aberdeen-music

Can you recommend some Ambient music?

Hog

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really getting into electro and techno lately. Was on holiday a few weeks ago in Berlin techno city... some wicked clubs.

I think the Alex Smoke album stands up against anything I heard over there though. As an album it totally works, more of a journey, rather than it being a collection of disperate techno tunes.

there was a great program on radio 4 the other day "who likes techno"...plotting the birth and life of techno...

they talked about detroit origins,to berlin minimalism...

it was great!

I love my berlin sound...brinkmann and maurizio do it for me all the time.

'Rainbow Dome Musick' by Steve Hillage- best sleeping music ever, I once had a tape by an act called Silence, which was ultra chill, and an act called Sand (written in Santana-esque script) which was also ace. No mention of these obvious classics, but 'Chill Out' by the KLF remains the monumental construct of the style (also try 'Waiting for the Rites of Mu'), and 'Aphex Twin's 'Selected Ambient Works 85-92' is one of the best things I own. FSOL side project Amorphous Androgynous' 'Tales of Ephedrina' is better than anything they did under their regular name (ace samples of 'The Man Who Would Be King'). All of the above are suitably ambient (ish), whilst still retaining actual musical content, unlike some of the aural pap that much of the "chill out" genre consists of.

there was a great program on radio 4 the other day "who likes techno"...plotting the birth and life of techno...

they talked about detroit origins,to berlin minimalism...

it was great!

I love my berlin sound...brinkmann and maurizio do it for me all the time.

I'm pretty new to it all but the friends we were staying with were well into the scene. Pretty much everywhere we went was techno based music, couldn't tell what was berlin sound compared with anything else though. I'll check out the two you mention to expand my knowlege a bit!

The clubs there truely are underground, no frills but cool as and totally compliment the music. Nice and dirty. I'd say it's good to know people when your there to find the clubs as they are not obviously on the tourist map.

i'd recommend "nathaniel merriweather presents: lovage, music to make love to your old lady by. "

http://www.mp3.com/artist/lovage/songs/?tag=tabs;songs&om_act=convert&om_clk=arttabs

or mr bungles 'california' has some mellow yet surprisingly disturbing songs.

try pink cigarette or retrovertigo :

http://www.mp3.com/albums/369879/summary.html?tag=albums;img&om_act=convert&om_clk=artalb

ps, minimalist is just an excuse for lazy musicians

Ambient is awesome because its such a wide open genre. *If you class it a genre*

Alan Cynic and Teabags both recommending ambient on the same thread even although you guys are from very different musical backgrounds.

*I think Teabags will ignore this comment and mention things like...brainnnn, Insane and Bald fucker*:up:

MySpace.com - neon - athens - Ambient / Electronica / Experimental - www.myspace.com/atheneon

i downloaded "Au Theatre des Sons Imaginaires" by the band featured in the above link, it's hott shit.

also pretty much most things on kranky are a safe bet in this sort of area. the new record by white rainbow is decent, deerhunter and loscil are on that label too and worth checking out if you've not heard them. kompakt is another label chock-full of great "ambient" releases but half of their output is horrible glitchy minimal house stuff, not my cup of blood at all. there's a few compilations which showcase the good side of kompakt's repertoire, look for names like gas and markus guentner.

Ambient is awesome because its such a wide open genre. *If you class it a genre*

Alan Cynic and Teabags both recommending ambient on the same thread even although you guys are from very different musical backgrounds.

*I think Teabags will ignore this comment and mention things like...brainnnn, Insane and Bald fucker*:up:

I honestly didnt rate that Vorpal EP much until suggesting ti to you last night. Was in the office working alone last night listening to it and it's fucking ace. Wether you like it or not, remains to be seen. Let me know.

Oh yeah, BALD BREINS ARE INSAAAAAAAAAAAANE-UXICIDE!"!!"!"!"!"!""!!"!

I really want that album, but haven't seen it cheap anywhere. The tunes on Dizzler are cool.

Actually met him in Glasgow's Sub-Club about six months ago.

Can't remember how much I paid for it in one up but it wasn't anything like the online price was more like between 11 and 15. It looks like a lot of that goes to charity as well. It's the album I'm listening to most at the moment - great driving music.

What's the guy like?

i'd recommend "nathaniel merriweather presents: lovage, music to make love to your old lady by. "

or mr bungles 'california' has some mellow yet surprisingly disturbing songs.

try pink cigarette or retrovertigo :

ps, minimalist is just an excuse for lazy musicians

both excellent songs/music...but hardly "ambient" (?)

as for minimalism being "for lazy musicians", I know, you were probably joking....but I'd say it was harder and more focused than any old fucker who cobbles together anything because "it'll do".

Minimalism takes balls, if anything...not a lack of work ethics!

(it's a bit like calling Donald Judd "lazy"...)

Donald_judd.jpg

It's probably more towards jazz, but Cinematic Orchestra is worth a look.

That's all you're getting from me, NotBaldy......

I'll second that. The newie "Ma Fleur" is well worth checking out for some really stripped down nu-jazz. The previous albums are a bit busier though there are some great chilled moments on "Everyday".

Did you go and see them when they were on during Triptych at the Lemon Tree? They were brilliant. The support act (who incidentally does some vocals on Ma Fleur), Patrick Watson, is also worth a listen as well.

MySpace.com - Patrick Watson - Montreal, CA - Alternative / Electro / Ambient - www.myspace.com/patrickwatson

MySpace.com - The Cinematic Orchestra - UK - Electronica / Jazz / Soul - www.myspace.com/thecinematicorchestras

Also worth checking out are:

A Lily: MySpace.com - A Lily - Canterbury, UK - Electronica / Folk / Experimental - www.myspace.com/alily

This Will Destroy You: MySpace.com - this will destroy you - SAN MARCOS, TEXAS - Ambient / Rock / Thrash - www.myspace.com/thiswilldestroyyou

Magyar Posse: MySpace.com - magyar posse - Pori, Florida - Electro / Acoustic / Big Beat - www.myspace.com/magyarposse