aberdeen-music

Best cover versions ever

Lemonade

Guest DustyDeviada
Bert Jansch 'Blues run the game'

Ah, haven't heard this, although I do have Simon & Garfunkel doing it, which is good. can't say I've heard the original though, Jackson C Frank?

Ah, haven't heard this, although I do have Simon & Garfunkel doing it, which is good. can't say I've heard the original though, Jackson C Frank?

Yes...the poor guy had a sad life (badly burnt in a fire at school, descent into drug/alcohol abuse, shot in the eye in a random drive-by shooting, early death), but wrote some great songs.

Bert Jansch also does a nifty cover of 'Carnival' by Jackson C Frank.

The Smiths, Golden Lights is not bad

Oasis, are in chaotic form with My Generation

Eh! I've always thought of that as the Smiths' worst song by some way. It reputedly played a big part in Johnny Marr leaving the band. I heard the original version by Twinkle was fantastic though.

There's an excellent soul version of Cream's Sunshine of Your Love with a female vocal (I think) - anyone know who it's by?

Guest Steven Dedalus

There's an excellent soul version of Cream's Sunshine of Your Love with a female vocal (I think) - anyone know who it's by?

That'd be "Sunshine of your love" by Spanky Wilson, if I recall correctly. Used to dj with it all the time.

ANother great cover (can't remember if it's already been done yet):

The Fall - "Victoria"

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite song at the moment, and probably of the year, is the version of Sea Song by Rachel Unthank and the Winterset, sung by Becky Unthank. Robert Wyatt says it's the best version of it he's heard too.

MySpace.com - Rachel Unthank & The Winterset - Northumberland, UK - Folk / Experimental / Roots Music - www.myspace.com/rachelunthank

The more I think about it the more i'm coming to the conclusion that the Fall are the best covers band ever....we've already said 'Mr Pharmacist' and now 'Victoria'...hows about 'There's a ghost in my house' and the brilliant 'Rollin' Dan(n)y' to be going on with????

I see your Fall and raise you to Sonic Youth's Feed the Fall Peel session.

They even did Victoria.

Oh heard Jeremy Lewis 12 Crass Songs: Punk is Dead & and Do they owe us a living are great. no really.

I see your Fall and raise you to Sonic Youth's Feed the Fall Peel session.

They even did Victoria.

Oh heard Jeremy Lewis 12 Crass Songs: Punk is Dead & and Do they owe us a living are great. no really.

Agreed the SY ones are VG!!

Haven't heard the Jeffrey Lewis ones yet (despite being in one of his videos...

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/music-discussion/41067-jeffrey-lewis-williamsburg-will-oldham-horror-video.html

would've been in it more, but I had to return home the day they filmed the subway scenes)

Del is being too kind!!!!

I like these a lot...

Spirit doing 'The times they are a changin'' & 'Like a rolling stone' on 'Spirit of 76'

Smokey Robinson 'I heard it through the grapevine'

Bert Jansch 'Blues run the game'

Interesting. I'd say Gladys Knights version of 'I heard it through the Gravevine'. Haven't heard Smokies version. 'I Fought The Law' is a good shout.

I'd have to add off top o my head

'Respect' - Aretha Franklin

Stones version of 'Stop Breaking Down'

'Stand By Me' - Lennon

• 2 weeks later...