aberdeen-music

Emo/metalcore...genres..subjective etc.

Hog

The concept of 'Emo' is now totally redundant because it means totally different things to everybody. To some people it's 'Emotive Hardcore' bands of the early 80's to Mid 90's, to other people it's 'metal' based bands like Bring Me The Horizon and to other people it's Pop-Rock like Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance.

I'm not really bothered though because I think it's all shit.

I'd have to agree. On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone remember when the Foo Fighters and Biffy Clyro weren't the same band? It seems like a million years ago...

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Ironic, considering you start threads along the lines of "Your all cunts"...

No I don't, nor do I start threads along the lines of 'you're all cunts'. If a man came up to me in the street and said anything along the lines of what your first post entailed to me, I would run away because it reads like the ramblings of a drugged horse.

No I don't, nor do I start threads along the lines of 'you're all cunts'. If a man came up to me in the street and said anything along the lines of what your first post entailed to me, I would run away because it reads like the ramblings of a drugged horse.

it makes enough sense if you've read the other thread

Right,

Regarding the conversation on the SOM charity thread.

I get the impression that you if you dislike a genre, you have to name bands within the genre which gives the people who enjoy that certain genre ammunition to shoot the person down.

No, this is not a personal attack. Scott WSBB, your a good guy:up: So are you Maxi, so dont get pissed off.

I hate the generic commercial (metal) by Machinehead, Bullet for my Valentine, Trivium

If I call them Metalcore, I will be laughed at because they are not real metalcore/underground/cool bands.

IMHO, bands like Dimmu, SYL, Decapitated etc destroy them

Discuss.

are bullet for my valentine a real band? i allways thought i had looked at a april 1st copy of kerrang there, i mean they all look like hairdressers- fucking worse than coal chamber.......

hog-go, agreeing with maxwell is just as bad as agreeing with kerrang ( allthough maxi has taste)- make yer own mind up min. use yer lugs.

genres are pointless, everybody knows there are only two types of bands that exist- ones i like, ones i hates.

are bullet for my valentine a real band? i allways thought i had looked at a april 1st copy of kerrang there, i mean they all look like hairdressers- fucking worse than coal chamber.......

Sort of, but I reckon they have stylists...

Although they didn't play their own guitar solos on their album. Not many people know that.

People who get image and music mixed up are retarded.

"ooh, a tight black t-shirt and tight jeans.... must be an 'emo' band".

Metallica must have been an emo band in 1986 then.

och, that was different compared to hairdresser metal. they looked different to motley crue etc. back in the day....................................

cut the shit about "emo" .

Im quite sure everyone is sick of seeing them all the time and sick of whiney shites moaning about them all the time , if they wish to follow that trend then hell it's free a country.

I'd personally split my own arsehole with a rusty fire axethan pay good money for a haircut that is very questionable to say the least but hey that's life.

Maxi - Kerrang got me into Spy Vs Spy. .

great. but surely you are not disagreeing with what I am saying. I understand your point, yes they do mention the odd good thing here and there (moreso many years ago), but in the grand scheme of things those magazines are controlled by advertising.

And Rocksound is quite good for less well known acts

i would beg to differ on that one, 10% of that magazine is any good and not contrived garbage

What really winds me up is that pretty much any American rock band that's been used in the soundtrack to something like The OC, instantly becomes an 'Emo band' in the eyes of the British music press.

Bands like Death Cab For Cutie, Bright Eyes, Postal Service etc have all been called 'emo' bands at one point or another, it's mental.

great. but surely you are not disagreeing with what I am saying. I understand your point, yes they do mention the odd good thing here and there (moreso many years ago), but in the grand scheme of things those magazines are controlled by advertising.

Absolutely. But some of the journos DO know their stuff, and theres usually a few nuggets of truth in there. Rocksound is probably the music mag I would trust most (although thats not saying much) and the interweb is run by muso-fascist cunts who can't get a job in the mainstream media, cos they're muso-fascist cunts.

Do you read any mainstream press, or get all your stuff word-of-mouth? (Genuine question!)

Absolutely. But some of the journos DO know their stuff, and theres usually a few nuggets of truth in there. Rocksound is probably the music mag I would trust most (although thats not saying much) and the interweb is run by muso-fascist cunts who can't get a job in the mainstream media, cos they're muso-fascist cunts.

id agree with that, but then some would say i have elements of muso facist cunt in me, whereas I would say I like music a lot, so much so that I hate a lot of it.

