aberdeen-music

Why is this site so quiet these days?

Guest idol_wild

although, i never see him at any gigs ? whats up with that ? :)

its almost like he's based an opinion on a dream he once had..

To be fair - I don't think I've ever seen you at a gig before.

The same can be said about several of the regular posters on here. The music scene up here is very lethargic, despite the fact that there are many very worthwhile acts doing the rounds.

But it extends further than that - so many quality acts play Aberdeen to miniscule attendances, and it's quite disheartening.

I do agree, however, that many promoters in Aberdeen just don't try anymore.

you may not see me at gigs for a few reasons...

i dont live in aberdeen, I live in Dundee - where I still put on gigs quite frequently. I travel to lots of gigs all over the country though, and I play a fair bit too. Rraely see you at anything unless hot mangu or black atom (both AUBL bands) are involved in

i dont go to watch comedy bands for the sake of going to see a band, i lost patience with watching shite bands I dont enjoy many moons ago.

• 2 weeks later...

ach well, i'm sure this site will find its way eventually: probably as a reintrepretation of a jumble sale or car-booter.

anyhow this discussion is indeed pretty pointless, the website feeds from the live band scene, not the other way round- and as most of us know through experience Aberdeen is shit for bands.

look-see,

the website's dull, cause the bands are dull.

there is no culture in this grey shit hole!

how come all the good bands move away? easy, because Aberdeen is crap for bands- there is no compitition, no "scene" no common drive. its a hole, with very little redemptive factors. yes, it's isolated: but that means fuck all when those that are isolated are about as interested in music as going to moshulu twice a week and talking shite.

It's balls.

Every good band or for that matter "so called" good band from Aberdeen has either done down their home town or simply fucked off, what does that say about this place?

the stars of the scene are hope less, like maxwell says-hot mangu etc, Hog and his pish metal band, various other crap, black atoms iron maiden tribute, MMW generic mtv2 conservative "gay rock", etc

Honestly, i think Aberdeen has an "ear" related problem, i went to a gig jist afore xmas- the needles and copy ha-ho, and to hear some of the promo on here i was expecting great things: the ha-ho were okay, and the needles were just average- basically pub rock......why was it so busy?, i'll never understand.

i dig music, buy and download a lot of stuff- but locally, particularly this website which sums up the views of most aberdonians i just cant make sense of the way you think!

( for years this has been my dilema)

its funny, for a while, but i have seen some great shows by Aberdeen bands and they allmost allways fuck off somewhere else. I know the score, we are all supposed to sing the praises of established acts- but fuck me- i've seen a lot of them and Maple were shite, as were quack/quik/k-wick, the needles left me cold, etc etc..........

basically the "scene" is fucked, and as a parisite of the scene this web-cock reflects the down turn.

EVERYONE MOVE TO GLASGOW

but obviously my opinion means very little. i'm guessing inverness is better for bands than the 'deen!

also the moderators have fucked debate on here. without a doubt.

i see the qualities that make someone put them selves forward as a moderator personality_wise are quite close to mental illness, but thats jist me.

night ,

take care.

Yup, it's just you. Care to mention one instance in which the mods have stifled debate on this site? I think you'll find it very hard to do. In fact, myself and the rest of the staff are often the ones entering the fray and getting our hands dirty rather than warning others off it.

Actually, I think the problem is that others are keen to stifle debate. Maybe less so now - but there was a long, long term problem on here in that people would shout down anything that they didn't want to hear for whatever reason.

Actually, I think the problem is that others are keen to stifle debate. Maybe less so now - but there was a long, long term problem on here in that people would shout down anything that they didn't want to hear for whatever reason.

It's an internet forum though, not a debating chamber. I suppose you have to accept that the odd person will simply ask people to simply 'fuck off' if they are challenged.

Yup, it's just you. Care to mention one instance in which the mods have stifled debate on this site? I think you'll find it very hard to do. In fact, myself and the rest of the staff are often the ones entering the fray and getting our hands dirty rather than warning others off it.

We only ever moderate when there are signs that the debate is being lost in the squall of personal attacks and private vendettas that used to crop up all too frequently. There have been members on this site, who no longer post here for a variety of reasons, for whom the bitching and shit-stirring were their sole reason for being here. We're glad they've gone.

I would agree with you, though, that this site is a reflection of the local music scene, and it's holding up remarkably well when you consider the alarming slump that has occurred in terms of the quality and variety of local music in recent times. There's nothing ab-music can do about that, it's up to the community as a whole to dig themselves out. When they've done that, we have this repository of information and communication ready for them to use as they please.

Until then, it's worth pointing out that this site still gets 200,000 hits a day and is one of the most widely-read and acknowledged web communities in Scotland. Maybe people are posting less than they were five years ago, but we have more active members (ie. people who have logged in in the last month) now than we did then, so they're just reading more and making contributions when necessary, rather than posting irrelevant material that is now the domain of IM services and sites such as myspace.

okay Dave , credit due etc-

possibly i'm getting teary eyed of the old days with the fudge an aubl free for all forums- when there was very little moderation. glory days.

i do admit to the wind up for the sake of it, but underneath it all i do actually have an interest in the state of aberdeen's music scene besides my own limited input. its dying on its arse- not just bands i rate, but all bands in general. but i reckon this is a cyclical thing, it will eventually sort itself out.....its jist so depressing to witness.

anyhow.

well done Dave,

we'll never agree but at least you argue....

nice one.

here's to the bleak years before the explosion of aberdeen rock.

anyway my opinion aint really valid , i only post on here pissed/or out of it in some way...

but i'm sure you all knew that anyway.

