aberdeen-music

filth launches on 27th Oct with The View and Wasted Little DJ's

filth

Were launching a new club night filth on 27th Oct in Moshulu.

We will be bringing some of the biggest, coolest and wildest bands to Aberdeen to give you a dirty and personal experience what its like to be at one of their private party's where they take control of the hifi you can here them play the music that they love!

On the launch night we're really excited to be bringing up the boys from Dundee, the view for a very special dj-set, along with their best mates the raucous Wasted Little DJ's, these guys really know how to party

Click here to get your tickets in advance

filth.jpg

Initially our night is a one-off with moshulu on the normal AIS night to see how it goes. We're promoting this independently with support from the Moshulu team. We've lots of interesting bands in the pipeline and would hope to take the night will go monthly if there's interest in it.

For those of you that are skeptical about the band/DJ thing, these guys are bringing the stuff which makes their world party to you! The View dj'd a couple of weeks ago in Edinburgh and totally had the packed club (Faith) rocking! Although Kieren did most of the DJ-ing the whole band were there. We've got a contract for the band to perform a DJ-set so hopefully they all will turn up - fingers crossed!

You should give it a try - you never know you might just like it!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

bands must be able to make a killing on this shit. i'd possibly be tempted if it was just a regular club price but paying 8.50 for this kinda thing is out of the question for me, when you have world renowned champion DJs playing at kef for a tenner!

bands must be able to make a killing on this shit. i'd possibly be tempted if it was just a regular club price but paying 8.50 for this kinda thing is out of the question for me, when you have world renowned champion DJs playing at kef for a tenner!

Haha, So your saying The View are not credible as DJ's but your happy to pay a tenner to see some DJ Random from SanFran or Berlin with minimal artistic integrity who's likely to play mostly their own bedroom produced boom boom boom!

What is happening now in wider clubland now is that your seeing major artists playing hip main room DJ sets and rocking the clubs with the tunes they love and has influenced the music they have made. The View and a whole bunch of other bands do this and they are as credible if not more credible than the 'world champion' DJ's that have dominated the club scene for the last 20 years. It really is a fresh experience.

If we knew all it took to make a club night credible was to have a tenner ticket we'd have set the price at that!

Anyway this is all good banter, and if you've never been to a band's club expererience, you really should try it, I'm sure you'll be surprised and as a bonus you'll have enough cash for another half pint! or chips on the way home.

Haha, So your saying The View are not credible as DJ's but your happy to pay a tenner to see some DJ Random from SanFran or Berlin with minimal artistic integrity who's likely to play mostly their own bedroom produced boom boom boom!

What is happening now in wider clubland now is that your seeing major artists playing hip main room DJ sets and rocking the clubs with the tunes they love and has influenced the music they have made. The View and a whole bunch of other bands do this and they are as credible if not more credible than the 'world champion' DJ's that have dominated the club scene for the last 20 years. It really is a fresh experience.

If we knew all it took to make a club night credible was to have a tenner ticket we'd have set the price at that!

Anyway this is all good banter, and if you've never been to a band's club expererience, you really should try it, I'm sure you'll be surprised and as a bonus you'll have enough cash for another half pint! or chips on the way home.

Why are they more credible?

Why are they more credible?

haha,

I'm just suggesting that they may be as, or more credible than other DJ's as people may want to know more about what influences their music and what they are getting into. At the end of the day a DJ's job is to entertain by selecting appropriate music to fit that instant in time, and these guys seem to fit that bill when they do their DJ sets!

Saying that, I've probably shot myself in the foot and they'll now probably turn up late without their tunes and unable to walk in straight line! :)

Yes because I'd rather hear fresh and diverse underground music from scenes around the globe being mixed by talented, passionate DJ's than listen to some twattish, generic, pointless soundalike provincial band play their no doubt incredibly predictable CD collection

What is happening now in wider clubland now is

You clearly have no idea about "clubland".

the view?? are they not awful?

haha!

Aberdeen seems to be getting loads of fairly big names coming up.

They are all far too mainstream and bland though! All I'm bothered about seeing in the next few months is Ian Brown (funnily enough) and Foo Fighters/Serj Tankian 8-).

All these bands like The View, MCR, Editors etc are here today gone tomorrow. Kings of Leon aren't bad though, they've gone quite prog with their new album.

Was meaning to go to see Inme too though.

saturday nights in moshulu is now Adventures in Stereo night.

its basically an indie / electro night with cheap drinks promos, free entry before midnight (or free completely if you PM me for guestlist) and live visuals.

you should come down and see what you think, is caused a bit of controversy with the old crowd (which i can understand why as its nothing like air guitar at all). but its had 500 plus people in since it started so must be doing something right.

here is the first nights playlist:

