aberdeen-music

Metal is shit

Hog

"First an arm and then a leg"...............

Go on Dan, I bet you know the album:up:

haha, I love the artwork on Leprosy. Same for Spiritual Healing. :up:

But I was more thinking mid-to-latter period death i.e. "Human" onwards, with Symbolic being my particular favourite. (one of my top 10 albums of all time in fact).

Death - 'Symbolic' and 'The Sound Of Perseverance'

Testament - 'The New Order' and 'Practice What You Preach'

Forbidden - 'Twisted Into Form'

Essential classic (yet still relevant) metal!

And I would recommend 'Epitaph' by Necrophagist fpr anyone that likes their metal brutal, fast, extremely technical and also melodic (musically).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone already said (like any "good" music), you just need to know where to look...it's the faddy stuff that is not "the essence" but some piss poor marketing ploy to "get the dollars in", to which most true "metal" fans can sniff a mile away.

the heady days of "original grind, death, splatter etc" will never be repeated - but that does not mean to say that some new exciting "genre" will emerge and drive a scene.

Exactly, but it's not even about new genre's, it's bads who put their own spin and style on a genre.

I already started a thread about this a while ago defending the accusation that metal nowadays is shit. Mainstream metal is faddish and crap, so learn to live with it, and learn to live with that fact that there are good metal bands who are at their peak just now producing classic albums, but they are completely overlooked because metal is not in the same position as it was when Reign in Blood, Master of Puppets or Vulgar Display of Power came out. I'd go fucking crazy sitting around waiting for the next big name metal band to release a new album (let alone a good one).

I'm still a huge Metallica fan, but their albums are few and far between now, Tool too, in my opinion Megadeth and Slayer have lost it, Maiden have done the same album now for more than 20 years, Fear Factory, Bodom, Iced Earth, In Flames, whoever else, they all recorded their best stuff AGES ago now, and as much as I will still listen to what they produce now it's hardly a metal scene is it? And yes you can go back to older albums from bands like those, and other bands that aren't even around anymore like Death and Pantera and stuff, but this is really about metal just now.

Most of the metal fans I know on here do find other bands they like and listen to them but for some reason when a metal discussion starts it comes back to sodding Devin Townsend, Machinehead, Megadeth or a bunch of the bands shown on Scuzz 10 times a day, and until people get round that and start recognising the good metal bands that are grafting it, doing their own thing and the next generation of the older metal bands we love, then the "metal is crap just now" generalisations will keep coming because it's a genre thats living in the past.

Sanctity, Torchbearer, Arsis, Pain, Lux Occulta, Farmakon, Abydos, Novembers Doom, Dark Suns, Gojira, Wolverine, Theory in Practice, Sinners Bleed, Orphaned Land, someone, please, or even the older bands that have fantastic overlooked catalogues of music out there like Porcupine Tree and Edge of Sanity, these are METAL bands, they have small but hardcore fanbases that aren't influenced by what they look like or the fact that one of the members is Corey Taylor or Vinne fucking Paul.

Which reminds me "proper" metal scene, please drop the Dimebag's dead issue so you can get on with life.

If your looking for metal come the launch of my metal night on Thursday 20th of September!

Going to be running it every two weeks.

I wont post a flyer in this thread, but check out 'other clubs and venues' and 'announcements' for more details.

I like COC. Just to make it seem this post wasn't a cheap effort at promo! :p

:rockon:

As far as bands getting shit...they tend to get bored doing the same shit day in, day out.

I can see that but...

Fear Factory - Soul of a new machine rips my speakers to peices, i don't even think demanufacture compares to it in terms of aggression.

Death - They lost a lot of fans becoming more technical and progressive, though individual thought patterns is in my own opinion, chucks best work ever.

Machine head - Burn my eyes was excellent, the 2nd album could't compare, then they released pap for years, rob cried for a bit and then wrote a couple of good riffs, then gets album of the year, pah!

