking album as well and definately of the hybrid thrash/groove/power metal style even if they did look like Poison!!

Do love Tankard as well, proper beer drinking thrash. Their last 2 albums are probably their best albums to date as well, they have matured and got better with age even if most of the songs are still about getting rat arsed, hehe.

That base line to Peace Sells still brings out goose bumps on me.

Also forgot to mention Sanctuary, quality melodic thrash act who eventually turned into Nevermore.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Thread hijack! I have a fair heap of '80's thrash vinyls sitting gathering dust. Anyone wants to take them off my hands, give me a shout and I'll see what there is.

:up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
well make me a list of what you have and i will write out a blank cheque.

Pretty much everything Acid Reign and Nuclear Assault ever did, that good enough for starters?

:up:

This thread smells of my youth.

Anyone got the Spazztic Blur album, mm, ridiculous.

Paul Baloff(RIP) era Exodus, Vio-Lence (what an album), Frost, Raven (borderline), Rage, Destruction, 1st 2 Anthrax albums, Living Death (fucking ding), Sabbat, Onslaught (pre Fatso Grimmet), Venom (worst thrash drumming ever), spot of Gang Green for light relief("Ted Kennedy once said, we'll drive off that bridge when we get to it"), Ho Ho, good or bad, it was usually entertaining. I had to get into dumb party rock when I got older though, as intense is never a happening vibe when out on the town. Actually I went fully Glam to the Celtic Frost/Destruction gig at Edinburgh Playhouse, what a hoot that was.

TBC