aberdeen-music

New Band Practice Studios Open

Neilatmusa

Familiarising yourself with sounds and acoustics of a room is something you'll have to do when you play a gig or go on tour though, so it's good practice I think. No venue is like any other venue, and if you're using someone elses drum shells or guitar/bass cab (or even their amp), you have to fiddle around and check that everything is sounding right.

I also like using different amps everytime. Experimenting with different amps and settings broadens my scope of what I want my guitar to sound like rather than just sticking to what I know. However, if I drove, I'd take my own amp, but I hate taking my DSL head on the bus, so I just use what is there, which is fine - because all the amps are pretty awesome. Even the solid state ones.

yes.

Has anybody used that Gibson amp... a goldtone i think? I've heard they sound mint.

I used it a couple of weeks ago.

I wasn't sure what to think when I saw it. it only has a volume knob and a tone knob, a push/pull for gain and a flick switch for brightness.

It sounds amazing though. Seriously loud for a 2x12. I'm pretty sure it's a low wattage too, so it crunches at acceptable volumes.

Seriously good!

Ive only ever practiced at Captain Toms and The Foyer...

Foyer Opinion (Not been in there since 2006)

--------------------

I quite like the Foyer because its cheap for what you get. The only issue we ever had was that the drum kit was a bit poor (which is to be expected)

Captain Toms

--------------------

The only issue with Toms is the price. As we practice there almost everyweek. I take down settings of all the Amps and PA System so that we have a good sound everyweek (pain in the ass at first) when you practice there as much as we do you tend to learn all the different amps in each room. We have a good understanding of the settings and shiz on the amps and PA.

Plus when you record there you get a decent amount of support from Paul for editing and suggestions and things like that.

Cant bad mouth the service at all.

Just try and be the first band in lol the room usually has this cloud of sweat and heat when you walk in after someone else haha :p

The Roland amp at MV last night started picking up sounds from the jams going on next door. I was getting distant blasts of funk rock through the amp, which was even more audible when my OD pedal was switched on. Ghastly!

It's a shame it wasn't picking up something more mysterious, like overseas radio transmissions or something. That'd be righteous.

Toms is a good place to go and practise, only reason its so expensive is because noone is there to compete!

i went to musical vision and walked out i was shocked at how bad some one could run a place!

we went in and the guy had double booked our room! so we went to this other one and it had one amp in it and a pa tht was broke. i asked the dude once i found him! to have an amp in the room and he brough through something that can only be explained as a time travel experiment gone wrong! worst amp i ever have seen it didnt have any gain knob! so i had to go in to a metal band practise on a clean tone!

Toms has never given my band a bad practise, no complaints from it, and i agree with who ever said room 4 is the best, it really is! must be that carpet :-)

Toms rules

MV sucks

never tried foyer not sure if it would be worth time to check it.

Toms is a good place to go and practise, only reason its so expensive is because noone is there to compete!

i went to musical vision and walked out i was shocked at how bad some one could run a place!

we went in and the guy had double booked our room! so we went to this other one and it had one amp in it and a pa tht was broke. i asked the dude once i found him! to have an amp in the room and he brough through something that can only be explained as a time travel experiment gone wrong! worst amp i ever have seen it didnt have any gain knob! so i had to go in to a metal band practise on a clean tone!

Toms has never given my band a bad practise, no complaints from it, and i agree with who ever said room 4 is the best, it really is! must be that carpet :-)

Toms rules

MV sucks

never tried foyer not sure if it would be worth time to check it.

You're complaing about vintage single channel valve amps? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Bring a fucking distortion pedal you clueless tit.

MV's amps

Ok here is a list of all the guitar amps in common usage at Musical Vision...I reckon its a fair collection of quality guitar amplification..but don't take my word for it, do your own research.

Harry Joyce custom 100

1972 Park Superlead (the time travel expermient gone wrong)

Carlsbro 50 top 70's valve head

Roland JC-120 combo x 2

Roland JC- 45 combo

Sound City L120 70's valve heads x 2

marshall SLX 100 valve head

marshall jcm900 50w valve combo

Sessionette 75 combo

Gibson Goldtone GA30 valve combo

Roost Session Master valve combo

Fender Twin Reverb valve combo

Hiwatt SA212

Peavety Bandit (ok I loathe this one but it's Scottys and he wont let me burn it.)

I would have no hesitation gigging any of these amps apart from the peavey. But some people like it and ask to use it..(yes even it!)

We put out the best amps that are working properly at the time while we fix the others. They have a pretty hard life.

Not all of these amps have a distortion channel...just like not all the customers play heavy metal. If you are gonna play heavy music take a pedal to be on the safe side. You can actually borrow one free of charge if you ask.

As for PA's I do check them every day, although speakers can sometimes get blown during someone's practice...in which case I fix 'em as soon as I find out or set up a spare until I can get them repaired.

As for double bookings they don't happen often..but my apologies when they do. I'm only a puny human. At very least I offer a substantial discount if you have to wait or a free practice on another day if I can't accomodate you.

But hell maybe I'm doing something wrong..maybe I should sell off that old antiquated valve gear and buy 14 identical Marshall Valvestate heads with a distortion channel,...that would keep everyone happy surely?

Guest calumunderkills

We recorded our first EP at Foyer. And the quality is quite good - have a listen at MySpace.com - The Underkills - UK - Rock / Alternative / Indie - www.myspace.com/theunderkills

Tell Me Something and whichever is currently on myspace All Cracked Up or Here Is My Story (can't remember which one is on, and I can't get on myspace at work!) were both recorded at Foyer. I would say about Foyer that it is pretty good for what you pay for. It was really cheap, and the quality is definitely good enough for a demo CD.

We recorded our second set of recordings at Captain Tom's which cost significantly more, but Paul who did the recording and mixing did a far better job, and the sound quality is far superior. But this is reflected in the cost.

As for practising, we've only ever practised at Tom's. I don't like Room 2 at all, but the other rooms are all pretty good. You can park outside the door, or just on the street, with no problems at all and the staff are all helpful and up for a bit of banter.

I'd say if you're just starting out the Foyer sounds like a good option because of the price. And to record a demo CD, it's probably pretty good as well, but in terms of getting a good quality CD that you would want to release, I'd say you would need to upgrade to Tom's (or somewhere else I don't know about...)

As for the other places, I have no experience of them so can't comment! :up:

I love that Gibson Goldtone. I wanted to take it home with me and wrap it in a blanket, to keep it safe from the cold harsh world.

What a beautiful piece of kit.

How much do they retail for? I'll never be able to afford one, but I would like to pretend I could one day.

Think their about 600/700 new I got that one 2nd hand for 350. Its very loud for a 30 watter. A lot of people get confused by it cos the controls are on bottom at the back...which is a bit of a pain considering it gets used in a practice room. I initially found it a bit trebley but if ya back off the tone all the way to about 2 or 3 it starts to behave nicely. Cosmetically it still reminds me of an air con vent at an indian restaurant though...

Yeah, I switched the brightness off when I used it, and had the tone somewhere in the middle and used an OD pedal, so I could enjoy the sparkling cleans it has to offer too. It was perfect for what I needed.

I can't believe it's only 30 watts. It was so loud and I barely even had it 1/3 of the way round, volume-wise. It could kill a man, or destroy a village.

Great amp, (Hi Andy),

I sold this amp to MV, only because I had a surplus of amps at the time. When I rehearse there, it's my first amp of choice, or the Fender Twin II.

The toppiness on the Gibson can be tamed by changing the speakers, (Which I experimented with many times). The Celestion V30's in there seem to be used as a generally efficient, cost effective OEM speaker by many amp builders, but, far better results can be had, if you can be bothered spending time swapping speakers.

I currently have a 15watt 1 X 12 version for sale, If anyone is Interested?

Once again, only because it's surplus to requirments.

I'm trying out the new one at the Beach tomorrow, so I'll give a report on Friday.... It's dear at 14 an hour, so hopefuly it'll be good enough to justify this price.

The only time I've been there we were evacuated for a fire alarm and spent an hour chillin' in the car park with a slightly surreal assortment of karate-enthusiasts, skateboarders and rock climbers. We never even made it to the practice rooms, so I've no idea what it's like.

On the bright side, a nice wee chap let me roll around on his skateboard for a bit. Which was fun.