Myspace.com Blogs:adventuresinstereoclubnight MySpace Blog

and your likely to hear....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

arcade fire :! ! !: david bowie : new order: television: the velvet underground : the smiths : lcd soundsystem : the rapture : kings of leon : the strokes : adam green : lemonheads : lou reed : bob dylan : johnny cash : maximo park : futureheads : the rakes : mighty boosh music: iggy pop : the stooges : the clash : pixeltan : the kitchen cynics : joy division : dfa records : goldfrapp : love : nick drake : chemical brothers : sebAstian : primal scream : talking heads : dfa1979 : interpol : bright eyes : kasabian : jackson and his computer band : sue jorge : soulwax : erol alkan : datarock : radiohead : neil young : my morning jacket : blur : bloc party : air : the band : beach boys : the who : rolling stones : supper furry animals : the beatles : the zombies : pixies : editors : go team : the flaming lips : belle and sebastian : the kinks : simple kid : pink floyd : led zeppelin : bonnie prince billy : modest mouse: frightened rabbit : franz ferdinand : digitalism : sunshine underground : electric prunes : the cure : ed banger records : klaxons : css : devo : brmc : tapes and tapes: the little ones : we are scientists : MSTRKRFT : clap your hands say yeah : paul simon : peter, bjorn and john : justice : hot chip : walkmen : R.E. M : spankrock : cut copy : daft punk : the shins : midlake : bat for lashes : yeah yeah yeahs : the strokes : clor : jimi hendrix : the libertines : the beta band : sons and daughters : 2 many djs: the sonics : diplo : beastie boys : rage against the machine : muse : gang of four : band of horses : micheal jackson : tom vek : simian mobile disco : queens of the stone age : mystery jets : grinderman : idlewild : the cribs : shitdisco : mr oizo : mc5 : fujiya myagi : james brown ......................the list goes on and on......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't been to the mosh in quite a few weeks. Was never really a fan of the tunes on a Saturday night anyway. Usually i'd just sit in the quiet room or whatever it's called, hammered and drinking cocktails :up:. The prices are very good though compared to the awful commercial clubs in Aberdeen like Liquid and Pearl Lounge.

Some of that sounds quite good though eg 2 many djs, Libertines etc.

a bit of Prodigy, Pendulum, 65daysofstatic etc wouldn't go amiss too.

Just so long as there isn't too much of the generic indie stuff like Arctic Monkeys, Razorlight, Kaiser Chiefs etc.

My ideal club would play a mix of punk, indie, alternative rock etc and a bit of drum and bass, house etc!

yeah , i actually need to get in about some prodigy and pendulum because its been asked for a lot lately!

ive been djing in the student union, moshulu, snafu and tunnels and never once have i bowed to any request to play kaiser chiefs! i cannot stand them!

early razorlight is ok but rarely asked for these days since mr borrel went all tight and white on everyone!

and it used to be everyone asked for arctic monkeys but now its the cribs are probably the most asked for indie band on a saturday night. wierd how bands come and go.

i remember when the kooks first came out, all the girls used to mental for it so wed play it occasionally and then they got quite big and it wasnt cool to dance to them anymore so it was a floor killer - all within 4 weeks

im thinking in doing a report into disco science! what makes bodies dance!

i have some finding already but i guess there are much better things to do in life!

someone should do it tho , itd be fascinating!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

DJ Random is a renowned legend in 'clubland' and I would quite happily pay for his flight across from Berlin to hear his boom boom. Asides from Random, take Scratch Perverts on Saturday - multiple times DMC world champions, have won too many other world scratch championships to mention both as a group and individually (plus I cant remember any of them) possibly the best known turntablist outfit in the UK and a group which is not only 'credible' but highly regarded and a product of 10+ years of hands on DJing all over the world - the door tax? Ten bucks. Compare this to a bunch of flavour-of-the-week neds who will be lucky to get a second album's worth of cover tunes out before they dissapate into nothingness spinning some old rock songs and charging nearly as much, I think one of them constitutes a bit of a better deal really. Although a quick listen to the View is enough to reassure me of the enormous spectrum of influences that they clearly have, you are forgetting that it's not only rockstars who know their music - what exactly would you hear at a View DJ set that Steve Milne wouldn't spin at DHC or AIS?

Guest Tam o' Shantie
probably quite a lot of a difference in set to be honest

but id like to think in a good way on my behalf.

if you get my meaning.

who knows , maybe the view are the new grandmaster flash!

Yeah that was meant to be a positive comment towards your DJing! My point is that fame through being in a band does not a good DJ make, and if their style is 'playing the records that influenced them' then it sort of cements this idea, and unlike you having DJed at DHC etc. for 2ish years they (in my eyes) are just using their current status to fuck around with a few tracks and make an unjustified quick buck on the side!

Anyone who is remotely interested in music and the clubbing scene on more than surface level should go to this...I think this could be an insight for everyone.

Right now, it's impossible to make any presumptions about what it will be like.

It's easy to say that The View & the Wasted Little DJs are just going to turn up with their MacBook and randomly select material from their playlist. I'd be inclined to think that, but the fact that The View are taking their DJ crew along suggest thought beyond the usual turning-up-and-seeing-what-happens thing has gone into this.

Of course, that doesn't mean they DJ regularly and have any idea what mixes and what makes a dance floor. If they think The Stone Roses (just as an example) does so then they may be in for a nasty suprise....but really, who knows?

You can only find out by going along.

Do any resident DJs actually play The View in Aberdeen?