aberdeen-music

Emo/metalcore...genres..subjective etc.

Hog

white sounding hip hop... think you've just gone and created yourself a whole new genre there. or is that not r'nb?

speaking of which the more mature classic rock fans on these forums must be just as annoyed as the people who are up in arms about the mis-use of emo. didn't stuff like early fleetwood mac and led zepplin not get called rhythm and blues? or r'nb?

it seems only to be rock music that has a crazy amount or genres and sub genres. back in the day when i wore 36" jeans on my 30" waist and wore tees that most people could drown in i noticied there was only a couple of names that all essentially meant the same thing. Indie Rap or Underground Hip Hop. This covered everything from darker stuff like

el-p and cannibal ox to rap with a lot of hardcore links (i guess because of the new york hardcore scene) like non phixion. maybe i just didnt bother taking any notice.

If you can find a single thread I've started that is ANYTHING along the lines of 'you're all cunts' WHATSOEVER I will be totally gobsmacked. As far as I'm concerned it's a total lie, so prove me otherwise. I'm shocked that people are making any sense from your original post, I must be illiterate because it looks like a series of unfinished sentences to me.

So you don't start theads now and again that are quite random and use several expletives....ok, Im wrong, sorry.

You may be shocked but really, some people do understand my slighty unconventional, poorly grammorred threads that convey more than one point.

I would also like to point out that I have noticed your/your'e/yooor, you're, ure, youredfjsahfa posts also contain grammatical errors. Lick your elbows.

*sigh*

But the whole thing in that charity thread (and every other thread like this for the last few years) IS musical snobism. It's a bunch of people who hate anything that isn't their preferred style of metal, anything else is shit. So they name a bunch of bands that have nothing in common except being popular and call them all emo.

Have you even listened to the bands that were listed in that thread? None of them sound the same, so how can you guys even say what your own definition of emo is with any accuracy?

i dont think a lot of those bands sound anything alike. to me emo is mostly about the lyrics and not the music.

i dont think a lot of those bands sound anything alike. to me emo is mostly about the lyrics and not the music.

So any band with emotional lyrics (e.g. about love or losing a loved one) are an emo band?

That means that Bryan Adams, Meatloaf, Iced Earth and Testament are emo bands by your standards, as they have all had "emotional" lyrics at some point or another.

If you can find a single thread I've started that is ANYTHING along the lines of 'you're all cunts' WHATSOEVER I will be totally gobsmacked. As far as I'm concerned it's a total lie, so prove me otherwise. I'm shocked that people are making any sense from your original post, I must be illiterate because it looks like a series of unfinished sentences to me.

hur hur.

hog's fit for ye kiddo.

you sound a bit bubbly greety faced there,

have a hankey.

I didn't even know that. That's sooo random! (which I am led to believe can now be used to describe anything slightly out of the ordinary?)

Has anyone mentioned that music is subjective; it's up to yourself to have the foresight to dig a little deeper past what popular media tell you to buy; "genres" don't really matter if you like the music; Hog drinks wine; someone pissed on someone and threw a bottle at them; Enter Shikari are good or shit but not emo or indie or something; something about the OC; Shakira is hot in that video with Beyonce; I love Bruce Springsteen; magazines are shit? Emo is finished.

i've put you on my ignore list because

A) i think you are smarter and more witty than me

an'

B) i think you are either Jewish or a Pagan.

hur hur.

is it five points for a pentagram or six? or is that the star of David. fuck knows.

the paragraph about emo was so emo it made my eyes water.

get a haircut goth!

Guest Tam o' Shantie
' date=' post: 427022"']white sounding hip hop... think you've just gone and created yourself a whole new genre there. or is that not r'nb?

speaking of which the more mature classic rock fans on these forums must be just as annoyed as the people who are up in arms about the mis-use of emo. didn't stuff like early fleetwood mac and led zepplin not get called rhythm and blues? or r'nb?

it seems only to be rock music that has a crazy amount or genres and sub genres. back in the day when i wore 36" jeans on my 30" waist and wore tees that most people could drown in i noticied there was only a couple of names that all essentially meant the same thing. Indie Rap or Underground Hip Hop. This covered everything from darker stuff like

el-p and cannibal ox to rap with a lot of hardcore links (i guess because of the new york hardcore scene) like non phixion. maybe i just didnt bother taking any notice.

there are a lot of genres in this style of music also, but as usual it's mostly dubious. on the most part hip hop is categorised more in its production, as this is where the big differences in sound lie in the music itself (the difference in the sound of a classic RZA beat vs a neptunes rap beat for example are glaringly obvious). other than that, you'd have to start genre-fying each individual MC's style, which could never work. instead people actually have to be descriptive, which is good i suppose. and yeah rhytm and blues dates back to the 40s, i'd imagine some of those old timers cant related to nelly's mad style

death metal is what?

