aberdeen-music

P-Funk Band require horny horns and...

krisfoof1

Hi,

Kris Elliott here. Looking for horn players - Sax, Trombone and Trumpet - and looking to take vocalists on trial. Also, front man, kinda along the lines of George Clinton. If u know funk, you'll know Clinton!!!

I am the drummer in the band, Ewan Macintosh on Bass (Mega funky) and Callum Peterkin on the keys, also awesome along with his girlfriend Lisa on vocals!!! There is loads of potential here, very good musicians like I say so get in touch if you are REALLY into funk. It'll be fun, get in touch!!!

Cheers

Kris Elliott:up:

cheers man, is there a website for that? Is your name Colin by the way? You dont know me but I've heard a lot about you, seen u playin for soul funkin hot at the forum and at the tunnels wi a french rapper dude, is that right? Don't worry, im not sum stalker, i know a few folk that know you and word of mouth n all that. I was talking to a Michael Archibald the other day, hes gona be playin guitar for the wedding/party/function band im in and he says he knows you too!!! But im also involved with this funk band and need horn players. Would u be up 4 a jam or u too busy with all the bans ur in? Brass could also be useful for wedding band! What about a keys player?

Could you recommend any horn/keys players, even yourself? Cheers, Kris Elliott

Yeah, it is Colin. Had a lot of things on the go lately, glad you managed to catch a few!!

OK, lets deal with the Funk band in this thread, keep the two bands separate from one another. If you're wanting people to join or try out for your band you need to keep it really clear and quite specific, what influences does the band have? What sort of funk tunes are you going to be tackling and will they purely be covers yada yada yada?

It's easy to say I want a brass section in my band but what exactly are you looking for? Combinations of instruments can achieve quite different results. If you gain a lot of interest, try and keep the section well balanced, there is nothing worse than playing in a section with 4 saxes and a trumpet, this has happened in a band I played in before and it doesn't work! If you can, start with trumpet and tenor sax, then maintain balance and tonal contrast when adding to this. For example, if you were to add a trombone, you might add an alto sax at the same time (quite a nice brass section at this point).

Do you need a keyboard player for the funk band too? I'm not sure if I know anyone; keyboard players with the ability to play blues/funk/jazz, who are not already spoken for, are hard to come by. If you get in touch with the Uni Music depart about brass then it might be worth inquiring about piano players too. If you find someone who can play but has no access or money to buy equipment it is really hard to find anywhere to hire what you need, and if you do it is very expensive.

Music at the University of Aberdeen

I'm pretty bad for taking on too many projects. What ends up happening is that everything gets neglected and people get pissed off as a result - not fun being that person. Unfortunately I have been guilty of indulging the greedy streak in my personality! If it is purely a jam just to help get things off the ground then I'm happy to come along. I really can't commit to another full time band with regular practices right now. I do know some brass players and can find out about others. I'll ask around for you but you need to give me a bit more detail about the music and type of gigs/events you want to be playing.

Probably not much real useful advice in there but certainly took my mind off work for a few moments!

Colin

Hey Colin. yeah, i was with Kris and Callum (keys/organ) and we seen you play! Regards the funkBand - a tenor sax and trumpet sound good! we sound like P-Funk, mean grooves soulFunk! working on band new ideas and just wanting to gig out! i will get a poster organised and get it a place on the Aberdeen Music wall.

if you would try out with us, that would be wild - horn harmoney grooves are somethin good! -

Ewan

Hey, Colin. Cheers for getin back again!!!

Yeh, i see wot ur sayin about being specific. I think your suggestions sound good for the brass players for the funk band. Ewan's gona make an ad for the uni but if u cld recommend any players, please do so.

And for the wedding band, yes this is where we are looking for keys. again, if any, holler!!!!

It would be cool if you could ome along to just to one of our practices, for a wee jam but also to give you a better idea of the music and just to have a general chat with yourself coz u seem like a good contact to have!!!

Influences on the funk include:

Parliament, Funkadelic, Bootsy Collins, Sweatband, Quasar, James Brown - with his horns of course, u know, Fred Wesley, Maceo Parker etc.

I'm open to all music and I mean anything. Love Jamiroquai aswell along with loads of other funk. Like I say, anything goes - Rock, Blues, Soul, Latin, Metal, Pop, Alternative - ANYTHING!!!!!!!!! But as this is a funk band, well better keep it funky!! That's y i got the wedding band too - I love playing a variety of music.

Anyway, I''ll shuh up! Gees a shout bk if and wen u can.

Cheers

Kris