aberdeen-music

i want to buy a ps3- any recommended cheap places?

JJ 10 Easy Wishes

Gamestation are doing a couple of second hand ones just now, but presuming you want the joy of putting your first smeary fingerprints on the uber shiny cover as you try to wrestle all one and a half tonnes of it out the box... as far as i can remember around town most places are still going it for pretty much 425, you may get it a little cheaper elsewhere, it's all about the bundles just now until we're due a price drop. HMV are doing like 3 games and a controller or 2 games and 2 blu-rays and a controller for 425 i think. Looks like amazon are doing it with 2 games, an HDMI cable and a spare controller for 400.

You're unlikely to get it for much cheaper unless you go second hand just now.

I got mine from Game, no reason, just coz of midnight opening on launch day really, tho it did come with some form of 3 year cover i think, but i honestly dont remember that much about it, i was a little preoccupied at the time with my new toy.

One of the worst kept secrets in the games industry has finally been officially announced. After a flurry of rumours and leaks that a new 40GB SKU of the PlayStation 3 would be coming' date=' Sony has finally confirmed the speculation is, in fact, no longer speculation.

The new 40GB version will debut in the UK on October 10 and is "no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation 2 titles," according to Sony. It will also only sport two USB slots instead of four and will ditch the multimemory card port--although this can be added on with an accessory. The 40GB version will go on sale at a price point of 299 (about $610).

In a statement, Sony said of the lack of backwards compatibility that it reflected, "both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive lineup of PS3-specific titles."

When asked about PSOne games, Sony told GameSpot, "the backwards compatibility of PSOne titles is achieved through software and the vast majority of PSOne titles are backwards compatible with the new PS3." Sony did not return calls to comment by press time on why PlayStation 2 compatibility--which has always been handled with software in European PS3s--could not be achieved with the new model as well.

That's not all UK Sony fans are getting for the holidays. Sony also announced a price drop on the standard 60GB version, which will continue to be sold alongside the new model. The current Starter Pack, which boasted a 60GB PS3, two first-party games, and two Sixaxis controllers, will be discontinued.

It will be replaced by the new Value Pack, which will feature a backwards compatible 60GB PS3, one Sixaxis wireless controller, two first-party titles, and will cost 349 (about $712)--a 76 (about $155) price drop from the current price of 425 (about $868).

"As we approach our very first PlayStation Christmas, it is satisfying to be able to offer UK consumers the choice of two PlayStation 3 packages both now representing remarkable value," commented Ray Maguire, managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment UK.

[/quote']

Thought it might be of intrest man, dunno about that PS2 backwards compatability, they fixed the old 60Gb's with a network update, dunno why they wont just do it with these ones, odd. Anyway, yer 60's a good dose cheaper now too.