aberdeen-music

Emo/metalcore...genres..subjective etc.

Hog

Right,

Regarding the conversation on the SOM charity thread.

I get the impression that you if you dislike a genre, you have to name bands within the genre which gives the people who enjoy that certain genre ammunition to shoot the person down.

No, this is not a personal attack. Scott WSBB, your a good guy:up: So are you Maxi, so dont get pissed off.

I hate the generic commercial (metal) by Machinehead, Bullet for my Valentine, Trivium

If I call them Metalcore, I will be laughed at because they are not real metalcore/underground/cool bands.

IMHO, bands like Dimmu, SYL, Decapitated etc destroy them

Discuss.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

the clue is in the title, the first post consists of nothing but 4 sentences that make no sense, it's just a rambling collection of words with little relation to each other

Right,

Regarding the conversation on the SOM charity thread.

I get the impression that you if you dislike a genre, you have to name bands within the genre which gives the people who enjoy that certain genre ammunition to shoot the person down.

No, this is not a personal attack. Scott WSBB, your a good guy:up: So are you Maxi, so dont get pissed off.

I hate the generic commercial (metal) by Machinehead, Bullet for my Valentine, Trivium

If I call them Metalcore, I will be laughed at because they are not real metalcore/underground/cool bands.

Ok,

First paragraph was relating to a thread regarding what is/isn't emo

Second paragraph was

IMHO, bands like Dimmu, SYL, Decapitated etc destroy them

Discuss.

Ok,

First paragraph was relating to a thread regarding what is/isn't emo

Second paragraph was talking about how genres. i.e. how the emo genre seems to be quite wide ranging.

Third paragraph. I do not wish to offend people regarding paragraph 1 and 2.

Paragraph 4. I used another genre as an example regarding the thread subject i.e genres are subjective.

If you would like me to provide a Braille copy of this post, I will happily provide one.

Btw, no need to knock my spelling. I know I can limp along. I will endevour with a stiff upper lip

• Upvote 1

It's all sub-genre at the end of the day. There is really no need to sub categorize. I like all sorts of music from all sorts of genre, some extreme and some really NOT. I like what i like. I doubt any would be classed as Emo like. But, if it was i'm hardly gonna stop listening to them. Unless they changed/evolved into something i no longer enjoyed.

These dumb ass threads always crop up and they only provoke arguments. Do we really need another?

Does it keep you up at night worrying if you like an EMO band or not????

There IS a serious lack of Popcorn in this thread though :popcorn:

It seems to me anyway that people are slagging stuff they don't understand.

A lot of people i've spoken to say they can't stand emo bands, "they suck, they look gay" etc.

Yet they don't actually know what "EMO" is. i don't know what emo is...i've been told that if you have a side parted fringe and tight trousers then your emo...what if you just like side partings and tight jeans? Hmm, seems my uncle is emo...well i never!

Everytime i speak to someone about death metal at work or college slipknot seems to be the first band on thier lips, and they say..."It's just noise, it's shite, so death metals shite...end of discussion". Same happens with Emo, if you ain't got something good to say about it, don't bother...constructive critisism(Is that spelt right? No? Ok) is more interesting to listen to.

you are all a bunch of mongols

there is plenty on the net to tell you what real emo is

problem is, you would never accept it, because knuckleheads need someone to shoot at, and if it aint emo then they have fuck all

your problem is with gash metal bands that feature heavily in kerrang and rocksound, who dress like a bunch of fannys and play watered down generometal for the kidz.

not with real emo/screamo like spy versus spy, ampere, cease upon the capitol, indian summer, sinaloa, native nod, and the rest of the brady bunch.

my fav thing about it is that pretty much all screamo and emo is a DIY genre. it relys on the good of the people involved/distros/vinyl and gig swapping. Not the shite haircuts/how much they pay to get onto a tour/how much distro their so called label has/how many myspace pals or last fm listens they have.

you are all a bunch of mongols

there is plenty on the net to tell you what real emo is

problem is, you would never accept it, because knuckleheads need someone to shoot at, and if it aint emo then they have fuck all

your problem is with gash metal bands that feature heavily in kerrang and rocksound, who dress like a bunch of fannys and play watered down generometal for the kidz.

not with real emo/screamo like spy versus spy, ampere, cease upon the capitol, indian summer, sinaloa, native nod, and the rest of the brady bunch.

my fav thing about it is that pretty much all screamo and emo is a DIY genre. it relys on the good of the people involved/distros/vinyl and gig swapping. Not the shite haircuts/how much they pay to get onto a tour/how much distro their so called label has/how many myspace pals or last fm listens they have.

That basically answered my rambling questions.

I will check out some of those bands i.e. Spy vs spy etc and see what the difference is between that and the kerrangesque, shit, crapcore bands.

I simply dislike music snobism (no, Im not having a go regarding anyone)

*sigh*

But the whole thing in that charity thread (and every other thread like this for the last few years) IS musical snobism. It's a bunch of people who hate anything that isn't their preferred style of metal, anything else is shit. So they name a bunch of bands that have nothing in common except being popular and call them all emo.

Have you even listened to the bands that were listed in that thread? None of them sound the same, so how can you guys even say what your own definition of emo is with any accuracy?

*sigh*

But the whole thing in that charity thread (and every other thread like this for the last few years) IS musical snobism. It's a bunch of people who hate anything that isn't their preferred style of metal, anything else is shit. So they name a bunch of bands that have nothing in common except being popular and call them all emo.

Have you even listened to the bands that were listed in that thread? None of them sound the same, so how can you guys even say what your own definition of emo is with any accuracy?

Where did I say that My Chemical Romance and Killswitch Engage sound the same?

I even have a MCC cd! and a Him cd.

I can't say what emo is, that is what Im asking. Maxi answered my question and provided some band names that I will check out.

The concept of 'Emo' is now totally redundant because it means totally different things to everybody. To some people it's 'Emotive Hardcore' bands of the early 80's to Mid 90's, to other people it's 'metal' based bands like Bring Me The Horizon and to other people it's Pop-Rock like Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance.

I'm not really bothered though because I think it's all shit.

• Upvote 1