aberdeen-music

Worst cover versions ever

Lemonade

Guest Steven Dedalus
Are you sure - I thought it was The Vanster who delivered that line. I do stand to be corrected though...

Sure, Van doesn't speak with a New Orleans accent!

He speaks with a bizarre transatlantic hybrid of Norn Irish and American.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada
Probably the same as whatever went through Bowie's warped mind when he duetted with Bing Crosby on "Little Drummer Boy" - "...ah-rumpa-pum-pum..."

A toe-curler of the highest order

Ah man, that's one of my favourite Christmas tunes, love hearing it every year!

And the "video" for it is ace too, when they're chatting about music at the start. Bing looks like a waxwork dummy mind, but the voice was still there.

Sure, Van doesn't speak with a New Orleans accent!

He speaks with a bizarre transatlantic hybrid of Norn Irish and American.

I blame his accent on him hanging out with/stalking The Band in the late 60's/early 70's...

I think Van Morrison should get involved with charity singles, he'd be great covering "Walking on Sunshine" with the cast of My Family for Children in Need.

Guest DustyDeviada
I blame his accent on him hanging out with/stalking The Band in the late 60's/early 70's...

I think Van Morrison should get involved with charity singles, he'd be great covering "Walking on Sunshine" with the cast of My Family for Children in Need.

Emma Forman and I supported Duke Special at The Tunnels a while back, and he had just been supporting Van the Person, so I asked him what he was like.

Turns out he didn't know, as Van was such a grump he didn't even speak to him.

Steve Earle says Van has worked with every musician in Ireland twice - because he fires them all then hires them again years later, forgetting he had fired them in the first place.

Inspired by the Pavarotti thread.....

Are there any covers as bad as Madonna's truly horrible version of "American Pie"?

I would like to draw your attention to Katie Melua's cover of "Lilac Wine".....

Girl Aloud's "I Think We're Alone Now" has to be up there.....

Will Young and Gareth Gates warbling version of "The Long And Winding Road".....

in fact, has there ever been a good Beatles cover?

David Bowie's weird and wonderful version of "Alabama Song" is almost unlistenable....

Lets hear your thoughts. :popcorn:

I quite like Katie Melua's cover in fact. I'd put her aside Norah Jones in her success in transforming something quite lonesome into something better. Norah Jones' "The Long Way Home" I might even prefer to the Tom Waits version from time to time.

Guest Steven Dedalus
I've just remembered Rod Stewart's plundering of Tom Waits' material to deplorable effect - 'Downtown Train' and 'Tom Traubert's Blues'.

Thankyou. I'd forgotten about that, and now you made me remember. I've just been sick with disgust.

Guest DustyDeviada
Boney M did some *ahem* interesting covers of stuff like 'Heart of Gold', 'My friend Jack' and 'Painter man' amongst others.

Bur Rivers of Babylon is magic. In fact, Steve Earle's cover of it deserves to be in the "best covers" thread.

Guest bluesxman
Thankyou. I'd forgotten about that, and now you made me remember. I've just been sick with disgust.

Glad to be of service.

I have also just remembered the Primal Scream/Kate Moss version of 'Some Velvet Morning'. Pish.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Any cover that ironically tackles a genre that is the complete opposite of the music that the artist plays, to be wacky. Such as a one man acoustic act playing a death metal song, or vice versa. I can't think of a specific example right now. The exception to this is some of the Richard Cheese stuff, because some of that shit really swings, and it's also in the category of comedy.