aberdeen-music

Speakers in amps

fatboy

ah well got the new circuits for my amp and thank fuck it didn't blow when i switched it on, only thing is one of the speakers is buzzing, took it out and looked at it, there is no visible damage to the speaker cone, is there any way to repair speakers or stop them from buzzing, the cheapest replacement i can find is 30 notes delivered,

its definitely the speaker thats at fault, nothing in the amp is lose to cause it to vibrate, when i disconnect the speaker and run on the left speaker on its own the buzzing stops...would appreciate any advice...had a major problem with the amp which just got sorted to find the speaker is fucked...plus lack of money doesn't help

I can't say for sure, but it sounds like your coil has been deformed slightly and is rubbing against the inside of the speaker. There's nothing you can do to repair it other than a complete recone, but if a new one is only 30 I'd go for that option.

One way to double check that it is the speaker, take the feed from the clean left speaker and feed it through the suspect right speaker (with the left one disconnected). If the buzz is still there it must be the speaker.

If the buzz isn't there that points to an amp problem (connect the suspect amp channel to the left speaker, which you know is good, to double check).

Btw, is it a valve amp?