aberdeen-music

Nirvana - Over rated?

ZeromiserY

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are over-rated because the practice of elevating people to super-human status on the basis of music is stupid and representative of our society's tendency to find meaning by clinging onto celebrities, sob-stories and the kind of rags-to-riches fame everyone believes they can emulate.

yer afffy deep.

bet you think still game is social commentry as opposed to a funny tv show or summat. can i borrow your notes?

I'm going to ignore your opinion however as you speak ill of Metallica, a band I adore :up:

Come on, only their first albums were actually 'not bad' , The rest is terrible country rock :popcorn:

Annihilator! That's a good thrash band :popcorn:

Alison helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll o_O

getting back to the question at hand...when you consider the fact that kurt cobain still gets into the top ten guitarists (OF ALL TIME!!!), over-rated does come to mind...there's 12 year olds playing better in guitar shops...and im not taking the piss.

Kurt Cobain was the reason that I learned to play guitar, because I found out I could actually play the songs. Suddenly, playing the guitar wasn't something only god like musician cunts could do. The genius of alot of Nirvana songs is that they are so simple, yet Cobain managed to write really catchy, non-cliched song using the simplest 3 power chords or similar.

...Those top ten guitarists lists are full of muso wanks anyway. Give me Thurston Moore over Steve Vai any day of the week. :p

Kurt Cobain was the reason that I learned to play guitar, because I found out I could actually play the songs. Suddenly, playing the guitar wasn't something only god like musician cunts could do. The genius of alot of Nirvana songs is that they are so simple, yet Cobain managed to write really catchy, non-cliched song using the simplest 3 power chords or similar.

...Those top ten guitarists lists are full of muso wanks anyway. Give me Thurston Moore over Steve Vai any day of the week. :p

and even vai worshipping (wannabe) muso wanks like myself had to start somewhere. i started out playing teen spirit as well as stuff like blitzkrieg bop and teenage kicks. tons of technical guitarists have said they started out playing ramones songs or whatever and thats what made it seem possible in the first place.

There's being good at your instrument, then there's just being a wanky cunt.

Stev Vai falls into the latter.

Absolutely!

I watched a Joe Satriani "Surfing With The Alien" tutorial vidjoe on YouTube yesterday and he was talking wanky-boy bollocks!

"Yeah man, I'm in B-minor here, so I threw in a Phyrigan scale in F-minor, changed to Dominant Lydian, then....."

I'm like, "Spikk English Joe min, afore ah come in there with ma virtual claw hammer and smash yer fucking baldy heid wide open and feed on what flows forth...."

Pretentious hairless cunt.

...but Nirvana, never my cup of Earl Grey, but it's fair point that he inspired a generation of ham-fisted, burger-munching spotties to pick up the beautiful instrument and not worry about all that technoflash bobbins.

God I hate being in Angola - it's making me all testy and irritable...back to my old easy-going self next week.

Nothing compares to the masterclass of songwriting that is the Macc Lads anyway. Sweaty Betty, He's A Poof and Julie The Schooly transcend mortal musicianship and have an unearthly spiritual quality.

Do quite like Nirvana though and I also am partial to a bit of Def Leppard, been to a few good live Leppard shows over the decades. As for Metallica, I think the Macc Lads could write a good song about the nobbins that James, Lars and Kirk turned into, boo hoo I'm upset, get me a shrink. Kill 'Em All to And Justice For All were the bollocks though and the black album was pretty decent to. I didn't mind Load and Reload in seclusion but as part of Metallica's discography they were a bit "different". St Anger was just pish (technical assessment there).

Isn't that in the Fly magazine? In the Aberdeen section? Written by someone in Aberdeen?

according to the print in the magazine it is written/printed etc in london.

so in short. no

"The Fly is published by Channelfly Enterprises Limited

Registered in England number 3510149

Registered office:

Zeppelin Building

59-61 Farringdon Road

London

EC1M 3JB"

(from : THE FLY - online)

fags right, lighter checked.

according to the print in the magazine it is written/printed etc in london.

so in short. no

"The Fly is published by Channelfly Enterprises Limited

Registered in England number 3510149

Registered office:

Zeppelin Building

59-61 Farringdon Road

London

EC1M 3JB"

(from : THE FLY - online)

fags right, lighter checked.

It's obviously not all written in London, and your quote doesn't mention anything about it either, so I've no idea why you're using it.

As far as I was - and still am - aware, the various localised sections (not Londonised as you seem to be clinging onto) are written by people in said area - and again, as far as I'm aware, that section was/is written by a guy called Kirk. So basically, the internet/myspace was pretty irrelevant to your review really, being that whoever wrote it would have more than likely have heard about you in some way or another, being that we're talking about Aberdeen here.

It's obviously not all written in London, and your quote doesn't mention anything about it either, so I've no idea why you're using it.

As far as I was - and still am - aware, the various localised sections (not Londonised as you seem to be clinging onto) are written by people in said area - and again, as far as I'm aware, that section was/is written by a guy called Kirk. So basically, the internet/myspace was pretty irrelevant to your review really, being that whoever wrote it would have more than likely have heard about you in some way or another, being that we're talking about Aberdeen here.

either way, i dont give a stinky shit.

i dont play for people to read about it

edit. nirvana suck hairy balls