aberdeen-music

Metal is shit

Hog

Yes, it may come across as a "Hog is old and doesn't know what is hip regarding metal thread".

Seriously,

I watched the Kerrang awards...

Machine have made the perfect record (for the record company who know what to forcefeed the kids). Enter Shikari....wtf, has somebody forced you guys to sling the guitars up to your necks and then move the headstock to the floor quickly? Shit music.

No, this is not a "Hog is emo bashing".

While I am on a roll... Kef is shit. There is a local band who are full of nice guys apart from their singer who totally blanks us...jeez grow up.

Anyway, back to the point. Maxi let me hear his band "Archives" the other night. Fucking ace, all about the music, some people might think..."but its screamo"..no, its music and it is honest untainted music.

Machinehead ....they were unheard of a few years ago, the record company told them to sound like MH with some Trivium then advertised the piss out of it.

No wonder Devin Townsend quit his band when they started to become well known. Strapping Young Lad...sponsored by Blah blah bah and blah blah blah...fuck off.

Im glad I got that off my chest.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, there is nothing wrong with how high someone wears their guitar, thats a little silly now isn't it? I do agree that their music is absolute pap though, i would rather listen to the inside of my arsehole ripping open.

While you are on the subject of shite metal, when and why did fear factory become so bollocks?

They usd to be great, everything up to and including obsolete was sheer brilliance, and then...well, you know the rest.

I accidentally stubled across the kerrang awards the other day...and indeed, Machine Head were on, and I switched off after thinking "they all sound the same now".

and it is indicative of marketing trying to direct the sound, which is awful.

as for poncy singers in local bands...come on Hog...it's their chance to pretend to be in a "real rock band"...quite funny actually, let them prove it to everyone! (I met my fair share of asshole fronted bands when giging)

Yes, it may come across as a "Hog is old and doesn't know what is hip regarding metal thread".

Seriously,

I watched the Kerrang awards...

Machine have made the perfect record (for the record company who know what to forcefeed the kids). Enter Shikari....wtf, has somebody forced you guys to sling the guitars up to your necks and then move the headstock to the floor quickly? Shit music.

No, this is not a "Hog is emo bashing".

While I am on a roll... Kef is shit. There is a local band who are full of nice guys apart from their singer who totally blanks us...jeez grow up.

Anyway, back to the point. Maxi let me hear his band "Archives" the other night. Fucking ace, all about the music, some people might think..."but its screamo"..no, its music and it is honest untainted music.

Machinehead ....they were unheard of a few years ago, the record company told them to sound like MH with some Trivium then advertised the piss out of it.

No wonder Devin Townsend quit his band when they started to become well known. Strapping Young Lad...sponsored by Blah blah bah and blah blah blah...fuck off.

Im glad I got that off my chest.

I agree with you! It is all metal by number and copy cat stuff now a days! I used to like Machine Head but they have only ever really had one good album. Enter Shiwhatevertheyarecalled are utter pish. I cant even listen to a whole song, terrible terrible band. But with the media following all these "cool" bands no wonder kids are wanting to copy them.

Kef is shit i totally agree,

This weekend has been a real shit one for me and my band. Cancelled gig on fri due to kef then a trip to Arbroath where we were pulled from the line up twice then got a slot back of 8 after we were meant o be playing at 4pm! Only to go onto stage to find the pa system was tatties and died. What i did learn from this weekend is that everyband mostly on that bill, well the "headliners" are all about themselves and couldnt give a shit about music, or other bands. Which to me is just fucking terrible. What happend to a scene, we work in a hardcore ethics sorta way, ya know? Try help folk out, etc.. but we have learned if we are to play gigs we have to become selfish and only look after number 1, which means as a band we have to change but why should we just so we can get gigs. Our weekend has been really bad and have met some ace people and some reet cock ends. Terrible terrible place the "metal scene" is in at the moment, and i cant see it changing while wanna be metal kids jump on the band wagon.

I made a point of not watching any of the Kerrang Awards. They are responsible for the media shifts and decline in decent music getting publicity. It is about time people realized this and stopped buy that shit mag.

i have prob lost my point by now so i will stop ranting.

Divine Heresy? Yep, pish. And FF made areasonable record with Archetype (IMHO better than Obsolete) but they're a fucking joke now.

