aberdeen-music

Best cover versions ever

Lemonade

Does anyone remember that "Help" album that came out in 95 to support Warchild or something?

Sinead O'Connor did a version of Ode to Billy Joe on that that was amazing.

Can I also add Always on my Mind by Willie Nelson.

yes i have the warchild album somewhere!!!

and i always like the pet shop boys version of always on my mind.

Of course Elvis himself did lots of great cover versions, That's Alright Mama must surely be one of the greatest covers ever. See also Guitar Man and Blue Suede Shoes.

oh yes have you heard elvis's version of 'old macdonald's farm' from the Double Trouble film??? hearing is believing!!!

I don't know what I would say is the 'best', but some covers I'm partial to include:

Misfits - Day The Earth Caught Fire. (Balzac)

Shiny Toy Guns - Nothing Compares To You. Or '2 U'. I forget.

The Ataris - Boys of Summer.

Amanda Palmer - Such Great Heights.

Afi - We Bite. (Misfits)

Dresden Dolls - War Pigs.

I also quite like Blaqk Audio's version of Blur's 'Girls and Boys.'

That all I can think of off the top of my head.

Guest DustyDeviada

Oasis, are in chaotic form with My Generation

That needs to be added to the "worst covers" thread. In fact, Oasis manage to butcher most tunes they attempt to cover, I Am the Walrus was OK I suppose.

Dillinger Escape Plan- Like I Love You (Justin Timberlake)

Its good to put on compilations to fuck with peoples heads but its exactly the same as the original.

Lawnmower Death - Kids in America

Acid Reign - Warriors of Ghengis Khan

The Berzerker - Chapel of Ghouls & Corporal Jigsore Quandary

Xentrix - Ghostbusters

Napalm Death - Troops of Doom

Guest Steven Dedalus
Another 5...

Magazine 'I love you, you big dummy'

This Mortal Coil 'Song to the Siren'

John Otway 'Cheryl's going home'

Scott Walker 'Jacky'

The Fall 'Mr Pharmacist'

Can't believe I forgot the Fall, This Mortal Coil and Magazine!!! Sir, you win, yet again!

But I'm going to take issue with the Scott Walker one...I'm not entirely sure that can be classed as a cover version, because it's more or less the definitive recording. I know it's a bit of a fine line, but it would be a bit like saying that the Monkees covered "Daydream Believer" (I know it's not the same thing, but it sort of feels similar).

I think given that "Jacky" is a translation, and the original Belgian version wasn't really available in Britain sort of makes it a bit shaky.

I guess I don't like the thought of Scott 'covering' anyone, even though he did it all the time!

That's what i like about it. They could've easily done a thrashy math version of it but it shows a greater depth in their musical ability doing it in a more straight ahead fashion.

The bit where they say 'Chris' instead of 'drums'. Ha. I never really enjoyed this cover, as much as i like Greg's voice, it just didn't do it. The 'solo' was rubbish too. If they really were gonna just do a straight forward cover a cheesy 'hi-gain' solo would have been the order of the day. Pentatonic all the way.

The slightly poppier side of me enjoys a very select few of the Radio One Live Lounge covers. Like Razorlight - Hey Ya! and Lost Prophets - Cry Me A River. Just a smadge different, but a nice listen.

Futureheads - Hounds of Love. The vocals, i do love them.

Guest DustyDeviada

Status Quo - Rockin' All Over the World

The Everly Brothers - Love is Strange

The Hollies - The Air That I Breathe

George Harrison - Got My Mind Set on You

The Rolling Stones - Route 66 and Down the Road Apeice

I have lots of favourites but at the moment both of my favourites are by Camera Obscura. Their cover of Abba's Super Trouper is absolutely heartbreaking genius, and their cover of Sheena Easton's Modern Girl is a piece of brilliant Indie-Pop female empowerment. I may never have children because I will never love them as much as I love Camera Obscura.

Certainly agree with you there. I've been listening to a lot more ABBA these days as a result. And they really are a forgotten treasure. My favourite recent covers are the Magnetic Fields "Born on a Train" when it was covered by the Arcade Fire and "Leaving on a Jet Plane" by Ani DiFranco. I really am inclined to disagree with the person who claims the Arcade Fire's cover wasn't a patch on the old song. It trully is something wonderful.