I dont really care if people know what emo is or not, but on a related subject it pisses me off no end that death metal is so entirely misunderstood and people always seem to think that slipknot etc ARE death metal when thats so far from the truth its not even funny.:swearing:

Death metal is basically a different format of music which has countless variations/subgenres and i wish people who liked metal could get their poor little ears passed the screaming /growling to hear the fucking immense music being made by some of the most underappreciated bands worldwide. Its basically impossible to discover good death bands without resorting to the internet/word of mouth cuz the music scene in britain barely even recognises it as a viable musical genre. Does nobody else think its time for a revolution? Dying Fetus on TOTP n e 1? Cannibal Corpse at T in the Park? Severe Torture at the AECC? ?(

also what someone said earlier about how they like the underground emo bands who just keep goin regardless of whether their a 'commercial' success, death metal bands pretty much encapsulate the 'making music for musics sake ' philosophy seeing as theres only an underground following of the music no matter where you go and theres never gonna be big money in it, which in turn means that people who like it dont just LIKE it cuz its cool and their friends like it,they LOVE it because it represents something pure in a corrupt industry of mass commercialized bullshit.

I dont really care if people know what emo is or not, but on a related subject it pisses me off no end that death metal is so entirely misunderstood and people always seem to think that slipknot etc ARE death metal when thats so far from the truth its not even funny.:swearing:

Death metal is basically a different format of music which has countless variations/subgenres and i wish people who liked metal could get their poor little ears passed the screaming /growling to hear the fucking immense music being made by some of the most underappreciated bands worldwide. Its basically impossible to discover good death bands without resorting to the internet/word of mouth cuz the music scene in britain barely even recognises it as a viable musical genre. Does nobody else think its time for a revolution? Dying Fetus on TOTP n e 1? Cannibal Corpse at T in the Park? Severe Torture at the AECC? ?(

also what someone said earlier about how they like the underground emo bands who just keep goin regardless of whether their a 'commercial' success, death metal bands pretty much encapsulate the 'making music for musics sake ' philosophy seeing as theres only an underground following of the music no matter where you go and theres never gonna be big money in it, which in turn means that people who like it dont just LIKE it cuz its cool and their friends like it,they LOVE it because it represents something pure in a corrupt industry of mass commercialized bullshit.

So many absurd points, I don't know where to start....

I don't disagree, I just wanna say there are a lot of underground bands out there that are making honest music other than just Death Metal...

I must be old as I haven't a clue about musical categorisation these days, millions of genres sub types for rock/metal/hiphop/pop/indie etc. I keep coming across things which I haven't a clue about, what the hell is mathcore????

Always been very much in the dark about emo but this thread has emtpied a little more knowledge into my skull shaped pudding bowl. Anyway, who thinks the Led Zep tickets are stupidly expensive.

I like what I like though I have been told on a few occasions I am deeply uncool in my tastes both online and in person (mostly from family). I am glad there is a lot of "I like what I like" people still around. Today from my ipod on shuffle I have been presented by the delights of Slayer, InMe, Fightstar, HIM, Nightwish, Juliette & The Licks, Suicidal Tendencies, Morbid Angel, Dark Angel, Agent Steel, Heathen, Saxon, Raven, Kylie Minogue, Trivium, Skindred, Satyricon, Weapons, Edguy & Crucified Barbara from what I remember. Fancy a blast of ZZTop and Meatloaf next with a little Quo on the back.

Also as a side note, I have no clue about what my teenage neice and nephew are on about, everything seems to be "sick" and "random" for some reason.

I don't disagree, I just wanna say there are a lot of underground bands out there that are making honest music other than just Death Metal...

Indeed, underground bands usually have the most die hard fans...travelling to far flung countries to watch a gig in some run down little bar. the band is spread by word of mouth, not by marketing or radio play. some bands by shock appeal...some bands would not be as famous without having thier stuff banned and without politicians saying they are hindering human decency. I love death metal for the fact that it's not on the tv or radio, if you love a type of music you can easily find it yourself.

Like medichi, I disagree with a lot of that. Especially the "music scene in britain barely even recognises it as a viable musical genre" bit. Utter lies. Terrorizor magazine is sold in WHSmith, and Metal Hammer has an extreme metal section every issue. Both popular magzines that are widely available.

You want people to recognise and appreciate death metal? As soon as that happens it becomes popular. As soon as something becomes popular, it becomes mass produced, watered-down lowest common denominator shit. Look what happened to metalcore. A Few years ago it was a breath of fresh air in the metal genre. Now metalcore is an oversaturatd market and the new nu-metal/emo/whatever other musical trend to bash.

Furthermore, every metalcore band exsists due to Carcass and At The Gates. So from a certain point of view, the most popular and commercial form of metal right now, is directly linked to a couple of classic death metal bands.

And I don't like death metal because it "represents something pure in a corrupt industry of mass commercialized bullshit".

Are bands like Cannibal Corpse and Dying Fetus even underground?

Cannibal Corpse have sold over a million records so the jury's out on that one.... Dying Fetus are undrground in as much as they are relatively credible etc, but they are on Relapse and one of the biggest names in grind so it's all down to your perception on what 'underground' is.