aberdeen-music

Futurepop, EBM, Electronica

Guest Bob

Just heard Davey Havok's (AFI) new project Blaqk Audio and I think it's pretty fucking cracking.

I'm wanting to find more, I'm thinking along the lines of Futurepop, EBM, Electronica. I could be wrong in that.

Does anyone know of any other artists that might be similar? Where can I find stuff along these lines online?

Just heard Davey Havok's (AFI) new project Blaqk Audio and I think it's pretty fucking cracking.

I'm wanting to find more, I'm thinking along the lines of Futurepop, EBM, Electronica. I could be wrong in that.

Does anyone know of any other artists that might be similar? Where can I find stuff along these lines online?

don't know much about Futurepop, but Electronic and Electronica cover a large subset of music.

for EBM, try the wikipedia page here: Electronic body music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

from the artists there the ones that i've heard most stuff by are the likes of Front 242, Frontline Assembly, Nitzer Ebb, as well as other bands like Neurotic Fish, Covenant, maybe VNV Nation though maybe it's electronica too.

for electronica, again the wp page: Electronica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

however with electronica the genre is a lot wider, and can be anything from Goldfrapp to Smashing Pumpkins (adore), Bjrk, Depeche Mode, Motor, T. Raumschumiere, Aphex Twin....

often it seems areas and sounds of electronica are integrated into a band's more traditional genre or bands that span many different genres, like in the case of Smashing Pumpkins, Fear Factory, Skinny Puppy, The Young Gods, LCD Soundsystem, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead.....

then of course there are the different kinds of dance, techno, house, trance, drum and bass that all naturally incorporate electronic and electronica elements, often the work of one composer or DJ, e.g. Richie Hawtin, BT, Alex Smoke, Richard D James, Liam Howlett (prodigy), Anders Trentemoeller.... but not always, like in the case of Booka Shade, Utah Saints!, and some others i am sure!

i am not to au fait with genre boundaries and quite how one artist slides into one genre and not another as much of this music i have begun to like in the last 2 or 3 years, i just listen to what i like, though probably worth mentioning that i can't remember the last time i listened to a straight guitar rock artist! times change i suppose.

anyway here's a summary of what is high on my list of listening at the moment:

EBM: none, just doesn't do it for me

Technoey/Minimalist/House/Electronica:

- Booka Shade

- Alex Smoke

- Richie Hawtin (DE9 Transitions is all i have at the moment)

- Trentemoeller (HIGHLY recommended)

- Motor

- T Raumschumiere

- The Field

There are obviously hundreds more bands that are equally and more prominent in these genres, these just signify some that are popular with me at the moment, or that i have been introduced to, etc. etc.

if you want to find out more about this kind of music and are about town,

1. find a couple of albums you like the style of, and then go see yogi in one up, and ask him for suggestions, he is absolutely great for that and is always great for keeping an eye on new stuff

2. ask calum working in the sound booth next time you are in drummonds, about what sort of things you like and what else you might like in that style, i have been introduced to much (most!) good music from calum, who in turn gets some really great stuff via yogi

surprisingly amazon is quite good for researching this stuff, with the "people who liked this also bought" etc. etc. i've had a couple of blinding recommendations from amazon, like The Field and Hybrid... but have also found things in tandem with reading on Wikipedia, like BT, and older stuff like Way Out West, Underworld....

have fun! when i opened up my eyes to dance/electronic/techno/house it was like my musical life was born again and reinvented - there is no end of pleasure in listening, searching and discovering new music in these areas, unlike my experiences in rock/metal/indie music where my imagination and ability to be inspired by has stagnated significantly in the last five years.

just need to get a big 400w woofer for my car now and i'll be set!

Elizium's mainly EBM and industrial, with a slap of futurepop. I'm away from home at the moment, but when I get back I'll check out Blaqk Audio when I get home in a week and fling some more informed suggestions your way.

In the meantime, try the setlists on ELIZIUM | NM4NP and spend a wee while looking through Myspace with some of the names you see. Try Covenant, Apoptygma Berzerk, Icon Of Coil, VNV Nation, Faderheadz, Freezepop, Combichrist, Crisk and (my current favourite) Zombie Girl for a slice of what tends to comprise a 'peak' set for Elizium these days.

Davey Havoc's been pictured many a time in music mags wearing Apoptygma Berzerk t-shirts, so maybe they're the best to start with?

why does everyone keep going on about alex smoke?

you might want to try

the boys noize record that just came out, called 'oi oi oi'

cex- sketchi

edIT- crying over pros for no reason

para one- epiphanie

sabrepulse- famicom connection

acrnym- flowers

the tuss- rushup edge

ratatat- either the self titled album or classics, both are absolute smash hits.

it's all exquisite.