Whats up with the MH hating? Awesome band, several ace albums (Supercharger is pish) and they still sound like only themselves - WTF are you on about Hog in terms of "sounding like Trivium"? (the wine may have muddled your message).

I agree with the state of metal though - soooooo many generic metalcore, tuneless, lack of talent wannabes about. That said, great releases from Shels, Neurosis, Municipal Waste, SSS, Megadeth, Clutch, The Warriors, Jesu etc, plus a host of great Hardcore releases have kept my interest in "heavy" music up.

Enter Shirari are AWFUL though.

Firstly, most of what you mention above is firstly not real metal.

We need more metal.

Heavyness is nothing without metal. Too many heavy bands that aren't metal around.

Also, very few good American metal bands at the moment. Europe has 1000s of great metal bands and it is less underground across much of Europe....... Nevermore, Kamelot, Symphony X are all great American heavy metal bands though.

The UK mostly has really big old Heavy Metal bands like Saxon, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc.

We also have a good few metal bands with small undergorund followings but there isn't much inbetween.

I went to an heavy metal festival in England called Bloodstock Open Air. Only something in the region of 5000 attended but that is an advantage as you aren't a stupid distance from bands, smaller campsite and suchlike. At previous bloodstock festivals the focus was on power metal but this year hardly had any (which is disapointing to me as a fan of power metal but it means it appeals to a wider range of peopel). I saw many great bands and I enjoyed myself. Deffinatley going back next year. Tickets this year were only 61. Set to go up to 85 next year but you can get one for 61 until december.

Korpiklaani..... Everyone must hear them as they are amzing. A Finnish folik metal band with an Arcodian player and Violin/finnish pipes player. Songs to hear in particular; happy little boozer, hunting song and wooden pints.

Kerrang is not the place to find metal. I grew up knowing that, I believe this may have been differnet at one point though.

This thread is absurd. The concept that a genre of music is/or has become 'shit' solely because you've only chosen to expose yourself to it at the bare minimum level comes across as a tad redundant to me.

There are plenty of great metal releases out there; you just need to dig a bit further...

Hog is too busy rollin around in his Devinly Mudpit.

This thread is absurd. The concept that a genre of music is/or has become 'shit' solely because you've only chosen to expose yourself to it at the bare minimum level comes across as a tad redundant to me.

There are plenty of great metal releases out there; you just need to dig a bit further...

You give the impression that I don't listen to much metal....I can tell you that I do.

Medichi, regarding Machine Head, listen to song called "Halo" its cringe worthy. Im not saying that they are a bad band. The last album was pretty good but this latest one...it really is pandering to what the recording companies are trying to force down peoples throats.

hear hear. they put on a quality show. and the vocalist's leg shuffle... i wish i could do that.

Machine Head... I was a big fan (of 'through the ashes...') when i didn't really know anything. They are very cheesy, especially on 'The Blackening' (the name..awful) but i just take them for what they are now. Occasionally i do get overwhelmed by just how bad Robb's lyrics are though.

Yes I agree, metal is shit and has been since the 80's.

I watched an enter shikari vid on youtube because of this thread and started wondering wether it was some kind of satire - either way those kids voices have barely broken, they are totally worthless, a characature of a band - the kind of thing you might see in the background of an episode of hollyoaks while the rebellious young pierced twatkids in the plot are out at a disco without their parents permission drinking too much and later going into a coma due to alcohol poisoning.

You give the impression that I don't listen to much metal....I can tell you that I do.

You misinterpret me, my comment wasn't a direct accusation towards anyone, I was merely commenting upon the general tone of the thread. It's absurd to complain about how a musical genre is or has become shit; rule of thumb dictates that within any genre there is going to be a large percentage of garbage, whether that is subjectively or universally. Best thing to do is block out the shit and listen to the good

started wondering wether it was some kind of satire

I actually think all metal is fairly satirical.

Dont get me wrong i like metal but almost any band i can think of can make me laugh. Black metal photo shoots, the title "silent night, bodom night", all power metal, videos of people being vikings running around forrests - all hilarious but good none the less.

this thread is funnny

metal is in a lull just now, as genres go through, im sure the uprising will appear soon enough.

metal bands will learn to put on their own gigs like filthpact, we shall be blessed, bonesaw and forever tied have done. they will realise that good/fun aberdeen metal gigs will only exist in DIY and nae through shite like KEF or gigs which dont give a fuck about the DIY scene (see cOvEr y00r mOuTh, etc)