aberdeen-music

Scotland! Don't look if you don't want to know the Ukraine score.

framheim

I'll put a bit of filler at the start just in case anyone accidentally puts their curser over the thread and sees the first few sentences.

don't read any further if you don't know the score and want to watch the highlights tonight

another fucking great performance for scotland and macfadden! 3-1 and still looking good for qualifying. i just hope we don't mess up against georgia which will still be a tough game. it was a bit scary at times today and if Ukraine had finished their chances it might have been a different story. i'm still not sure what happened to scotland, it used to be us squandering chances and with shaky defending. every time we actually attacked today we seemed to split their defence in half which was great given the french coaches disparaging comments about scotlands attack recently and yet again another rock solid defensive performance. there was even a piper in the gilcomston bar which gave the whole afternoon just the right touch. :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from Hampden, what a brilliant first ten minutes that was! Referee was an utter fucking toby, at least two stonewall pens turned down. Ukraine were not as much cop as expected.

Atmosphere in the West Stand was corking throughout.

I thought the ref was actually pretty decent. I dunno if you're counting hutton's claim as a stonewaller but I remember thinking to myself when he started making the run "he's gonna dive here like he did against stuttgart' and I think he did. I don't think there was enough contact to result in him falling over and twisting his body like he always does therefore I think he was just looking for it.

Mcfadden's could have been given but then again so could Shevchenko's.

All in all it was another good performance from the side and it was the first time I remember seeing them comfortably dominate and pass the ball through midfield for large parts of the game against good opposition.

Fantastic performance and the game was played at a blistering pace. All three goals were superb, Miller's was right out the textbook, McCulloch was coolness personified and just what more can you say about Faddy??

I hope tae fuck Scott Brown is for Wednesday - he's shaping up to be a world-class midfielder - he has all the best elements of Keane, Scholes & Gattuso.

At leat two of the pens (Naysmith & Hutton) were stonewallers and by all accounts the Ref apologised to Faddy for his.

I watched on a live feed on the PC and couldn't make them out at the time, but on'telly they were blatant.

'Moan the Scots!!!!!

North Stand was absolutely jumping yesterday. Had a brilliant view of McCulloch's goal, and what a celebration when McFadden hit the back of the net!! He really has reached god like status.

Just seen the highlights, and there could have been 3 pens. At least the ref was consistant enough to give none of them!

Fingers crossed for the players to shake off injuries :up:

Better start organising Wednesday's events. Lunchtime meet up is confirmed, followed by cheering on Russia at 3.30pm and then the Scotland 6pm kickoff.

So glad i've got Italy tickets :love:

Don't know why everyones so concerned with Georgia. Fair enough away game, eastern european opposition but they are SHIT. They're 2nd last in the group below Lithuania. I was very worried about Ukraine game but I think we'll beat Georgia comfortably-ish. I'm still a bit concerned though.

Oh, and Shevschenko was never a pen. He took a fresh air swipe and fell onto whoever made the wayward tackle. Ref got it right

Anyway, we'll be coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the ref was actually pretty decent. I dunno if you're counting hutton's claim as a stonewaller but I remember thinking to myself when he started making the run "he's gonna dive here like he did against stuttgart' and I think he did. I don't think there was enough contact to result in him falling over and twisting his body like he always does therefore I think he was just looking for it.

The Hutton one is the type you will shout for because the defender clearly stuck a foot in, whether they get given tends to depend on the competence of the ref. I saw it clearly enough and I was at the other end of the ground! At least it didn't affect the result of the game.....

Don't know why everyones so concerned with Georgia. Fair enough away game, eastern european opposition but they are SHIT. They're 2nd last in the group below Lithuania. I was very worried about Ukraine game but I think we'll beat Georgia comfortably-ish. I'm still a bit concerned though.

Just a potential banana skin. It's Scotland, so we're used to something going wrong at some point. If we can beat France and Ukraine, then we SHOULD beat Georgia, but I'm sure we've all seen games where a team has been an overwhelming favourite but failed to break down the supposedly "weaker" team. Hope they win though, then the Italy game will be amazing.

