aberdeen-music

Distortion

Guest Bob

I'm looking to get myself a new distortion pedal and wondered what you guys might recommend.

I want something that's gonna sound rich and full and isn't gonna lose me tone quality.

I'd heard that tube pedals were the best option but I'm open to suggestions.

No real budget in mind.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get a Boss DS2 - they're crap. I used the DS2 for years then I got an MXR distortion + and it's miles better. Nice and warm sounding though it lacks a little bottom end - I just balanced it out by setting treble between 0 & 3 and mid around 5/6. It's all analogue & hand wired (i think) - around the 100 mark.

I'm looking to get myself a new distortion pedal and wondered what you guys might recommend.

I want something that's gonna sound rich and full and isn't gonna lose me tone quality.

No real budget in mind.

sounds like you want an 'overdrive' rather than a 'distortion' pedal. something less extreme than what's been recommended. i don't use any pedals, but i hear crowther hotcakes are awesome, for example

Proco rat sound absolutely beautiful in my opinion. It can go from a crunchy (i cannot think of another word) overdrive to a full distortion and maintains a lot of clarity even when maxxxxed out on the distortion knob. Doesn't alter your tone too muchthe filter is great for pushing the mids a bit from your clean tone so you can cut through or just add a bit more clarity on chords.

No real budget in mind.

The magic words, "no budget in mind" If you don't mind waiting and how much you spend, Pete Cornish will take about 400 quid off you for some exceptional quality pedals, including SS-3 (soft sustain), P-2 (fuzz!?) or G-2 (distortion).

These pedals are expensive, over twice the price of the tone bones, and only have 3 knobs to play with, but they are very very good.

Pete Cornish

if interested.

what amp and guitar are you playing through bob? it will often make the decision for you

I'm playing through an old Marshal Valvestate 100R combo (bought it new when I started gigging) with a Fender Strat Delux, maple neck, noiseless pick-ups. Very similar to Clapton's 'Blackie' I believe. I like the clean sound I get with it but I've never really found a distortion or overdrive sound I like very much.

The happiest I ever was with the distortion sound was when using Kai's Mesa Boogie combo which had a distortion channel with a graphic equalizer - it was powerful and rounded and pretty dammed tasty.

Oh, and thanks for everyone's advice so far.

regarding the metal muff, anybody know where i can get one? sounds damn good.. .

Have you tried it? It does sound really good and is not a fizzy distortion but I *think* it may be lacking in low end a bit...My memory is pretty hazy.

R&B had one in but I think it's sold. They could probably order another. Im sure there are a million places online who will have it too.

Have you tried it? It does sound really good and is not a fizzy distortion but I *think* it may be lacking in low end a bit...My memory is pretty hazy.

I have one, it's ace. It even impressed Flash at the Moorings. It has plenty of low end, and has quite responsive tone controls (bass, middle, treble).

boss metal zone in versatile shocker!!!

to bob.

to be totally honest you would be better off investing in a good amp and use the drive from the amp, you have a wicked guitar that will sing through a nice head and cab.

with such a nice guitar i would reccomend a nice valve amp to quench your thirst for sweet thick drive or distortion (whichever you choose).

going from what you have been saying, a marshall jcm 800 (the 100w) or any of the JMP series would be a good shout, as would a sovtek mig 60 or 100w(given that you would like clean). I would do a bit of reading on some of the guitarists forums and see what is going, you will often find gems on the classified sections at much less a price than on the ebays of the world.

boss metal zone in versatile shocker!!!

to bob.

to be totally honest you would be better off investing in a good amp and use the drive from the amp, you have a wicked guitar that will sing through a nice head and cab.

with such a nice guitar i would reccomend a nice valve amp to quench your thirst for sweet thick drive or distortion (whichever you choose).

going from what you have been saying, a marshall jcm 800 (the 100w) or any of the JMP series would be a good shout, as would a sovtek mig 60 or 100w(given that you would like clean). I would do a bit of reading on some of the guitarists forums and see what is going, you will often find gems on the classified sections at much less a price than on the ebays of the world.

I agree to a point with this. 100watts isn't essential. A good valve amp is loud, 50watts will be perfect. A JCM800 would be a good amp though.

If you really want a Boogie, you could perhaps pickup a DC-5 at a not overly stupid price on eGay.

aye but with the 50 it is hard to get a good, brisk clean without it breaking into some level of drive

personally, i like the 100w to get the kind of warmth and entirely clean sound i like as I play gigs without mics on the guitar regularly

i have used a 50w version of the 800 many many times, and i dont like the clean at all as it isnt actually clean (a revalved amp too i might add). the drive is fuckign lush and you really get to work the valves for that thick rich tone, but you can still push the 100 well