aberdeen-music

Best cover versions ever

Lemonade

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Old thread I know but not much point starting a new one when one exists already.

Heard Lenny Kravitz covering John Lennon's "Cold Turkey" today and it is very very good. It's off this album. 24 tracks of Lennon covers. Some good, some bad.

41pL7MVRmNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Highlights - Green Day doing a great version of "Working Class Hero", and a beautiful Flaming Lips version of "Just Like Starting Over". Lowlights - Avril Lavigne murdering "Imagine". There's some big names on the CD (U2, Aerosmith, REM, The Cure etc). You can almost imagine Bono's conversation once they've agreed to take part.

"OK we're on board. So who's getting "Imagine"? Avril Lavigne? For fuck's sake...."

My favourite cover version is I Love You, You Big Dummy by Magazine but that's already been mentioned, so here's 10 that haven't...

Luka - The Lemonheads

Take Me To The River - Talking Heads

Police & Thieves - The Clash

Black Jack Davey - The White Stripes

Reason To Believe - Rod Stewart & The Faces

Papa's Got a Brand New Bag - Georgie Fame

Hold Back The Night - Graham Parker

Devil Went Down To Georgia - The Levellers

Dirty Old Town - The Pogues

16 Tons - The Redskins

Jeff Buckley always did some superb covers. There's the obvious one (which I won't raise as it may reprise an old thread) but I enjoyed his version of I Know It's Over by The Smiths. The legacy edition of Live at Sin-E had some crackers as well.

And Radiohead's version of Nobody Does It Better. Nothing out the ordinary by any stretch of the imagination but I thought it sounded shit hot particularly when Ed O'Brien's guitar kicks into about half way through.