aberdeen-music

starting guitar (again)

south_trendkill

hey

i played guitar a few years ago, got the basics sussed like the major chords and stuff.

picked up guitar again last week, hoping to seriously improve my playing. im mostly into metal stuff but am keen to learn all kinds of styles.

Does anyone have any recommendations on songs that cover quite alot of basic technique, or any scales/excersises i should be working on? That would be of great help!

thanks

i learned from guitar magazines, total guitar is the most popular... guitar techniques is better and has more stuff but is in general a lot more advanced

basic chords... minor, major, dominant 7ths

basic scales... major and minor pentatonics... maybe blues, major, maybe dorian or aeolian (natural minor) and mixolydian. if you learn scales its more important to understand how the scale works (e.g. what chords it fits over etc) rather than practising it all over the neck)

oh and learn all the notes on the fretboard :up:

i learned from guitar magazines, total guitar is the most popular... guitar techniques is better and has more stuff but is in general a lot more advanced

basic chords... minor, major, dominant 7ths

basic scales... major and minor pentatonics... maybe blues, major, maybe dorian or aeolian (natural minor) and mixolydian. if you learn scales its more important to understand how the scale works (e.g. what chords it fits over etc) rather than practising it all over the neck)

oh and learn all the notes on the fretboard :up:

Well put.

Also, even when just watching tv i used to just strum on the guitar real fast(Or slow,whatever)...even just one note. you would be amazed how fast your speed and accuracy improves. learnt it in a scott ian practice thing, helped me lots.

You can download varies books covering technique , theory and all that kind of stuff on internet.. or you can buy them...........

for example:

troy stetina - has varies books covering technique, styles

michael angelo batio - speed kills and few others from the metal methods

guthrie govan

Scott Henderson - melodic phrasing

and so on.

Practice daily , 4-5 hours a day would be perfect if you have the time or even more.

• Upvote 1

You can download varies books covering technique , theory and all that kind of stuff on internet.. or you can buy them...........

for example:

troy stetina - has varies books covering technique, styles

michael angelo batio - speed kills and few others from the metal methods

guthrie govan

Scott Henderson - melodic phrasing

and so on.

Practice daily , 4-5 hours a day would be perfect if you have the time or even more.

yeah these would be very good, although again i would say these are really for more advanced players. paul gilberts 'intense rock' series gets mentioned a lot as well. 'creative guitar' and 'creative guitar 2: cutting edge techniques' i think are the names of the guthrie govan ones... best player in the world technique-wise imo, well worth checking out (maybe once you get the basics down...)

Well put.

Also, even when just watching tv i used to just strum on the guitar real fast(Or slow,whatever)...even just one note. you would be amazed how fast your speed and accuracy improves. learnt it in a scott ian practice thing, helped me lots.

That's how I learned, i'm totally self taught (with the help of magazines of course) But there will come a stage when you should think about getting a teacher, at least for afew lessons to pick up tricks you may not learn from any magazine.

That's how I learned, i'm totally self taught (with the help of magazines of course) But there will come a stage when you should think about getting a teacher, at least for afew lessons to pick up tricks you may not learn from any magazine.

If you have friends who play guitar, you'll learn those tricks off of them for free.

i disagree... guitar techniques, for example, has some of the best teachers (and guitarists in general) in the uk writing for it. having someone show you stuff in person, one to one, might help you learn faster but i don't think it's good value

keep on strumming!

Yo dudes!

tks for the laughs via some of the replies. made me chuckle somewhat. i've owned my Ibanez for some years now and never picked up a lesson, magazine, video etc, ( which would explain why i can't play ), however i can throw a tune together which, when mixed with some hallucigenics, brings me much happiness.

stay cool and keep on strumming - the Zigster