aberdeen-music

Best Jukebox in Aberdeen

goldengates

i think I have discoverd the best jukebox in aberdeen.....in the Tilted Wig.

Its got 2 million songs on it, we tried to outsmart it with requests for obscure stuff, but it couldnt be beat. It also has the ability to jump the queue and let you play your track as the next song rather than after all the other orders have gone through so if there are folk there trying to play music untoward your taste, you can cut in on it!

the booze is decently priced too, so a nice little find indeed.

My favourite is the old one in the Blue Lamp....exactly the same selection as when I was under-age drinking in the early 70s. Not many juke boxes about still packed with early 7"s of the Stones, Jethro Tull, Frijid Pink, Crispian St Peters (!) etc

Best international one I've come across is the one in the Lakeside Lounge, NYC.

Lakeside Lounge

i

Its got 2 million songs on it, we tried to outsmart it with requests for obscure stuff, but it couldnt be beat.

It can be. Try searching for some long prog songs such as 'change of seasons' by Dream Theater, 'the oddysey' by Symphony X or such like and they won't have them, or let you play them

I'd pay a pound or 2 for a song if you get 25 mins, but alas those sort of tunes not allowed.

Guest DustyDeviada
I'd pay a pound or 2 for a song if you get 25 mins, but alas those sort of tunes not allowed.

Ha, yes I always used to annoy people by putting the live version of Telegraph Road by Dire Straits on the jukebox, all 14 minutes.

The jukebox in The Bielder used to cut all songs off after 6 minutes though. :down:

Campbell's Bar in Torry has a belter of a Juke Box although I don't think it beats 2 million songs so you're probably right. Foo much to play a track?

I think the Glentanar's juker has "More than A Feeling" by Boston on 4 different CDs. It also has a Simply Red album which one of the regulars seems to love. I still love the 'Tanar, I don't know why.

Pretty soon those Internet jukeboxes with access to zillions of tunes via hard drive and MP3 download will be the only jukeboxes that bars can rent, unless they choose to build their own.

We chose to build our own...

The reasons were:

1) Out of the 2 million available tunes there are at least 1.9 million that we would consider to be unacceptable. Having those tune available would attract dickheads. And them playing those tunes would piss off out our valued clientele.

2) Internet jukeboxes do not generally have access to tracks by unsigned acts. You're not going to find Eric Euan on it are you?

3) Internet jukeboxes are limited in terms of what they can be connected to. Surely one measure of a good jukebox is the quality of sound that comes out. An overstressed "Ying Tong" amp with 200W speakers and "BOOM BASS ©" doesn't really cut it.

4) During the day when it's quiet and provided you have decent fidelity, it is easy to discern the difference in sound quality between an MP3 and a CD audio. So why settle for MP3?

5) The Internet jukebox takes the pricing power away from the bar and puts it in the hands of the rental compnay which then pays the bar a percentage. Why does it cost 2 to download some obscure tune when the real cost of that download is perhaps 10p?

Does the jukebox of 45s in the Blue Lamp still work? Now OK this goes against my own agrument on points 2), 3), and 4) but that jukebox is so evocative it's like going back to the 1970s, especially since the decor hasn't changed in almost 40 years! I can remember getting pished there between lectures in 1990 drinking Beamish and listening to Steely Dan Reeling in the years cracking away on an old 45. To be able to relive that 17 years later is absolutely awesome.

Peep Peeps has one too but it's more 1980 and it gave up the ghost back in 2002 to the best of my knowledge. Unless they somehow got it repaired.

I concur

That's a positive, surely? ;)

I agree!

Leon from eric euan.

He he.

My fave used to be King Tuts jukie. Piled with stuff that the bar staff like or bands that had played there through the years but to be honest the Moorings innovative Jukester, which is compiled in a similar manner beats it. That's not cause we're on it but because everytime I've been in there've been a whole bunch of little suprises come on and I've definetely expanded my cd collection as a result.

Does the jukebox of 45s in the Blue Lamp still work? Now OK this goes against my own agrument on points 2), 3), and 4) but that jukebox is so evocative it's like going back to the 1970s, especially since the decor hasn't changed in almost 40 years! I can remember getting pished there between lectures in 1990 drinking Beamish and listening to Steely Dan Reeling in the years cracking away on an old 45. To be able to relive that 17 years later is absolutely awesome.

Peep Peeps has one too but it's more 1980 and it gave up the ghost back in 2002 to the best of my knowledge. Unless they somehow got it repaired.

The Lampie one was working not too long ago...definitely in the last year and a half, as I spent an enjoyavly nostalgic night there with some pals feeding it, and recalling wild nights there (and upstairs). I was about seven, Dusty:laughing:

I stayed in Culter for a while (mid 70s), and the wee pub on the left as you go out (was it the Richmond Arms in those days?) used to have a record deck in the 'lounge' and a pile of LPs, so you could select some sounds.

Hard to believe, but there was a Kitchen Cynics CD on the Moorings jukebox for a while (but in pre-Flash days). That must've caused some annoyance (mind you, nobody would ever have played it, so maybe not!).

Guest Steven Dedalus
not kissing ass here but i'd say the moorings probably has the best as you dont have to remortgage your house for every album's worth of songs you get and they have a decent selection.

plus, they have kyuss.

I used to love it when Flash would turn up in One Up, and buy 100 albums in one go. Not only because it meant that myself and my staff would be able to eat for another week, but also because he generally let us help out with the selections (which is why there was some funk on it for ages...)

Although I have one particularly bad memory of hearing 'Angel of Death' about 14 times in one night.

That one in Peep Peeps was a shocker. I don't think the selection had been updated since the day it was installed and you had to grovel to jabba behind the bar for some old stylee coins to get the thing to work and even then you might not get any volume

I seem to remember Freelands had a decent Jukebox, but then again, those were hazy, hazy days................

The juker in the Wig is cool since you can find pretty much anything on it, the downpaoints being

1 - It costs a pound to hear one song, which is a rip-off.

2 - The sound quality varies wildly with different tracks. One song will be so loud you can barely hear yourself speak. Then the song you paid a pound for comes on and it's so quiet you have to tell all your mates to stop talking for 4 minutes so you can hear it.

I'm not a fan of the video jukeboxes that seem to be popping up everywhere, as becuase all the songs need a video they all seem to be full of really commercial stuff, and it seems to be the jukebox owner who dictate what goes in it and not the pubs. And who watches the fucking videos anyway? Gimme a good old CD jukebox with 6 songs for a pound anyday.

uh, I feel like I have so much to learn!

Yeah, sound quality definatley changes in the tilted wig, and the jump the queue ability meant that my friends and I started a music war with the other crowd who were into their metal one night.

I do recall sitting in king tuts totally lovin the stuff that was on. I learned the first time dont bother wasting your pennies cause its clogged up with money and tunes picked by staff and regulars but it was all good so no worries. I havent been there in a long time come to think of it - I think thats a sign of age (as in loosing touch/excitement with the upcoming bands scene), most bands I see today are in the barras or carling academy.

The only album Ive gone out and bought after hearing it on a jukie was Mile Davis big fun and that was in NYC, on orchard street somewhere.

As for old v new, well, I dont mind poor sound if the songs are good. Nostaligia is good in the right place, but so is the here and now. And I tihnk that unsigned stuff should be played by a dj cause there is so much good music out there that if you have a bunch of people picking it, the music is going to be all over the shop in one night and that can be exhausting and take away from the atmosphere, but a dj is more likely to keep to a certian sound or feel and build on atmosphere so you will benefit more from hearing the new stuff.

Its been good getting everyones insights to jukies though, Ive learned stuff!