aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
framheim

Cameron to bring back National Service

Erm...it's not national military service. There will be an option to train with the army, but most of the people taking up this voluntary scheme will be working for businesses or charities to improve their social and workplace skills.

I can see all these "delinquent" 16 year olds queuing up to do this...

I can see all these "delinquent" 16 year olds queuing up to do this...

...and miss the chance to hold a real sidearm in that cheesy and ballistically useless gangsta manner?

Still, they probably get more exposure to guns on the streets anyway.

...and miss the chance to hold a real sidearm in that cheesy and ballistically useless gangsta manner?

Well if they want to do that then they would join the army.

Guest Steven Dedalus

Let me be the first to say, "Killing is my Business, and business is good."

God, I feel like a prick.

joining the hitler youth was voluntary at first and had the same goals as this scheme. obviously i'm not suggesting david cameron is anything like hitler but it's a funny wording he's using about it being national citizen service and bringing back pride in their country

anyway, the guardian has edited the initial story into two seperate ones so here's a more relevant link to the national service bit:

Cameron unveils national service plan for 16-year-olds | Special Reports | Guardian Unlimited Politics

i can see what they're trying to do but i really think they've shot themselves in the foot before it's even begun by calling it national citizen service as it is a bit too close to national service. also there's no point banging on about it being voluntary dave and then talking about courts ordering people to do it. although i guess they voluntarily did they crime so that might amount to volunteering for national service right?

also if it's the same as duke of edinburgh then it's entirely pointless. if we've already got a perfectly good scheme in place for young people to get out and about and get new experiences then why do we need a new one? from what i can tell though it's not like duke of edinburgh which is more about hiking and outdoor pursuits rather than military training and helping old people.

although there are other options apart from the military ones do you really think that any kids are going to volunteer to give up their summer holidays to do old peoples shopping when they could be training with the army and playing with big guns? cameron did well to begin with but he's dangerously close to slipping into tory of old and being out of touch with the kids.

He's trying to become the Prime Minister of the whole country, not just pander to a single demographic.

Exactly, he's trying to pander to as many demographics as he can. This just sounds like another scheme that he thinks people want to hear. In this case he wants it sound like National Service to please the 'old guard', whilst softening it up for the more liberal members by saying it will actually help the elderly, the third world etc.

This policy is going to down very well in parts of society that have been seriously damaged by youth crime...

It'll go down well alright, but it will do absolutely no good whatsoever. If it's voluntary, then it will be similar to the Duke of Edinburgh award. And who does the DoE? The good kids. The Head Boys, the scout leaders, the Oxbridge prospectives etc. How many trainee drug runners in Torry are going to hold off on robbing their neighbours house so they can volunteer with the elderly? None. If Cameron wants to set up a scheme to do that, it's going to have to be compulsory. But he's too chicken to go that far.

It's bollocks.

I must be getting old, but there is no solution out there for any of our so called Youth Problems, however, castration seen like a good idea to me, Young People as in 12-25yrs just annoy me, sorry

I must be getting old, but there is no solution out there for any of our so called Youth Problems, however, castration seen like a good idea to me, Young People as in 12-25yrs just annoy me, sorry

I am 26 but I must admit I was a right annoying cunt until my last birthday, almost cut my own balls off, glad I didn't now.

Idiots are breeding more than any other group of people. That is the fundamental problem in this country. If you don't think you're an idiot - have kids for the sake of the nation.

I am 26 but I must admit I was a right annoying cunt until my last birthday, almost cut my own balls off, glad I didn't now.

Hehehe. I'm twenty and I've got a knife ready just now. How can I make it through the next five years?

Cameron hits back at Tory 'blasts from the past' | Special Reports | Guardian Unlimited Politics

oh dear god. what next? hanging? the cane?

i don't think training the nation's youth how to aim a gun and hit people harder for 6 weeks is going to reduce violent crime.

Yes, it seems odd but when you think about it, taking all that away has made kids unruly and violent to the point where some percentage of the nation don't want to go outside at night now. It's not just old people either which makes things more disturbing.

Something certainly needs to be done to deal with the current level of unruly kids.