aberdeen-music

Shooglenifty with Tanya Tagaq Gillis

Guest batterypowpow

Guest batterypowpow

From the Lemon Tree website:

"The musical paths of two innovative musical talents cross the arctic circle to present a unique Scottish Arts Council TuneUp tour of Scotland in November.

Scotland's own Shooglenifty are at the forefront of the folk/fusion Celtic music scene, with their trademark combination of superb musicianship, ensemble cohesion and inventiveness.

Tanya Tagaq Gillis from Nanuvut, Canada has brought the ancient Inuit vocal game of throat singing to the heights of the experimental music scene. Tanya's unique and extraordinary voice, rhythmic and passionate is an excellent foil to the band's musical textures and grooves, and her ability to improvise makes for a genuinely thrilling onstage collaboration. The combination is haunting, riveting and playful at the same time."

I've still not actually heard anything by Shooglenifty... doesn't sound like my thing but i'm interested to hear how Tagaq'll sound against a folk background.