aberdeen-music

Cleaning vinyl records

Guest Tam o' Shantie

soak the vinyl with a weak solution of washing up liquid in warm water, clean with velvet brush as above & rinse with plenty clean water......thats done me for the last 30 years :up:

Doesn't water warp the records?

I ruined some of mine by leaving them stacked on top of each other. Including my Bridge Over Troubled Water LP, boooo.

im pretty sure that the records will only warp if you use stupidly hot water. my ex-boyfriend made a cool "broken record" fancy dress costume by warping old records in boiling water.

another friend of mine said his dad always washed records with soap and warm water to keep em in good condition. my dad uses a wee velvet brush like the one pictured above

I'm with Free Tibet....I heave mine into the sink, not worrying about labels, unless the record is valuable. (The dye can sometimes come off). Lukewarm water won't damage the vinyl. Then I blast with cold water, shake off, semi-dry with a lint-free cloth and allow to dry properly propped up on bottles etc.

The only damage I've done in about 35 years is dying a white label Hendrix 7" a fetching light lilac by washing it with some blue Decca 7"s.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Thanks for everyone's input, but do any of you guys DJ or scratch with your records? Dust is one thing, but the gunk that gets stuck in my grooves can't be doing any favours for the sound or my stylus. I've seen cleaning kits for sale that are more tailored to this sort of thing...

Thanks for everyone's input, but do any of you guys DJ or scratch with your records? Dust is one thing, but the gunk that gets stuck in my grooves can't be doing any favours for the sound or my stylus. I've seen cleaning kits for sale that are more tailored to this sort of thing...

My pal uses this alcohol based system:

eBay.be: KNOSTI DISCO ANTISTAT LP RECORD CLEANING KIT ** NEW ** (objet 330051199410 Fin: 12-Nov-07 14:31:07 CET)

if money is no object this is supposed to be a cracker :

VPI Industries Inc.