Testament - The first few albums are sheer brilliance, the later 90's stuff...meh, no comparison.

Gorguts - Ripened with age...and no one could understand it.

I want to bring some of the better unheard songs to the metal night(mentioned above).

Im sick of hearing davidian, walk and entersandman.

How about some Death, gorguts, suffocation, soilent green, testament...At the gates(The old stuff, not the "We are slayer" era)?

o_O

I Like the "red in the sky..." and the "With fear..." albums, "with fear..." is actually my favourite at the gates album.

By slayer-era at the gates i mean slaughter of the soul. their previous albums kept my intrest where slaughter did not. after the first two songs i think to myself..."how many songs are they gonna write on one album where they play almost the same riff all the time". it bores me.

songs like none divine and raped by the light of christ skin blinded by fear and suicide nation anyday.

And yes the first haunted album was (Quite)good.

There's a quote that I will never forget that I read in a music magazine (metal hammer, I think) about ten years ago. Reviewing the first Haunted album the reivewer said;

"I never really understood At The Gates - noisy fuckers that lacked direction"

And nearly a decade later, it seems that every metal band sounds like them in some way or another.

Metal is actually mainstream in a number of European countries. Metal albums get into top 10 chart positions across Scandanavia regularly. In Germany, it isn't nearly as underground as it is here. Infact, I would be suprised if Metal was less popular anywhere else in Europe than it is here.

Across Latin America, metal is mainstream in a significant proportion of countries.

The result of this means that most of the best Heavy Metal bands at the moment come from Europe. There are probably a fair few from Latin America that I don't know of also.

True metal is not in any way dead. Mainstream rock has changed and many people who started listening to Korn, Tool and the like have noticed it becomming less popular so they assume it to be 'dead'.

As with Death Metal. A few years a go a lot of melodic death metal bands became quite popular with the likes of In Flames and Arch Enemy.

Amon Amarth are the main death metal band I can think of who have recently became very popular.

In the last couple of years power metal bands have probably been more notable with the likes of Dragonforce and Sonata Arctica.

Metal has never really changed in popularity a great deal. There is always the same crowd listening to it. There might ocasionally be a few metal bands that get popular but the number of metalheads stays the same.

Anyone heard the canadian band "NEGATIVA"

Has ex-gorguts guitarists Luc Lemay and Steeve Hurdle, ex-Ion Dissonance bassist Miguel Valade and Augury Drummer Etienne Gallo.

It's some real heavy shit...but more importantly...Unique.

Check thier myspace...

MySpace.com - NEGATIVA (is looking for a female,clean vocalist) - Montreal, Quebec - Metal / Progressive / Experimental - www.myspace.com/negativa1

Thats what i want to hear more of.

Metal is actually mainstream in a number of European countries.

It might not be considered 'mainstream' here, but it's certainly at the top of the pecking order in terms of 'alternative' music for the kiddies (13-19yrs old): about 10 years ago when Oasis and all that lot were hot shit, you couldn't move for crap indie bands with honking vocalists and cast off shitty riffs. It's the same now, except you replace 'Oasis' with 'Killswitch Engage', and 'crap indie bands' with 'gumby metal posing cocksuckers'.

I can hardly even be bothered with metal these days, though that's not to say I don't give it a spin now and again.....

It might not be considered 'mainstream' here, but it's certainly at the top of the pecking order in terms of 'alternative' music for the kiddies (13-19yrs old): about 10 years ago when Oasis and all that lot were hot shit, you couldn't move for crap indie bands with honking vocalists and cast off shitty riffs. It's the same now, except you replace 'Oasis' with 'Killswitch Engage', and 'crap indie bands' with 'gumby metal posing cocksuckers'.

I can hardly even be bothered with metal these days, though that's not to say I don't give it a spin now and again.....

But that simply isn't true in more than one sense. Metal is still very underground here, far more than just about anywhere else. Especially true metal.

and British indie is super popular at the moment.