Guest Steven Dedalus
I also forgot to mention the fact that a "review system" would be a big attention grabber. If you had writers to review gigs/cd's etc, you could potentially have Aberdeen's own mini version of "The Skinny" on here.

See, I'd be more than happy to write more reviews for the site (obviously not gig reviews, cos the travelling from Belfast to Aberdeen every night would be very time consuming...I mean cd reviews or whatever, or even articles.) but no-one ever seems to go into the review section.

If anyone were keen to have a bash at putting more content up there, I'd be keen.

On an unrelated note, I go on here more now than I ever did when I lived in the city (which I haven't done for about two years or so) and I find it's a pretty good way of keeping up to date with what's happening.

Now, the real question is this:

Why on earth do I want to keep up to date with what's happening in Aberdeen? I haven't a clue.

you've gotta be kidding me?

get a clue you prick!

stewcat=

plays in comedy rock band.

Holy fuck,

yer worse than HOG!

yer band symbolises what's wrong up here, no offence, but you lot are hogging the artistic bandwidth with you're comedy, insincere, college-jock fuck-wittery.

so you see what i mean?

you probably dont, because you are DULL< DULL< DULL>!

happy smiley face though. LOL

I would post new projects/things I have recorded up here but it is always the same people who respond and I already know exactly what they are going to say about it. There is rarely any relevant critic of anyone's work (or certainly for anything that Ive put up). It's either some asshole who has an over inflated opinion of himself, taste in music, knowledge of production, or a generic compliment from one of your mates.

Lack of any constructive feedback puts me off using this site as a place to display my work - there are better places where people can help expand your ideas rather than imediately designate them as shit.

I'll post gigs up here when I do them and I will get in touch with people I think have similar views and taste in music. I also buy things from people from time to time.

The truth is that there are lots of good bands and musicians in Aberdeen, it's just that this site is not the place they spend all of their time. If they did, I'm sure the music discussion would be a lot more diverse and interesting as a result.

I would post new projects/things I have recorded up here but it is always the same people who respond and I already know exactly what they are going to say about it. There is rarely any relevant critic of anyone's work (or certainly for anything that Ive put up). It's either some asshole who has an over inflated opinion of himself, taste in music, knowledge of production, or a generic compliment from one of your mates.

Lack of any constructive feedback puts me off using this site as a place to display my work - there are better places where people can help expand your ideas rather than imediately designate them as shit.

Theres a lot to be said for that. I think a lot of bands, espeically new ones are put off putting music up because their unlikely to get decent feedback from anyone. Even if they do put stuff up, i think unless you're a well established band most people won't even give half the stuff put up a second glance.

I find 'constructive criticism' has the problem of coming across as quite condescending, as the giver is usually implying they have better knowledge of the musical goal than the artist, rather than simply giving their own opinion (which may be in-constructive, but at least it's just one persons shout).

'Course, that doesn't mean people can't be polite!

Basically this is what needs to happen in the feedback forum:

1.) Don't be a pussy, post up your tunes, share the goodness etc

2.) Never gush ridiculous hyperbole about your own project.

3.) Don't act like a baby if someone criticises your work - if you can't take it on the chin you need to grow up.

4.) Don't disrespect people who've taken the time to listen to your material and write a response if you don't like what they have to say. For example, posting up a hiphop track will attract comments from hiphop heads, don't cast aspersions on the credentials of such respondents if they slate your material as being toy RockAustin. See point 2.

5.) It should be a very open and permissive forum for bouncing ideas around, people should try and be polite but at the same time be prepared for blunt criticism.

Basically this is what needs to happen in the feedback forum:

Fair point Stripey. I can admit that I over reacted on that one, it can be pretty hard to restrain yourself when you are putting a lot of effort into something and feel passionately about it, makes it easy to go on the defensive. So, sorry about that and genuinely thanks for taking the time. At the end of the day it is the fans of a genre that you are trying to impress so if they or some of them are not feeling it, you may have to go back to the songs (or drawing board) and try harder.

That was then and this is now anyway, new projects and new ideas, learn from mistakes... like you say, the feedback forum could be a better place. I do listen to most things that go up there regardless of genre, I don't have time to respond to most of it.

I am still maintaining that there are heaps of quality musicians that don't frequent these boards or at least never make posts.

stewcat=

plays in comedy rock band.

Holy fuck,

yer worse than HOG!

yer band symbolises what's wrong up here, no offence, but you lot are hogging the artistic bandwidth with you're comedy, insincere, college-jock fuck-wittery.

so you see what i mean?

you probably dont, because you are DULL< DULL< DULL>!

happy smiley face though. LOL

god. chill oot. i was being post-ironic.