aberdeen-music

Why is this site so quiet these days?

Guest Neutral
Comments on the site (which this quite obviously is) are housed in the Comments and Suggestions forum.

Dave - Brick wall meets head a recurring theme with you it seems for me

It is not a comment, it it is not a suggestion it is a question asking all users "why is the site so quiet these days?" it would be better being placed in a section which is viewed by more users - general discussion - music discussion

Whilst I await a reply i have a date with a brick wall, gonna gimme some loving

Whenever I talk to someone who I know has just started a band, or is looking for advice on it etc... this is the first place I tell them to look, because everyone is helpful (and sarcastic... but hey, it's character building) and they can get invaluable information.

I'm always surprised at the amount of people who don't know about this website, because years ago practically everyone I knew was a member, or visited it regularly.

I will admit, I agree it seems "dead" nowadays :(

• 2 months later...

I remember back in the day. Any gig of importance i.e 100+ people attending in Aberdeen would probably get talked about on here.

Since then there has been a lack of established Aberdeen bands. Black Atom have done very little in the way of gigging. Same goes for Qwik, Hot Mangu and other 'established' Aberdeen bands, Not heard anything about fat hippy records or any bands accociated with it for a while.

There are plenty of gigs still happening but it seems to largely be bands who do a few gigs here and there rather than weekly or monthly with plenty people attending and promotion to suit.

Also, there now is, and has been for some time a few key members on this forum who aren't always the most pleasant of people and the more 'pro-establishment' views have been over-represented in recent times, particualrly with SOME of the moderators (YES, I SAID IT. SCREENSHOT WILL BE TAKEN)

As far as I am concerned, the content of the forum being less worthwhile these days as well as a lack of established bands with friends positing on this forum are the main reason why this forum has partially died.

I wouldn't say the website is exactly dying on it's arse. I still find out about nearly 100% of gigs I attend through Aberdeen-music.com.

Not getting to make poor digs at each other because of stick-in-the-mud moderators? Disaster!

p.s. No established Aberdeen acts since Black Atom, Hot Mangu and Quik? You must be kidding...

I wouldn't say the website is exactly dying on it's arse. I still find out about nearly 100% of gigs I attend through Aberdeen-music.com.

As is generally the case with myself. The difference being, I hear of no discussion about them afterwards on the vast majority of ocasions. A few years a go I could come on here and guarentee there would be discussion about most of the gigs I attend.

p.s. No established Aberdeen acts since Black Atom, Hot Mangu and Quik? You must be kidding...

I haven't not noticed any being talked about on here a great deal. This is not to say they do not exist, merely that they have not been focus of much discussion on this forum.

My friend's band supported a band that were apparently signed to some record company and played on radio 1, cannot remember name. They weren't that well recieved at the gig concidering their backing. Indie style or something like that. Anyone know anything of them?

Then there is My Minds Weapon who are doing rather well for themselves.

Apart from that, I am not aware of anything you could class as an 'established' band that has appeared in the last couple of years.

lol@filthpact & pvh doing euro tours and releasing records on real labels

versus the likes of comedy bands like hot mangu

hehe

he says that

but maxi fuckin loves us

although, i never see him at any gigs ? whats up with that ? :)

its almost like he's based an opinion on a dream he once had..

come and make your dreams come true..

Friday 28th Dec @ The Tunnels

- Hot Mangu, Whiskey Trail, Malera, Ded Rabbit, Ice in the Fire

:up:

xx

Where are all the people

Taking into consideration that Aberdeen is supposed to be the largest city north of Scotland it is peculiar that their isnt more life on the site. Though I think its a reflection really of the general attitude of people towards the music scene.

Ive often discussed with many local musicians, that the metal scene at least is abomitable. Hardly anyone shows up to metal bands gigs even with ample advertisement. And I think its a shame because it forces good bands to lose heart or go elsewhere to try their luck.

And I think its a combination of two things. First is the general attitude people dont want to go see bands they want to be guarenteed a band they will love. Alot of people love hot mangu, black atom and mmw but not everyone can be lucky enough to support these guys. Not that itd make a difference as theirs this weird phenomenon of people magically arriving when their band they want to see is up then they high tail it like someone farted in the pit. Which I think is wrong and unfair on other bands trying to build a fanbase you pay 3-4 pounds to see one band wtf?!

Tony (of element 106) was telling me that a few years ago people would just turn up didnt matter who was playing theyd just turn up have a laugh, have a drink and enjoy the music whether it was good or pish. Their needs to be that kind of attitude again.

The second thing is promotion their seems to be nigh on no promotion from promoters(ironically), the scene seems to be word of mouth primarily which might work in a sweet little village in the country but in a city its very impractical. Their needs to be more promoters in aberdeen I think. Their needs to be more reviewing of local gigs and more advertisement of local bands to start a buzz and get people to gigs. Promotion needs to be employed to get people excited about local bands like they do about famous bands.