aberdeen-music

Volume Boost Pedals

BarelakedNadies

Hi all.

I'm looking for a volume boost pedal. I got a Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer today, and although it sounds absolutely amazing in my setup, it doesn't really boost the sound.

It's basically something for solos that i'm looking at. I'm not really interested in adding more gain or tone (although i know a volume pedal will no doubt end up doing that anyway). It's just something that'll boost what i already have.

I used a Keeley Katana for a while and it was exactly what I was needing but it wasn't mine and i've had to return it. I've been looking at the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster and i'm wandering if it does pretty much the same thing. Anyone had any experiences with it? I should also add that i haven't got another Katana because i have store credit in R&B that i'd like to use (and they don't seem to have a Katana) and i'm also looking for something to use tomorow (Friday) night. They've got the Seymour Duncan in there though (at least, i think I saw it today) but i'd rather not see how much it can boost in-store 'cause I prefer only being noisy if everyone else is doing it to.

Likewise, if anyone's got any other volume boost pedals they can suggest, i'm all ears.

If you want to boost the signal to overdrive the amp ant lower volume, just turn the LEVEL knob to max (10/10) and leave the tone and drive at 0 so it will stay the same almost.. .

You can do that with almost any pedal, most common are probably Boss DS1 or SD1, Dod 250(or YJMmodel) obviously and many more.

If you do not want to add even a little more drive to your solo, then there's no other way than just buying a volume pedal. Which would still have some influence on the drive. (if you have valve amp)

Yeah. Someone suggested an EQ pedal to me. But i've never really used one so i'm just wondering if the Volume level on the pedal would be enough to boost it over everyone else in the band.

I was originally looking for a stomp box style volume pedal. I'm a bit nervous about the Wah styled volume pedals (i dunno the proper name for them) because surely i'd have to start with it set on a mid point for my regular sound and then once i've stepped on it for the solo, i won't be able to get it backto the original point which'll make the levels messed up. Maybe i'm reading too much into that.

As for the MXR Micro Amp. I've heard good things to. And was looking for a demo/video style review online but can't seem to find one.

what about an eq pedal like the boss one? i've used one as a boost pedal and prefered it to using an overdrive pedal to boost my sound.

That would be my bet as well. The problem with the TS is that if you already have your amp dialled in for a gain sound, then it will just 'fatten' out the sound once you hit the TS rather than give you a good solo boost. Try using the TS to boost your clean sound...it will probably give you a great boost in sound. Bu t as I say, if you do the same to the over driven sound then it work the same. you could try using the TS as a 'cut' instead of a boost by turning down the vol on the pedal (leave the amp sound quite high), and leave it on for your normal sound, then when you want a louder lead sound switch off the TS letting the full guitar signal get through to the amp, and hey presto load guitar.

This is maybe not ideal but is realistic achievable in the near future.....

If you get a volume pedal you usually will get a control at the side which is the 'minimum' volume level for when the pedal is set down.

Plug this through your effects loop as to get after your pre amp. Make the difference relatively subtle and you have a volume boost pedal.

Elsewhere in signal chain would cause your pre amp valves to overdrive further. This is probably your best option.

so signal path will be as follows

guitar>tube screamer>amp>volume pedal(or other signal 'booster')>power amp stage>speaker

EQ pedal of some kind might be worth investigating but it depends what your guitar sounds like 'normally' and if you end up with that many pedals you might be better off with a rack system or an amp with more features.

Hmm. Well currently i've got the following.

Line 6 III Flextone 75 Watt.

'72 Telecaster

Lite Ash Telecaster

I've got a boss pedal board and at the moment all i'm using is:

Tuning Pedal -> Boss Distortion (DS1 i think - orange anyway) -> Turbo Tube Screamer

I've usually got my amp on a clean sound and the Distortion pedal does what it says on the tin. I use both sounds in a gig. I only got the tube screamer today. It sounded pretty good when i had it and the distortion pedal on at the same time. It'd be good sound for solos, it just doesn't boost the sound. So if i could just put on the screamer and whatever volume pedal i end up with when i need to solo.

