aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Lester Burnham

Prince @ The O2 Arena

So... Prince's 21 dates have finished. Who went along to see the purple one perform? Verdicts? Apparently Winehouse pitched up to the final performance on Friday.

I was treated to the below on September 13th with a special appearance from Elton John for The Long And Winding Road. Frankly, the performance could only be described as flawless and the best thing I've ever seen (I never thought I'd say that about anyone).

Let's Go Crazy

I Feel For You

Controversy/Housequake

Shhh

Musicology

What A Wonderful World/Your Song

Little Red Corvette/I Would Die 4 U/Under The Cherry Moon/Love Is A Losing Game/Satisfied/Diamonds & Pearls/The Beautiful Ones/Sometimes It Snows In April

Cream

U Got The Look

Take Me With U

Guitar

Kiss

Purple Rain

Long & Winding Road w/ Elton John

Crazy

Nothing Compares 2 U

If I Was Your Girlfriend

Bennie & The Jets/Sign 'O' The Times/Soft & Wet/When Doves Cry/Alphabet Street/DMSR/Darling Nikki/Raspberry Beret

A Love Bizarre

Chelsea Rodgers

I went on the 10th August and agree with you, it was the best gig I've ever been to. More than a gig really!!! The atmosphere was amazing and the setlist was awesome. I wish I could have gone to more shows and am sad that the 21 dates are over.

If he ever tours UK again, I will defo go to more than one show.

Guest DustyDeviada

Would have loved to have gone, but you know, cash and all that.

Saw him in 92 and 93 though, before he turned crap.

Let's Go Crazy

I Feel For You

Controversy/Housequake

Shhh

Musicology

Little Red Corvette/I Would Die 4 U/Under The Cherry Moon/Love Is A Losing Game/Satisfied/Diamonds & Pearls/The Beautiful Ones/Sometimes It Snows In April

Cream

U Got The Look

Take Me With U

Guitar

Kiss

Purple Rain

Crazy

Nothing Compares 2 U

If I Was Your Girlfriend

Bennie & The Jets/Sign 'O' The Times/Soft & Wet/When Doves Cry/Alphabet Street/DMSR/Darling Nikki/Raspberry Beret

A Love Bizarre

Chelsea Rodgers

Jeezo Chreesto, that is one hell of a set!

yep. i went on the 3rd aug and it was the single best gig of my life. in a different league.

i fuckin love the little purple genius.

go to skynews.com and watch the clip of the final night. it makes you so happy and very depressed at the same time!

I'd loved to have gone. Saw him twice in the early 90s (Greatest Hits at Meadowbank and Gold Experience at SECC). Brilliant musician and performer...on the Gold Experience he played a whole gig of new stuff and it was awesome.

When he did the Brits he blew off every other artist on the night.

The Observer has "Sign O' The Times" on DVD free with it this Sunday.

(and "Stop Making Sense" by Talking Heads the following Sunday!)

Excellent - both are fantastic. Sign O' the Times should be required viewing for anyone who ever climbs on a stage.

Anyone know if any of the O2 stuff will be released at all?

yep. i went on the 3rd aug and it was the single best gig of my life. in a different league.

i fuckin love the little purple genius.

go to skynews.com and watch the clip of the final night. it makes you so happy and very depressed at the same time!

I was there on the 3rd aswell, was brilliant, the sound quality at the O2 was surprisingly great, roll on the boss!!

I went to the 13th with sharon. It was incredible. Definetly the best show ive ever seen. So much more than just a gig. It was an experience.

Anyone know if any of the O2 stuff will be released at all?

apparently the final two nights were filmed with a dvd in mind. hope it is released because people are definetly need to see this

Yeah, that looks amazing - wish I'd gone.

One of the most ridiculous things I ever read was a quote from Sophie Ellis Bextor after one of the earlier shows saying that the show was disappointing and he didn't play enough hits! I'd seen the set list and it wasn't too different from this. She actually had the audacity to say that when she plays gigs in 10 years time she'll make sure and play ALL her hits. Shortest gig in the world contender then Soph? I should stop paying attention to stuff half wits like her say in the paper.

Long & Winding Road seems a bizarre, and very downbeat choice for the duet with Elton John - Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting would have had much more oomph

Let's Go Crazy

I Feel For You

Controversy/Housequake

Shhh

Musicology

Cream

U Got The Look

Take Me With U

Guitar

Kiss

Purple Rain

Crazy

Nothing Compares 2 U

If I Was Your Girlfriend

A Love Bizarre

Chelsea Rodgers

Are you saying that seeing an unusual combo of two of the greatest performers on earth playing a completely unrehearsed and out of the blue song.... just for the fun of it... wouldn't be the icing on the cake?

I wouldn't say I'm a massive Elton fan but just getting that performance for no reason at all was mindblowing.

I'm hoping that it's on the DVD but I'm not sure if it was filmed. It really was something else.

Set List from the final night:

I Feel For You

Controversy/Housequake

Somewhere Here On Earth

Cream

U Got The Look

Musicology

Chelsea Rogers

Sexy Dancer/Le Freak

A Love Bizarre

Pass The Peas

solo piano set

Diamonds And Pearls

The Beautiful Ones

Little Red Corvette

I Would Die 4 U

Under The Cherry Moon

Sometimes It Snows In April

Purple Rain

Take Me With You

Guitar

Kiss

Let's Go Crazy

encore

Nothing Compares 2 U

solo synth medley

Sign O The Times/When Doves Cry/Darling Nikki/I Wanna Be Your Lover/Erotic City/Alphabet St/DMSR/Delirious/Gett Off (Houstyle)/The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker/Irresistible Bitch/The Most Beautiful Girl In The World/Raspberry Beret

When U Were Mine

Girls And Boys

Guest DustyDeviada

So is this really the end of Prince? Is he really going to stop playing all those hits and continue with all the crappy "funk jams" that have made up most of his output since about 1993?

Are you saying that seeing an unusual combo of two of the greatest performers on earth playing a completely unrehearsed and out of the blue song.... just for the fun of it... wouldn't be the icing on the cake?

Frankly, I don't like Prince, and to call Elton John "one of the greatest performers on earth" seems a bit silly. One of the most popular, maybe. One of the most overated, probably.

Glad you liked it, reckon I'd rather have eaten my own eyeballs.

Frankly, I don't like Prince, and to call Elton John "one of the greatest performers on earth" seems a bit silly. One of the most popular, maybe. One of the most overated, probably.

Glad you liked it, reckon I'd rather have eaten my own eyeballs.

Well, I'll sleep easier tonight now that we've all been put straight on your opinion of Prince.

I'd been kept awake wondering whether you liked him or not.

Away and eat your eyeballs then, and why not have a munch on that "pink piccolo" of yours while you are at it.

Well, I'll sleep easier tonight now that we've all been put straight on your opinion of Prince.

I'd been kept awake wondering whether you liked him or not.

Away and eat your eyeballs then, and why not have a munch on that "pink piccolo" of yours while you are at it.

Music "discussion" - clue's in the title. Chill out and fuck off.

I'd even claim that non-prince fans would have enjoyed themselves. Even if it was just for the go-go girls ;)

NOW you're talking.

Meh, you're probably right anyway. Too late to find out though!

So is this really the end of Prince? Is he really going to stop playing all those hits and continue with all the crappy "funk jams" that have made up most of his output since about 1993?

This coming from a Dire Straits fan? He may go off the rails every now and then but he's always capable of pulling off another masterpiece...whereas Dire Straits....well o_O