aberdeen-music

how do w'all fancy a tribute act or four?

The Ghost Of Fudge

I saw Beholder, who are reasonably well known popular rock/metal covers band from England. They did a few Pantera covers. I didn't like them though becuase I thought their choice of songs were boring i.e what you can hear at any rock bar/club every week but they are quite possibly ideal from that point of view also.

They were very good at what they did though and I seemed to be the only one not enjoying them very much.

MySpace.com - Beholder - UK - Rock / Metal - www.myspace.com/beholderuk

These guys are also recommended by someone else.

Blitz :: Yorkshire's No.1 Classic Rock Band

Apparently, they ran outside at a gig and half way down the street, while still playing.

Would be a bit expensive (they are from Netherlands) I think but these are the most interesting covers band i've came across (to me they are most interesting anyhow) MySpace.com - STORMRIDER - Maasbracht, NL - Metal - www.myspace.com/stormridernl

They have a set list on their main website. Stormrider

My first two suggestions might be achievable although I still prefer original material.

Since i am playing the night Morrings this Saturday with me tribute band Maiden Scotland, I hope you dont mind me giving it my 2 cents.

Punters in general love coming to see a tribute band as its a good night, so its good for punters and venues, who will reap the rewards through healthy bar sales. Somewhere like the Moorings could put on an act every so often or so and still maintain its reputation for original music..the two things are not mutually exclusive as local bands get to support tributes and play to an audience into similiar music who might previously not have bothered to go and see them.

The tribute scene falls down though when some things happen

1. You get a venue who starts bringing in any crap tribute band every week and people get bored of it.

2. Some venues dont know how to promote it

3. Too many crap bands on the scene, especially in england, taking ridiculous fees when they arent actually that good.

You do get the occasional ones who are good at what they do and are not innit just to try and earn some money ;-)

Cheers and hope to see some of you Saturday!!

Mark

Since i am playing the night Morrings this Saturday with me tribute band Maiden Scotland, I hope you dont mind me giving it my 2 cents.

Punters in general love coming to see a tribute band as its a good night, so its good for punters and venues, who will reap the rewards through healthy bar sales. Somewhere like the Moorings could put on an act every so often or so and still maintain its reputation for original music..the two things are not mutually exclusive as local bands get to support tributes and play to an audience into similiar music who might previously not have bothered to go and see them.

The tribute scene falls down though when some things happen

1. You get a venue who starts bringing in any crap tribute band every week and people get bored of it.

2. Some venues dont know how to promote it

3. Too many crap bands on the scene, especially in england, taking ridiculous fees when they arent actually that good.

You do get the occasional ones who are good at what they do and are not innit just to try and earn some money ;-)

Cheers and hope to see some of you Saturday!!

Mark

GOOD POST! And valid points.

• 2 weeks later...