aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Woolies

"You Cannot Give Reputation To This Post"

A javascript popup error saying "sorry, you cannot give reputation to this post etc, etc" when using the rolldown give reputation box from the star button to the top right of posts.

Tried with a couple of posts / different users in [thread=45609]this thread[/thread] but with no luck for any :(

Checked my usercp options and the FAQ I look to be able to use the rep system...?

(member for few years so I should have some influence despite the low post count?)

also the error messge has <br />'s in it when the phrase should be using \n line breaks instead ;)

A javascript popup error saying "sorry, you cannot give reputation to this post etc, etc" when using the rolldown give reputation box from the star button to the top right of posts.

Tried with a couple of posts / different users in [thread=45609]this thread[/thread] but with no luck for any :(

Checked my usercp options and the FAQ I look to be able to use the rep system...?

(member for few years so I should have some influence despite the low post count?)

You can't give reputation to users for posts in any of the General Discussion forums. The theory being reputation should only be given for posts in the on-topic forums (e.g. Music Discussion forum etc)

ahh right cool.

What are you using to dissallow rep in those forums if I may ask?

A plugin at the showthread_start hook matching forumids and setting $show['reputationlink'] = false should disable showing the button but still show the rep dots :)

$no_rep_forums = array(1,2,3,4);
if (in_array($threadinfo['forumid'], $no_rep_forums))
{
$show['reputationlink'] = false;
}

Not tested (might need to be placed in a postbit factory hook) & technically you could then still give rep via manually created url typed into the address bar but not showing the button may be a more user-friendly choice if the option isn't there :)

ahh right cool.

The site just runs on vbulletin, it's all point and click administration isn't it.

ahh right cool.

A plugin at the showthread_start hook matching forumids and setting $show['reputationlink'] = false should disable showing the button but still show the rep dots :)

$no_rep_forums = array(1,2,3,4);
if (in_array($threadinfo['forumid'], $no_rep_forums))
{
$show['reputationlink'] = false;
}

Not tested (might need to be placed in a postbit factory hook) & technically you could then still give rep via manually created url typed into the address bar but not showing the button may be a more user-friendly choice if the option isn't there :)

A popular American three - piece fronted by Pharrell Williams has popped up in my mind.

The site just runs on vbulletin, it's all point and click administration isn't it.
basically yeah but Neil has added a number of nice custom bits & bobs - the reputation/influence tweaks aren't out-of-the box vBulletin, I don't recognise the implementation and I just reckoned not showing the rep button when it has no purpose may be a cleaner solution for casual & irregular posting site members like myself.
A popular American three - piece fronted by Pharrell Williams has popped up in my mind.
I had to google that reference. Music geek beats code nerd, oh noes~!
  • Upvote 1

Umm...you can specify which forums that reputation for posts cannot be given for under the User Reputation Options in the admin control panel.

Cheers for that. I'll give that a try sometime as I agree it would be a lot more user-friendly to just remove the reputation button from posts within those forums. Unfortunately, I'm not finding much time to do anything on this web site as of late.

Umm...you can specify which forums that reputation for posts cannot be given for under the User Reputation Options in the admin control panel.
not in the default install you can't! (Although I admit I had to check across three sites to make sure...)
Cheers for that. I'll give that a try sometime as I agree it would be a lot more user-friendly to just remove the reputation button from posts within those forums. Unfortunately, I'm not finding much time to do anything on this web site as of late.

You've managed to upgrade to Photopost vBGallery 2.3 which is more than any of the sites I work on have done yet!

It's nice when a forum based site gets up to speed and just keeps itself ticking over though :)

If you start putting your own edits in the code, what happens when you upgrade?

vBulletin supports a very high degree of customisation through its own proprietary hooks and templates system, so a lot of the customisations you make aren't usually performed at the PHP code level so when most upgrades are performed nothing needs to be done. For example, the code that Woolies mentions above would actually be stored in the database and unless vBulletin changed the variables used for reputation, or the way the reputation system worked, then the code would never need to be changed or reapplied following an upgrade.