aberdeen-music

NEOS - North East Open Studios

lepeep

ha ha....

come on stipie, be a bit more subtle to try and get a raise out of you "victims"...

that was a piss poor 3 out of 10 for trolling.

must try harder.

Sorry, obviously I'll need to explain now that I actually know an artist who was part of NEOS in the past and decided it was no longer worth his while to be associated with it, so I've heard all the bad news and to be frank, I've seen some of the "art" this year and previous years - it's basically just awful parochial rubbish.

and they are not one of the clever people who know what NEOS can do for them...

probably thought that "NEOS" is a group of people who organise everything for them, and make sure that thousands of buying "customers" come through their door, as it is their god given right, because they are an artist.

Oh...

no, probably not.

My wife and I had a fantastic year last year, met many great people, forged new friendships and sold quite a few things...all because we worked hard at it, and made sure we advertised etc.

but, you get out what you put in.

I look forward to seeing your artistic output.....sooooon....one day......will we?.....

don't be silly phil, he's a troll....and this is what he does.

Grow up, it's my opinion, that's what discussion is, so stop bloody whining "troll" every time someone disagrees with you.

It's the way you present your opinion that makes you a troll, you're aways deliberately antagonistic. If you were a bit more respectful of other posters and their opinions while taking part in discussions then you wouldn't have people shouting troll every time you post.

"nobody with any credibility would have anything to do with it"...

I am glad I am involved in it....and so are the other hard working volunteers too.

I am a half full person, and that's always a help.

I think you guys should buy a round bed, less chance of getting out the wrong side of it.

----- edits

I've been thinking about your statements...and (as usual) they are not backed up by any valid reasons as to why "it's a waste of time" "no credibility" etc.

Now, am I right in thinking that local artists who want to show their work to the local community (and many visiting tourists) are wasting their time? Should we all be working towards never showing our work here, and only striving to get into the Edinburgh, Glasgow, or even London "markets"?

If you are so embarrassed about "a local movement", what have you done to rectify it's parochial approach?

If your criticism is that NEOS is "full of crap crafts", then I put it to you that you've just not seen enough of it, or have a pretty limited expectation / vision of the 181 artists involved.

Granted, there are people who paint nothing but pictures of Bennachie, but just because you don't like it, or disrespect their drive and needs - doesn't mean to say that these people should have an outlet for their work...much like someone who produces contemporary video art.

As I've said, NEOS is what the artist makes of it. It's not a "magical body of people" who make things happen in the Aberdeen/shire art world...It is a voluntary body, only trying to form some structure for local artists to have a chance to show their work and ways of working.

SO, If you all think that is a waste of time, parochial or just un-credible...please, form something better and make Aberdeen a place worth celebrating....

but, you could just slag shit off anonymously on a message board and think you are making a difference.

Phil.

I think Stripey is a lone voice here...

NEOS is becoming quite a big calender event and those organising and involved should be congratulated. Granted there isn't a great deal in it that is to my taste but who cares it's providing a platform for many makers to show and sell their work and go some way to putting money in their pocket, if that's the intention, through their practice. If I was able to travel easily around the shire then it would be nothing short of a lovely few days visiting folk and no doubt happen upon some great work. There is a very big crafts and arts community in Aberdeenshire with an open attitude to supporting one another if they so choose.

:up:

It's been a great opportunity for me to talk about my MA work to an audience that would not normaly access that side of art.... and I've had several interesting conversations.

Granted, it's not like talking to Ken Neil about the finer points of art philosophy, but I'd like to think that it creates interest and open mindedness within our art interested community.

thanks for the words of support Twojoe. (Good to see that even if you don't like the majority of the content of NEOS, you've got a mature attitude to its existence).

Stripey: "nobody with any credibilty (sic) would have anything to do with it."

Teabags: "Statement of fact."

Sounds like an opinion to me, unless you know for a fact that everyone associated with NEOS - artists, admin, visitors - has any credibility. Maybe you should go and have a word with Mr lepeep about truth and art :up: