aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bob

Support Trump

Guest Tam o' Shantie

what are they actually going to do to take care of the local ecology? and er, my folks' house

Another vast waste of land for the pseudo elite!

I'm simply not a fan of golf... Best fun I have had though was as a kid cycling around the Murkar(sp) golf course launching ourselves over the bunkers and greens BMX stylee. This was a long time before BMX was a thing. The cops were called and visited my parents. I think they saw the innocence of our antics - Kids having fun on a giant grassy play park!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

yes dave, and unless it's going to be 19 holes of bunker they are going to have to upset the dune system in some way, and I am not a geographer or a geologist but Scottish National Heritage identifies the dunes at menie as a site of special scientific interest and has written to aberdeenshire council to oppose the plans. my folks will probably just have their house bought out as the official plan is for Trump to build extra accomodation in our garden, but maybe they don't want to move away...

It's a golf course, not a toxic waste dump. The local flora and fauna will be fine, and I'm sure your folks will be generously compensated for their inconvenience.

trump has already stated that he intends to pay no more than the houses are worth.

Jonathon Meades on golf

Trump should be told to fuck off and leave our natural landscape alone, remains to be seen wether the gimps in charge of the council here have the wherewithall to do so.

Big pile of sand vs. hundreds of jobs and millions of pounds...hmmm, tricky.

Yeah and while they're at it they can bring over some pig-fucking-hick security guards equipped with tazers too.

I happen to like "big piles of sand", the wildlife associated with it and of course the pleasure of roaming freely through such areas, theres more to life than a few jobs for students at the 19th hole so some fucking yank can line his pockets.

Scotland is all about big piles of sand and other wild landscapes, it is completely misguided to think that a fantasy golf course is anything like appropriate for the area.

I'm not touching that one, but you may want to reconsider your use of racial epithets in future.

Yeah, golf courses are completely alien to the east coast of Scotland. It's not as if the game was invented there or anything, is it...?

Are you calling me a racist? Bear in mind that "american" is not a race, and before you ask no, donald trump is not a native american indian.

Carnoustie and St. Andrews already have a great reputation and host big competitions, it is absurd to suggest that there is any kind of need for this development. As far as bringing money into the area, do you really believe that the oil capital of europe needs some poxy golf course to provide extra jobs and money?

Have you any idea how long the waiting list is for membership of those courses? To even play a single game at the top courses in Scotland you have to book ahead months in advance.

No you don't. Half the tee times on the old course are reserved for a daily ballot system. You can put your name down the day before and get a tee time the next day.

St Andrews students also get sweet deals on the links trust courses I believe.

I just checked the Carnoustie site and there's times available for the end of next week on the championship course.

Like I said, I'm not touching that one. It's your conscience. If the investor had come from a different country, say Pakistan, would you have described them in an equally derogatory way?

Have you any idea how long the waiting list is for membership of those courses? To even play a single game at the top courses in Scotland you have to book ahead months in advance. Trump is simply meeting demand in a growing market.

Yank, being a contraction of "yankee", defined in the AMERICAN dictionary as :

Yankee /ˈyŋki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[yang-kee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

noun

1. a native or inhabitant of the United States.

2. a native or inhabitant of New England.

3. a native or inhabitant of a northern U.S. state, esp. of one of the northeastern states that sided with the Union in the American Civil War.

4. a federal or northern soldier in the American Civil War.

5. a word used in communications to represent the letter Y.

6. Military. the NATO name for a class of Soviet ballistic missile submarine, nuclear powered, with up to 16 missile launchers.

adjective

7. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a Yankee or Yankees: Yankee ingenuity.

Honestly Dave, if you want to equate "yank" with "paki", as you are trying to insuate, how do you explain the New York Yankee's baseball team?

Trump is not "simply meeting demand", he's just decided he fancies building a golfcourse in area he knows fuck all about purely because he has the money to do it.

And the waiting list for membership of those courses is massive, which is my point.

Well no, it was one of your points. The other was "To even play a single game at the top courses in Scotland you have to book ahead months in advance." and you don't. You can get one the next day or in a couple of weeks.

I'm not against golf courses, but the Trump one is going to be too destructive and I don't see a lot of the money being spent outside of the resort.

The Nicklaus course and development at Ury in Stonehaven sounds good though. Far more in tune with the surrounding area and it's going to regenerate a great local building.

Why use a term such as "fucking yank" if you weren't trying to make a point about his country of origin and their people?

He's a businessman. If he didn't think there was money in it, and a demand for it, he wouldn't be doing it. Simple.

Not being a native scot (If I recall correctly) you obviously find it hard to identify with the feelings of people who have actually lived here all their lives and for whom the natural landscape means a bit more than a business opportunity.

Of course he's doing it because he sees a business opportunity though, just like the Blackwater security firm amongst other american companies, see post-war Iraq as a business opportunity.

I was born in Scotland, my parents are Scottish, I've lived in Scotland all my life. Being Scottish, I find golf courses beautiful, and part of our national heritage. I also think that we should make the most of our limited resources to provide jobs for the inhabitants of this country and to ensure the economy keeps ticking over nicely. I'm pretty sure my countryman Adam Smith would approve.

Why do you have the political views of a tobacco chewing right-wing american religious fundamentalist then? Seriously. Are you just incredibly gullible?

Being Scottish, I find golf courses beautiful, and part of our national heritage.

But it's being built by an American! It'll be about as related to Scottish heritage as those beach towels that look like kilts.

Watch the documentary I linked to earlier,

, meades makes a convincing case against the golf course being anything to do with the scottish landscape.

As far as bringing money into the area, do you really believe that the oil capital of europe needs some poxy golf course to provide extra jobs and money?

It will sooner or later (although I can think of better things than a golf course to provide new jobs). The oil in the North Sea is slowly running out after all and Aberdeen won't be the Oil Capital of Europe for that much longer.

There's no getting away from the fact that I am a capitalist and proud of it, though. It's obviously going to have some influence on any positions I take.

You consistently take the bread-and-butter standpoint of the right-wing american political press in the majority of your posts which have anything to do with politics, this is evident from your often verbatim parroting of the poisonous shit printed by these evil, murderous american bastards. You are an apologist for these people, which is inexcusable.

Why don't you go for a walk in the countryside and think hard about how much nicer it is than a stroll through a fucking ASDA.

Anyway, back to the big pile of sand. Please support Donald Trump's project to make vast wads of cash and aid the international Zionist conspiracy, the Freemasons, the Catholic church, Rupert Murdoch, Halliburton and stun gun manufacturers everywhere bring freedom to this great planet of ours. Vote Thompson '08, BTW.

Please don't attempt to ridicule me by suggesting that I'm some kind of conspiracy theorist, simply because I don't believe that vaste swathes of our natural landscape should be sold off to american businessmen for their own profiteering ventures, under the misguided delusion that it will "be good for the local economy".

You may be proud of yourself for supposedly being a capitalist, but really you aren't a capitalist. You don't have any capital, you are not a businessman. You are simply a consumerist, who is happy to blithely defend the underlying politics and policies behind capitalism because you yearn for the day that you yourself can shit on everyone else in order to make some money, and in the meanwhile you're happy to kowtow to the arseholes with the money NOW while you enjoy the ephemeral benefits their political ascendancy affords you.

• Upvote 1