Do you read any mainstream press, or get all your stuff word-of-mouth? (Genuine question!)

I sometimes read some of the reviews online if a band I like has had a write up, i dont buy/read mainstream press though, it doesnt represent value for money to me, id rather put that 3/4 on a gig/beer/a demo etc

i would say that word of mouth is stronger than ever (for better or for worse)

these days its quite easier to come across stuff, there are more people putting on gigs, more people releasing music, i would say more venues/bands, a lot of useful websites that bring a lot of tours and releases to light.

Ah, the classic "let's correct the grammer game". Maybe it's lets instead of lets, maybe it isn't. Plural, noun, adjective, metaphor, this is fun.

Drugged horse:laughing: Weird, everyone else seems able to discuss the points I made.

my fav thing about it is that pretty much all screamo and emo is a DIY genre. it relys on the good of the people involved/distros/vinyl and gig swapping.

agreed. and i'll tip my hat to a lot of other bands outside this genre that have gone down this path even if their music is not to my taste (like Enter Shikari).

Not the shite haircuts/how much they pay to get onto a tour/how much distro their so called label has/how many myspace pals or last fm listens they have.

don't forget pissing on (and alledgedly bottling) some poor girl.

i enjoy bitching about the 'scene' and people who put [ON TOUR] on their myspace when they travel down to dundee. but i'm sure there is someone who enjoys bitching about how i don't understand doom/doom metal and how i can like post rock bands because

"the songs are too long" or something to that effect. it can go on like this forever. what is annoying is that a lot of people won't or just can't be arsed digging anywhere below the surface and expose themselves what they may or may not like. its just (as maxi says) all to do with advertising and people listening to stuff they are spoonfed.

• Upvote 1

people move on. you should too.

it also used to mean homosexual.

now it means rubbish,

go figure.

I didn't even know that. That's sooo random! (which I am led to believe can now be used to describe anything slightly out of the ordinary?)

Has anyone mentioned that music is subjective; it's up to yourself to have the foresight to dig a little deeper past what popular media tell you to buy; "genres" don't really matter if you like the music; Hog drinks wine; someone pissed on someone and threw a bottle at them; Enter Shikari are good or shit but not emo or indie or something; something about the OC; Shakira is hot in that video with Beyonce; I love Bruce Springsteen; magazines are shit? Emo is finished.

the problem is that people are seeing lots of other people followig a fashion movement that is being labled 'emo' and they are lashing out against it without actually knowig what 'emo' (music) is. I may be wrong here but I think the people that dress in a way which is labelled 'emo' are actually influenced by a much wider range of musc which has certain similarities and because of the lack of knowledge a lot of music that isn't really emo is being called emo.

I don't claim to know exactly what emo is but I don't like to see heaps of people that dress in an identical way just to fit in with a movement. Or heaps of bands that write really unoriginal songs that sound exactly like the kind of thing that is popular right now...

I didn't even know that. That's sooo random! (which I am led to believe can now be used to describe anything slightly out of the ordinary?)

Has anyone mentioned that music is subjective; it's up to yourself to have the foresight to dig a little deeper past what popular media tell you to buy;

apparently random is a way of describing someone's personality. if you describe yourself as random this makes you especially cool/different/?'emo'?

i forgot to say it annoys me that people who say they are "really into music" or "into any kinda music (except that screemy shite and deth metal lol)" and don't dig a little deeper.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

it also annoys me when people say they are into all sorts of music, such as rock AND post rock, oh and dont forget some 'hip hop' into the mix (but please make sure that it's some white sounding stuff from the last 5 years, preferably lil jon or something so that one can drop an ironic 'crunk' reference)

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Ah, the classic "let's correct the grammer game". Maybe it's lets instead of lets, maybe it isn't. Plural, noun, adjective, metaphor, this is fun.

Drugged horse:laughing: Weird, everyone else seems able to discuss the points I made.

If you can find a single thread I've started that is ANYTHING along the lines of 'you're all cunts' WHATSOEVER I will be totally gobsmacked. As far as I'm concerned it's a total lie, so prove me otherwise. I'm shocked that people are making any sense from your original post, I must be illiterate because it looks like a series of unfinished sentences to me.