aberdeen-music

Worst cover versions ever

Lemonade

Inspired by the Pavarotti thread.....

Are there any covers as bad as Madonna's truly horrible version of "American Pie"?

I would like to draw your attention to Katie Melua's cover of "Lilac Wine".....

Girl Aloud's "I Think We're Alone Now" has to be up there.....

Will Young and Gareth Gates warbling version of "The Long And Winding Road".....

in fact, has there ever been a good Beatles cover?

David Bowie's weird and wonderful version of "Alabama Song" is almost unlistenable....

Lets hear your thoughts. :popcorn:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steven Dedalus

Every band that has ever attempted 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' by Joy Division has failed miserably.

Especially my old band at our first gig.

Apparently....

No, actually truthfully.

Kristen Hersh's version of Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey, Pixies' version of Wild Honey Pie, Breeders' version of Happiness is a Warm Gun, Tanya Donelly's version of Long Long Long... :p

plus Joe Cocker's With A Little Help Form My Friends

Worst

Madonna - American Pie

Robson and Jerome or any boy band's carbon copy but MOR pish versions of any song.

Oh and McFly's Baby's Coming Back...the Jellyfish song.

Guest Steven Dedalus
You haven't heard the Nouvelle Vague version then...?

Nouvelle Vague's version of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' is a hideous cocktail bar lounge version of the song that stips any meaning away from the original and replaces it with a "gosh! Weren't the 80s great!" sentiment that is neither appropriate, nor welcome.

Just like evry other song they attempted on their terrible two albums.

Nouvelle Vague's version of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' is a hideous cocktail bar lounge version of the song that stips any meaning away from the original and replaces it with a "gosh! Weren't the 80s great!" sentiment that is neither appropriate, nor welcome.

Just like evry other song they attempted on their terrible two albums.

Ooohh, I disagree profusely. Although I admit Love Will Tear Us Apart is not their greatest moment, it is a good cover. The highlights for me however are the versions of Too Drunk To Fuck by the Dead Kennedys and I Melt With You by Modern English.

I think they are great. I completely agree that all wacky 80's nostalgia deserved to be burned to the ground, but Nouvelle Vague's covers have never been in that vein, most of the performers as I understand have never even heard the original versions of the songs, which makes it all the more interesting to see what they come out with.

Guest bluesxman

Any dancified version of something.

Madonna ~ American Pie. But then I hate the original so it was never going to go down well.

Willard Grant Conspiracy ~ Ballad Of A Thin Man. One of my favourite Dylan songs performed by a great band, but it just doesnt work, big disappointment.

just those horrible, carbon copy, lifeless, soul-less kareoke covers as encouraged by the likes of simon cowell on his tv shows.

of all them steve 'i look a bit fred west' brookstein's version of phil 'the cunt' collins 'against all odds' is up there with the worst of them.