It feels like i'm making a big deal out of this when all i want is more volume. I just don't know what pedal to get.

Both the MXR and Seymour Duncan look like they add more gain...which is not what i'm looking for. I'm just needing to boost the signal i already have adding as little gain as possible. I feel like i'm being retarded not knowing what to do. Am I?

Have you considered just using the volume knob on your guitar?

personally i think when u dont have the guitar volume at full the tone is affected, i dont mind turning down he volume to clean up the sound in some instances, but having it at say "8" on the guitar for plying with the band then turning it up to "10" it would'nt sound good, plus doing this would be more awkward than just hitting something with your foot

Hi all.

I'm looking for a volume boost pedal. I got a Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer today, and although it sounds absolutely amazing in my setup, it doesn't really boost the sound.

It's basically something for solos that i'm looking at. I'm not really interested in adding more gain or tone (although i know a volume pedal will no doubt end up doing that anyway). It's just something that'll boost what i already have.

I used a Keeley Katana for a while and it was exactly what I was needing but it wasn't mine and i've had to return it. I've been looking at the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster and i'm wandering if it does pretty much the same thing. Anyone had any experiences with it? I should also add that i haven't got another Katana because i have store credit in R&B that i'd like to use (and they don't seem to have a Katana) and i'm also looking for something to use tomorow (Friday) night. They've got the Seymour Duncan in there though (at least, i think I saw it today) but i'd rather not see how much it can boost in-store 'cause I prefer only being noisy if everyone else is doing it to.

Likewise, if anyone's got any other volume boost pedals they can suggest, i'm all ears.

You said in the shop that the Tubescreamer was exactly what you were after!

:swearing:

:laughing: just kidding! :D (well, not about you saying that :)).

As I said, the Boss GE-7 (EQ) is good for using as a boost. Because of all the frequency parameters being adjustable, you can fine tune your sound to give a little more cut without adding more gain as you don't want that.

If you talk to R&B they might be able to get the Keeley (James?)

If not I would suggest an EQ pedal' date=' the Boss one will do the trick, the MXR one will sound better.[/quote']

I'm not sure how we are regarding getting hold of the Keeley stuff. I'll look into it over the weekend and find out if we can get them, price etc. :up:

Correct about the MXR - I have one and it's great! Just keep the levels flat for all the EQ bands and use the volume at the side to boost. It has separate volume and gain sliders aswell as the 10 EQ bands. Very highly recommended. Of course more expensive than the Boss equivalent, but I feel it is justified.

Thread starter - feel free to PM me if you need a hand with anything :up:

i second just using the volume on the guitar. i disagree that it negatively affects the tone... i would think adding more pedals to your rig would have more of an effect in that respect

Not true in the sense that turning down the volume on the guitar greatly reduces the gain and body of the sound.

Remember that if playing with a heavy(ish) distorted sound and not requiring a gain increase when 'boosting', turning the volume UP on the guitar to do so will increase the gain which is exactly what the threadstarter doesn't want.

i second just using the volume on the guitar. i disagree that it negatively affects the tone... i would think adding more pedals to your rig would have more of an effect in that respect

it affects the tone when youre playing with overdrive and its noticeable. Different story with clean channel

Not true in the sense that turning down the volume on the guitar greatly reduces the gain and body of the sound.

Remember that if playing with a heavy(ish) distorted sound and not requiring a gain increase when 'boosting', turning the volume UP on the guitar to do so will increase the gain which is exactly what the threadstarter doesn't want.

yeah i know that. i should have put that i think adding a bit of gain for solos is fine and would be my preference to getting a pedal just to boost it a bit. i know the op said hes not necessarily after more gain, but i think he said it would be acceptable... i was just agreeing with jan deal who suggested he try it out. also in my opinion turning down the volume only greatly reduces gain and 'body' if you turn it way down... and of course the idea is you have the volume on the guitar rolled back slighly most of the time (for your 'ordinary' distorted sound) then turn it up for solos.