Just a potential banana skin. It's Scotland, so we're used to something going wrong at some point. If we can beat France and Ukraine, then we SHOULD beat Georgia, but I'm sure we've all seen games where a team has been an overwhelming favourite but failed to break down the supposedly "weaker" team. Hope they win though, then the Italy game will be amazing.

Probably how France felt about playing Scotland.

I reckon we're going to narrowly beat Georgia, then concede a last mintute goal at 1-1 against Italy and not qualify. You know we will. It's us.

I reckon we're going to narrowly beat Georgia, then concede a last mintute goal at 1-1 against Italy and not qualify. You know we will. It's us.

C'mon, let's shake this pessimism, we're the best team in the fucking world!

Yep though, probably....

Brown and Hutton are definitely out. Fletcher and Murty in.

Brown and Ferguson were fucking awesome yesterday. Faddy is God.

Yup, could well happen. Are there any scenarios where both us and Italy could qualify by means of a draw and we can have one of those funny games where one team just passes the ball about to its own players in its own half?

This might sound a touch perverse, but 'fucking it up' in Georgia might not be the worst thing in the world. Anything less than a win in that game would force us to go out and win the Italy game at Hampden rather than risk sitting in for 90 minutes for a 0-0 (doing that generally tends to be suicide), which is the same result we're going to need even if we win in Georgia. The way we have been playing though, I don't think sitting in comes into it too much.

I can't even believe we're debating this for a start. Has this campaign actually been real?

Since the game is on BBC2, its getting shown round the UK with Gary Lineker doing the build up. It'll be interesting to see their take on our heroics, especially if Engerland get beat by Russia

Brown and (never thought i'd say this) Hutton will be a big loss, having pulled out. Several players nursing knocks and some on yellow card tightrope as well :(

I've got an awful feeling about Wednesday :down:

I've got an awful feeling about Wednesday :down:

Stop being miserable pessimistic buggers. We've got a chance to knock out one of the big guns from this tournament. Of course, there's being over confident, but I think Mcleish seems to be able to mentor the team into a state of mind where they can play without a huge amount of pressure on their shoulders. Have some faith lads!

This might sound a touch perverse, but 'fucking it up' in Georgia might not be the worst thing in the world. Anything less than a win in that game would force us to go out and win the Italy game at Hampden rather than risk sitting in for 90 minutes for a 0-0 (doing that generally tends to be suicide), which is the same result we're going to need even if we win in Georgia. The way we have been playing though, I don't think sitting in comes into it too much.

I can't even believe we're debating this for a start. Has this campaign actually been real?

We'd have to win by 2 clear goals though, as they beat us 2-0 in Bari.

We'd have to win by 2 clear goals though, as they beat us 2-0 in Bari.

If we beat Italy there's no way they can equal us on points so the head-to-head results won't come into it.

If my calculations are correct, out of the 9 possible combinations of results in our last two matches:

ww,dw,lw,wd-will all see us qualify

wl,dd-we need france to draw a match

dl,ld-we need france to lose a match

ll-we need france to drop points in both their games

The interesting thing is, if we beat Georgia it's not just that we need a draw against Italy to ensure qualification it's the fact that Italy will need to win. I don't really fancy our chances of breaking down an Italian defence playing for a draw, but if they have to push for a win our counter-attacking may be strong enough to nick the result we need.

If we beat Italy there's no way they can equal us on points so the head-to-head results won't come into it.

If my calculations are correct, out of the 9 possible combinations of results in our last two matches:

ww,dw,lw,wd-will all see us qualify

wl,dd-we need france to draw a match

dl,ld-we need france to lose a match

ll-we need france to drop points in both their games

The interesting thing is, if we beat Georgia it's not just that we need a draw against Italy to ensure qualification it's the fact that Italy will need to win. I don't really fancy our chances of breaking down an Italian defence playing for a draw, but if they have to push for a win our counter-attacking may be strong enough to nick the result we need.

Your getting all Charlie Nick on us!!!