aberdeen-music

Second Coming

get lost

Having a blast through this magically underated Stone Roses album again with headphones on and I must admit it the musicianship of that band should not be underestimated. Heaps of different styles, psychedelia, pop, rock, indie, dance, anyone else agree or was it a botched jam from a band who had lost there way before splitting

Guest DustyDeviada

I remember telling Phil Rae about Love Spreads in Computing Studies class when it first came out, we must have been in 5th year. I said "It sounds like Led Zeppelin with Madchester vocals." which I thought was a pretty apt description.

Guest bluesxman

It's patchier than the debut album, probably because they messed about so long making it, and as stated earlier the expectation was too much for it but it has some great tunes on it such as Love Spreads, Begging You and Ten Storey Love Song. It sounds fuck all like Led Zeppelin. IMHO of course.

Really, really good album. Hasn't dated nearly as badly as The Stone Roses, although i do accept that albums that define a particular time will always date worse. There are some truly great songs on it.

It never lived up to expectations - it probably couldn't have - but it's still excellent.

i think thats a good assessment of it. the roses themselves didn't help. the arrogance they portrayed previously didn't work second time around. things had changed big style since 1989 plus the internal squabblings within the band as well.

i always took the record at 'face value' and i think its stood the test of time rather well. first album does sound dated now but its still a soundtrack to a generation.

it has some corkers, Ten Storey Love Song, Tears, Love Spreads and Breaking Into Heaving are 4 of their best songs.

the debut, for me, is still far and away the best thing they did, despite shoddy production. never understood why Second Coming is generally hated though, but then again, i wasn't aware of it at the time it was released, so have always approaced the album totally hype-free.

great band.

I think the Second coming is a decent enough album, although it is patchy in places.

Had they (the roses) not gotten tied up in that legal mess with Silvertone, i think we'd have gotten an entirely different album to be honest.

If you listen to One Love and What The Worlds Been Waiting For, you can hear the direction they are going. Anthemic songs with Big Grooves

I really think if they'd got to make the second album in 91-92, it would have been a defining moment in the history of british indie music.

As it stands, they took too long............

• 2 weeks later...

I think its a great album, and one i keep going back too. Good Times and Breaking in to Heaven remind me of going to meet the lads, and getting pished on a bottle of Blue Ocean or the like.

Ahh the good ole days!!!

Still its really the only album from that era i still listen too, along with Devil Hopping by the Inspiral Carpets and one or two others!!