aberdeen-music

Mobile phones abroad

Dayeth

I'm going to Canada for 6 months and I'd quite like to be able to text/phone people here, and be charged as little as possible.

Does anyone know about "roaming" and GSM and stuff like that? Is there a UK network that does a decent tariff for what I want to do or would I be better buying a new phone in Canada?

Thanks

I'm going to Canada for 6 months and I'd quite like to be able to text/phone people here, and be charged as little as possible.

Does anyone know about "roaming" and GSM and stuff like that? Is there a UK network that does a decent tariff for what I want to do or would I be better buying a new phone in Canada?

Thanks

With the exchange rate, it might be pretty cheap to get a pay as you go sim card for your current phone, if that's possible?

i have been abroad for the last six months and i've found that the cheapest way is to use a combination of skype and your uk mobile sim. if i want to send texts, i use skype - you can set your return number on the text message so if people reply it will come straight to your phone. in my experience it doesn't cost to receive text messages abroad, only costs to receive phone calls.

hope that helps

i have been abroad for the last six months and i've found that the cheapest way is to use a combination of skype and your uk mobile sim. if i want to send texts, i use skype - you can set your return number on the text message so if people reply it will come straight to your phone. in my experience it doesn't cost to receive text messages abroad, only costs to receive phone calls.

hope that helps

I was thinking about Skype however I don't think access to the internet is going to be that convenient.

Top option just now looks like buying a cheap pay as you go phone there, I'm not bothered about using my current handset as the direction buttons barely work.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't you also need a Tri-Band phone for Canada... or is that just the US? Last time I crossed the big pond my phone didn't work at all.

Yup. Most mobiles are now quad band though so hopefully it won't be an issue. Worth checking the phone's tech spec though.