aberdeen-music

Best Place to Record in Aberdeen (shire)

kingofdeon

Probably been a topic gone over a hundred times but i havent seen it and am just looking for some thoughts on where the best place to record a new EP/Demo is. We Recorded at Exile Studio last time which wasn't bad but we're willing to pay a fair amount this time and was just looking for some advise.

Cheers

Steve

Guest Steven Dedalus

It was a long time ago, but the single Dedalus recorded at Exile was an absolute dream. We went in at about 7.00pm, were out by 10.00pm, and we played everything live. Mark was constructive with his feedback, telling us to slow down, etc, and because I'd spoken to him at length beforehand, he was completely aware of what we wnated to do.

Unlike other people I've recorded with, he understood that we were going for the 'feel' rather than a note perfect thing, he was completely familiar with where we were coming from, and it was great to be able to just say, "Make it sound like "The Scream"" and for the producer to know exactly what I was talking about.

He recorded the vocals seperately, and once again was very constructive and intuitive with the whole process, and just seemed comitted to helping us make the best record we could do. When it came to mixing, he put a lot of work into it, and involved us at every step of the process, so that the finished product was exactly what we wanted.

Without wishing to sound like a press release for how great Mark was, he helped us have the confidence to make that record, and I'm certain that if we'd recorded it elsewhere, it just wouldn't have come out as good. He seemed really into it, and that helped the whole process more than I can describe. To know that the guy who's recording you is as into it as you are is a massive boost.

Also, he was well chuffed with the finished product, and did a bit to push us out to record labels, and if I am correct, it was him who alerted Parlophone records about us. They then gave me a call about doing somehting, but I wouldn't speak to them cos I was too committed to my indie ethics.

Which was possibly not the right move.

But, back to the topic. I don't know what Mark's set-up is now, but I can't reccoment him highly enough.

STEVEN DEDALUS' TIPS FOR THE TOP:

1. Find someone who understands what you're trying to do.

2. Find someone who is into what you are trying to do.

3. Find someone who knows what they're doing.

4. Find someone who regards your recording as more than just another job.

5. Find someone who will work with you, rather than 'for' you.

It was a long time ago, but the single Dedalus recorded at Exile was an absolute dream. We went in at about 7.00pm, were out by 10.00pm, and we played everything live. Mark was constructive with his feedback, telling us to slow down, etc, and because I'd spoken to him at length beforehand, he was completely aware of what we wnated to do.

Unlike other people I've recorded with, he understood that we were going for the 'feel' rather than a note perfect thing, he was completely familiar with where we were coming from, and it was great to be able to just say, "Make it sound like "The Scream"" and for the producer to know exactly what I was talking about.

He recorded the vocals seperately, and once again was very constructive and intuitive with the whole process, and just seemed comitted to helping us make the best record we could do. When it came to mixing, he put a lot of work into it, and involved us at every step of the process, so that the finished product was exactly what we wanted.

Without wishing to sound like a press release for how great Mark was, he helped us have the confidence to make that record, and I'm certain that if we'd recorded it elsewhere, it just wouldn't have come out as good. He seemed really into it, and that helped the whole process more than I can describe. To know that the guy who's recording you is as into it as you are is a massive boost.

Also, he was well chuffed with the finished product, and did a bit to push us out to record labels, and if I am correct, it was him who alerted Parlophone records about us. They then gave me a call about doing somehting, but I wouldn't speak to them cos I was too committed to my indie ethics.

Which was possibly not the right move.

But, back to the topic. I don't know what Mark's set-up is now, but I can't reccoment him highly enough.

STEVEN DEDALUS' TIPS FOR THE TOP:

1. Find someone who understands what you're trying to do.

2. Find someone who is into what you are trying to do.

3. Find someone who knows what they're doing.

4. Find someone who regards your recording as more than just another job.

5. Find someone who will work with you, rather than 'for' you.

true story, though the most important you need to know before you record with anyone at all is exactly what you want. if you go in unprepared then it's going to sound shit no matter who produces it. don't try and record everything you can play in one go, pick 2 or 3 at most and concentrate on getting those spot on before you go in.

exile has now moved to a fully residential site near banchory and is still producing good results. we are planning to record there shortly.

Guest Steven Dedalus
true story, though the most important you need to know before you record with anyone at all is exactly what you want. if you go in unprepared then it's going to sound shit no matter who produces it. don't try and record everything you can play in one go, pick 2 or 3 at most and concentrate on getting those spot on before you go in.

exile has now moved to a fully residential site near banchory and is still producing good results. we are planning to record there shortly.

What Dave said.

I really can't stress how important it is to cherry pick your material. It's far better to have three cracking songs than about ten badly recorded, mediocre ones. Confidence is the key here.

Our first recording was in Captain Toms, back when we first started (before our first gig, if I remember correctly), and we just didn't know what we were doing. We spent the same amount of time as we did in Exile, but we came out with about five or six really badly recorded tunes that sounded nothing like us. It was weak, badly played, and sounded rubbish.

This was nothing to do wityh Captian Tom's, I should add, it was just that we had no idea what we were doing.