aberdeen-music

Cops with speed cameras

Lemonade

What happens if you get caught by a copper parked at the side of the road with a speed gun? (or whatever they're called). Is it the same as one of those speed cameras and you just get a penalty notice through your door? I got caught by a copper yesterday when I was doing about 80 mph, I was expecting to get pulled over or something. I saw him just as he was pointing the gun thing at me, he started making pointy waving gestures at me but I just kept driving. Am I looking at points and a fine?

dont know if this is true but i was told this once:

there was a guy in some supercar got caught by a speedo saying he clocked around 125mph.

he didnt pay, didnt pay, didnt pay etc until court day came up.

he went in to court with the papers proving his car had been restricted to 95 top speed the day before he was caught.

good stuff

dont know if this is true but i was told this once:

there was a guy in some supercar got caught by a speedo saying he clocked around 125mph.

he didnt pay, didnt pay, didnt pay etc until court day came up.

he went in to court with the papers proving his car had been restricted to 95 top speed the day before he was caught.

good stuff

............................."good stuff".....err?

What happens if you get caught by a copper parked at the side of the road with a speed gun? (or whatever they're called). Is it the same as one of those speed cameras and you just get a penalty notice through your door? I got caught by a copper yesterday when I was doing about 80 mph, I was expecting to get pulled over or something. I saw him just as he was pointing the gun thing at me, he started making pointy waving gestures at me but I just kept driving. Am I looking at points and a fine?

Your speedo is more than likely optimistic, usually by about 10% or so, but dont count on it. Usually, but not guaranteed, you need to be doing 11 miles an hour over the limit before getting busted, if I presume the speed limit was 70mph, you may well get away with it, if however it is 30, 40, 50 or 60, you will get a call from an officer accompanied by an onsite car crushing lorry, which is a good laugh for friends family and neighbours.

I'm hoping you're pulling my chain Harry! It was a 70 zone, dual carraigeway was just about to run out and go back to 60 single carraigeway and there was a bus in front of me I didn't want to get stuck behind so I pulled out to pass him. Good job he wasn't a wee bit farther back cos I was doing 90 about 20 seconds before that.

If you had a clean licence, IME you would probably have been better-off pulling-over. In these situations, if you are only a little over the limit & a traffic officer is involved, the chances of escaping with only a bit of an ear bashing/discussion of your driving & maybe a producer are very good indeed. They only tended to prosecute the most pig-headed/dangerous etc. By not stopping, you have probably made the issue of a ticket a dead cert tho.

If it was a partnership van, you would probably be getting a ticket however, whatever you do - they have different rules.

i'm no angel but I've got years worth of clean licence & I'd attribute that to applying the old saying, "eat shit & like it" on the occasions I've been pulled-over.

I wondered that too. IIRC, they used to need at least two to work with the gun but the regs have changed a lot recently However, I have seen them work with one officer sitting nearby, observing & only stepping-in when needed.

Mind you, if you already had unspent speeding points, I would probably expect them to charge you, even for a minor speeding offence.

Im not sure how a man with a speed gun could even enforce a speeding fine like this, if he is just using radar to catch your speed then taking down numberplates, then how can their be proof that you were speeding? With no photos etc...they surely dont have a leg to stand on. Normally when they are gunning cars, they will persue an offender to enforce the speeding fine. So i would say you will be fine.

Unless it was a camera in the back of the van deely, then you are probably looking at 3 points.

Im not sure how a man with a speed gun could even enforce a speeding fine like this, if he is just using radar to catch your speed then taking down numberplates, then how can their be proof that you were speeding? With no photos etc...they surely dont have a leg to stand on. Normally when they are gunning cars, they will persue an offender to enforce the speeding fine. So i would say you will be fine.

Unless it was a camera in the back of the van deely, then you are probably looking at 3 points.

I was expecting there to be another lot of em further up the road pulling over folk that had been speeding or the guy with the gun to follow me and pull me over, but nope nothing, fingers crossed, I don't really want 6 points on my licence.

• 3 weeks later...
I allegedly got caught doing 120 by a front facing camera car but got away with it as I was on my bike (no front plates :up:)

nowt like doing just under twice the speed limit (dual carriage way) and "getting away with it"...

lets just hope that the people you zoom past don't shit themselves and have a crash.

you cunt.

I was expecting there to be another lot of em further up the road pulling over folk that had been speeding or the guy with the gun to follow me and pull me over, but nope nothing, fingers crossed, I don't really want 6 points on my licence.

Why not just try driving at a normal speed? You don't lose points, you save money on fuel and it decreases the chance of killing yourself and/or someone else....

Why not just try driving at a normal speed? You don't lose points, you save money on fuel and it decreases the chance of killing yourself and/or someone else....

That's a mince idea. :laughing:

I don't generally drive ridiculously fast, I usually sit about 70 on the single caraaiageways and 80 on the dual carriageways, but I'd been stuck behind trucks and buses that day for about 20 miles, I was frustrated as fuck and late for work.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

As someone who spends most of his driving time jawing on his fucken mobile, you're in no position to preach safe driving...

:up: