aberdeen-music

Death Proof

Lemonade

Anyone else seen, and what did you think of it?

I am a massive Tarantino fanboy and was excited as hell about seeing this movie. I enjoyed but it was weird as fuck. From what I understand of it, this was Tarantino's nod to all the badly shot B-movies of the 70s, and he wheeled out an array of weird filming techniques, jumpy reels, grainy film and intentional continuation errors to reflect that- as well as referencing a lot of them. It was instantly recognisable as QT and I loved that.

My only problem with it was the lack of character depth or development, you got no backstory about any of the characters and no insight into Stuntman Mike, or why he was doing what he was doing. I guess QT did this to again in reference the B-movies which often had plots with gaping holes and very little substance, but then I think those films were shit so why try and make one the same? I just felt strangely empty at the end.

Still, good film but if people don't 'get' what Tarantino was trying to do, they're gonna hate it I feel. :popcorn:

It is actually meant to be two movies presented as a double feature called 'Grindhouse'. In typical fashion, they are being released separately here.

They are being released separately here because when it opened in the states as a double featue, they only made $5 million in the first weekend. So because of that the Wienstiens wanted them released separatly, much to the disgust of Tarantiono and Rodriguez!!

Planet Terror by Rodriguez looks better in my mind and i've read the screenplay, so im really looking forward to it!!

Ill see Death Proof when i get home from Offshore. I reckon ill like em as im a sucker for exploitation movies of the 70's and 80's!! :up:

Guest DustyDeviada

Fair enough I say, Death Proof was long enough on it's own, I'd have struggled to sit through another film afterwards.

Anyone know why the grainly look disappeared in the second half?

Enjoyed it though, even though it was mostly women sitting around talking.

Fair enough I say, Death Proof was long enough on it's own, I'd have struggled to sit through another film afterwards.

The Grindhouse versions of Death proof and Planet terror are both cut down for being presented seperately. The directors weren't chuffed, as the UK versions of the films aren't entirely the way they planned.

I heard a review of this last night, they were asking wether tarantino had deliberately made a bad film on purpose, or if it was just a bad film. Unsurprisingly the latter opinion won out.

I've never liked the man or his films, which just reek of infantile schoolboy fantasies and frustrations, the guy obviously has a tiny penis.

I liked it, don't get me wrong, but again it raises the "has he made a bad film on purpose" question that Stripey mentioned - I think it's fairly obvious he's made an homage to some of his favourite movies from that genre, which were usually quite bad, however perhaps it's an emperor's new clothes syndrome - he purposely makes a bad movie and fanboys like me still wank over it.

Guest bluesxman
The Grindhouse versions of Death proof and Planet terror are both cut down for being presented seperately. The directors weren't chuffed, as the UK versions of the films aren't entirely the way they planned.

The films are longer as separate entities than the double bill version.

• 3 weeks later...

I eventually got time to watch this last night. Yep, good movie. Thought Kurt was good, but the last half an hour i thought was awsome. I have the soundtrack to it as well which (I think)is one of the best Tarantino soundtracks!!

Planet Terror has been posted, should get it next week when the posties get off there arses and get back to fuckin work!!!!

I enjoyed it a lot, just wish he would stop putting himself in his own movies because he is a shitty actor.

I dunno, he's quite good in From Dusk Till Dawn. He carries off the whole homicidal rapist thing quite well.

For the record i really like Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill Vol1/2. I quite like a few of the ones he's written too like From Dusk Till Dawn and True Romance. I'm not fond of Jackie Brown though i guess it's ok.

I think it's a pretty decent film. The action scenes are pretty nice, especially the crash in the first part. Kurt Russell is good, most of the girls are pretty annoying though, especially all the "I'M GONNA TAP THAT ASS ONE! MORE! TIME! BITCH!" stuff in the chase.

Suundtrack is cool too.

Planet Terror!!

I got Planet Terror through on region 1 today!! I've been dying to see this movie for ages, a bit more than Death Proof as im more a robert rodriguez fan.

I read the screenplay for the film a couple of months ago and thought it was ace, and on watching the movie, my expections were far exceeded. t's really a film that you can't take seriously! Also it's not the best movie for the faint of heart! At times it's really gory, over the top gory!!

Out of the two this was my fave, mainly because a zombie movie by rodriguez was more appealing to me than a slasher movie by Tarantino!! Oh and Rose Mcgowan half naked for over an hour and a half! mmmmmm!!!!

I also heard that Planet Terror isn't getting a cinema release over here, anyone know? Just Googled it!! UK Release Date 09/11/2007!!

GO AND SEE IT!!!

death proof was pretty cool if you ask me, coulda been gorier but the dialogue was quite cool and the car scenes are good. Also made me laugh out loud a few times, dunno if it was intentional or not but some of the scenes were funny as fuck, i.e the bit where the girls see mike in his car across the road and he tears off, then 2 seconds l8r they look over and he's back in the same place facing the same direction as before, and he tears off again... funny cuz it seemed stupid...

It sucks that they're splitting up Grindhouse for over here. I really liked the double bill concept, and the fake trailers were hilarious. That said, Death Proof definitely looks weak next to Planet Terror. Too much padding and the dialogue was crappy. Always good to see The Mullet in action, though!

I loved Deathproof, got the R1 DVD and have Planet Terror coming soon from U.S. Thing that disappoints me though is the lack of fake trailers on the DVD's. I was looking forward to seeing them as much as the film.

You can watch them on you tube etc but hoped could redo Grindhouse experience at home as best as possible.

Eli Roth obviously enjoyed making his fake trailer as his next film is a collection of fake trailers called Trailer Trash!

I enjoyed it a lot, just wish he would stop putting himself in his own movies because he is a shitty actor.
I dunno, he's quite good in From Dusk Till Dawn. He carries off the whole homicidal rapist thing quite well.

I agree.

From Dusk 'til Dawn he played the part of Ritchie quite well. Not forgetting his appearance in Pulp Fiction.

Another qulaity Tarantino role can bee seen in the final sequence of Four Rooms starring Tim Roth as the film's only recurring character. Trantino wrote, directed and starred in this segment entitled The Man From Holywood which was an homage to a Hitchcock TV short.

I took my father in to see Death Proof. We both agreed it was good but not his best.