aberdeen-music

Keyboard Player looking to join band

HairyScaryMark

I am a 20 year old keyboard player.

I like a variety of styles of music and try to keep an open mind but my favourites are:-

metal (particularly when keyboard players are involved), such as Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Yngwie Malmsteen, Korpiklaani, Iron Maiden etc.

I also like progressive rock such as Yes, ELP, Kansas, Greenslade, King Crimson, Dream Theater, Symphony X (also fit in above category),

Another thing which particualrly nterests me is Jazz Fusion, particualrly the likes of Weather Report, Return to Forever, Chick Corea, Mike Stern, Frank Gambale

I have formal music training to a fairly high level. Recieved piano lessons since I was 6 and guitar lessons since i was 15. I have graded exams for gutiar and music theory. Also studied music at college for 2 years (currently doing a teaching diploma)

keyboards are only my second instrument but a lot of people seem to enjoy listening to my keyboard playing more than guitar.

There is also less of a supply of keyboard players.

I have pro gear and own rehearsal space if required.

I don't have transport.

I also think I am fairly easy going and have suitable image for music listed above.

I would prefer if other people in band were 18+ but it is not strictly necessary. Just been contacted by some immature people before. Reliable people only also (had far too many practices where people haven't turned up and/or disappeared off the face of planet).

Also, if you are looking for a guitar player, feel free to contact me also.

if you cant find a complete band, i'd be interested in starting a jazz/fusion project of some sort. i share a couple of influences there, frank gambale, mike stern to an extent... i've been looking at starting a bluesier fusion band (e.g scott henderson), but something like chick corea or even angular holdsworth-esque stuff would be cool with me (think i can manage it....) if you prefer that.

might be up for some vaguely prog/metal antics as well... my rock influences don't match up quite as well with the bands you listed but it would be fun to try some stuff out.

anyway if your holding out to join a complete band thats cool otherwise send me a pm

Cranial?

hey we @ Cranial could be interested in adding a keyboard player, would have to have a jam or sumthin first to see whether it would work. if you have a listen to some of our stuff @ MySpace.com - Cranial - Aberdeen, UK - Death Metal / Progressive - www.myspace.com/cranialdeath and see whether you have any ideas of where keyboard would fit and then let us know if your interested.

cheers

I'm not into death metal as much. There are some growling metal bands I like that also have keyboard players, such as Kalmah, Finntroll and a little bit of black metal but it is more like a casual interest for me. I could possibly jam some time though. Favourite death metal bands for me would probably be Opeth and Amon Amarth.

Scott ST, maybe get something like that on the go. A drummer friend of mine hassled me on the nightbus about how much he wanted to play blues and fusion so I maybe could get him along also. Another bass player guy also spoke to me that night in a drunken state, claiming Stanley Clarke is the man (i detect a complete potential lineup).

Also, just becuase I haven't mentioned a band or artist, doesn't mean I don't like them.

• 3 weeks later...

I appear to have 2 complete line-ups for jazz/funk/fusion type bands.

One is likely more rock/funk than the other.

Other is probably more fusion.

Some possible pieces to play include

Birdland by Weather Report

Pick Up The Pieces by Average White Band

So What by Miles Davis

Also maybe do a few more jazz standards in a funky style

For the more rock one, I wondered about Lovely Day by Bill Withers if we got someone in the band to sing ocasionally.

These are just ideas though and I am sure other people will have suggestions.

I have been contacted by a few other bands and may jam and/or meet up with them at some point.

I am still interested in playing guitar and/or keyboards in a classic rock or metal band or somekind.

I'm a guitarist, but I can do bass also.

I'd be interested in a bit of fusion. My influences run pretty wide- metal (Opeth, Pantera, Sepultura), Jazz fusion/indo jazz fusion (Miles Davis, Coltrane, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Shakti, Jonas Hellborg Trio), prog (Yes, King Crimson, Camel, Pink Floyd, Procupine Tree), electronic (Eno, Autechre, Tangerine Dream), Impressionist (Debussy, Ravel).

Would be interested in setting up some sort of trio or quartet, and would be willing to compose.

All i'm saying is, we need some sort of fusion band in this area...

Hi Mark,

Im after someone who can play keys/piano for my solo stuff (because Im crap with keys). Would be an on/off affair giving you flexibility to persue other projects i.e. recording only stuff.

Im looking at writing some ambient/jazzy/em..strange/experimental stuff.

Could be something for a live setting if it is to your liking. Im easy.

Hi, Kris Elliott. I am involved with a few bands at the moment, 1 of which is a party/wedding/function band. In its early stages but all we need is a keyboard player, who is willing to play cover songs, some cheese of course, but a wide range of songs.

We have been asked to perform a short set at the Lemon tree for a fundraiser for Give Kids A chance and, again, just need a keyboard player to complete the line up. Even if you could play that gig, we just really need a keys player no matter what and you sound mature, know wot it's like having timewasters n all that!!!!!!!

Give me a shout back if your interested, again even just to play at this Lemon Tree gig!!!!!

It'll be bout 5 songs and its on 22nd and 23rd October!!!

Cheers, hope to hear....well, very soon!!!

Hey, cheers for getting back.

The songs we are doing are:

- I'm so excited - pointer sisters

- proud mary - Tina Turner

-Mustang Sally(I know!!!)

There may be 1 or 2 more but we havent decided 100% on them so liable to change. Like i said the gig is quite soon and we all find it hard to meet, at the moment, more than once or twice a week due to work and what not. If we could arrange a time would you be willing to sit in a rehearsal? How quickly could you learn 3-5 songs - sorry, dont mean to pressure, just with the short notice!!!

Now I know Mustang Sally is there, but if you could do this gig, even though you might really hate those songs, its still a wee gig at the Lemon Tree, and who knows, something good might come of it. Anyway, geez a shout back and let me know wot u think.

Cheers, Kris

p.s. here's my E-mail: krisfoof1@hotmail.co.uk

yes i need a keyboard player

hey mark man its guy here from souls of the sinister member me we always used to talk on msn n shit, well yeah am needin a keyboard player that can shred like fuck and rip out fuckin mental arepgios to harmonise/solo battle with me. the style that i am writing in write now is neo classical/black metal/melodic death if u wna hear the material im writing i cud send u sum shit ive written on guitar pro 5 but be warned its fuckin craaaazy shit. lol ok man if ur intrested pm me or reply or what ever jus get in contact even if ur not intrested jus so i no if ud be up for it.

cheers dude. peace out

Guy