aberdeen-music

Live Moorings Tracks No Soucis

FatHand

Shit Can The Frog

Right off let me declare an interest here. Colin ( RockAusten ) played tenor sax in my band for a number of years prior to its shut down and therefore we are well aquainted.

He knows me as a straight ahead sort who will give anything a fair listen and a good old honest personal opinion.

I remember when I got handed a demo CD of his other band Ghost of Bongo some time ago and I honestly thought it was decent in recording, songs and playing. Bass player a bit slap happy, and drums a bit immature but given time I felt the band would mature into a decent unit.

Now I have been on the No Soucis website and quite frankly I thought the Youtube stuff was dreadful and should be pulled. Then listened to the EP sound tracks and thought they were better and tighter. Mind you I know this is a live recording off the desk but the bleeding drums sound dreadful. HipHop has to drive and relies on the bass drum, snare and hihat work with simple bass lines to give it the turbo charged V8 throb. Snare sounds like a friggin kleenex tissue and is not rasping.Also shit can the frog on vocals and get someone who knows what rap is all about.

HipHop has to be tight as a gnats arse in the backline and this comes with plenty of practise and decent players. I think the players are there, they just need to gell and work harder. I would suggest keep at it and given time it will click.

Dig out some old John Cooper Clarke stuff and see how it was done in the 70s before it got all drop pants and cool !

What do I know.........jack shit about recording but I know how things should sound and this is not right.

My qualifications.......from Teesside, still am, but good old Aberdeen oil business puts the bread on the table. Decades of playing, zillions of bands, mates and fellow musos include, Coverdale, Rea, Moody , Rogers. Been on stage with everyone from Cocker to Traffic, Shadows to Lulu, Gallagher to Free and Frampton to bleeding Gerry Marsden ( did a stint as resident bass player in Titos nightclub. He was an arse )

So Colin, dont give up the day job, enjoy your project, practise like hell and for goodness sake drop the frog........

End

Guest bluesxman
Right off let me declare an interest here. Colin ( RockAusten ) played tenor sax in my band for a number of years prior to its shut down and therefore we are well aquainted.

He knows me as a straight ahead sort who will give anything a fair listen and a good old honest personal opinion.

I remember when I got handed a demo CD of his other band Ghost of Bongo some time ago and I honestly thought it was decent in recording, songs and playing. Bass player a bit slap happy, and drums a bit immature but given time I felt the band would mature into a decent unit.

Now I have been on the No Soucis website and quite frankly I thought the Youtube stuff was dreadful and should be pulled. Then listened to the EP sound tracks and thought they were better and tighter. Mind you I know this is a live recording off the desk but the bleeding drums sound dreadful. HipHop has to drive and relies on the bass drum, snare and hihat work with simple bass lines to give it the turbo charged V8 throb. Snare sounds like a friggin kleenex tissue and is not rasping.Also shit can the frog on vocals and get someone who knows what rap is all about.

HipHop has to be tight as a gnats arse in the backline and this comes with plenty of practise and decent players. I think the players are there, they just need to gell and work harder. I would suggest keep at it and given time it will click.

Dig out some old John Cooper Clarke stuff and see how it was done in the 70s before it got all drop pants and cool !

What do I know.........jack shit about recording but I know how things should sound and this is not right.

My qualifications.......from Teesside, still am, but good old Aberdeen oil business puts the bread on the table. Decades of playing, zillions of bands, mates and fellow musos include, Coverdale, Rea, Moody , Rogers. Been on stage with everyone from Cocker to Traffic, Shadows to Lulu, Gallagher to Free and Frampton to bleeding Gerry Marsden ( did a stint as resident bass player in Titos nightclub. He was an arse )

So Colin, dont give up the day job, enjoy your project, practise like hell and for goodness sake drop the frog........

End

So you have played with several shit acts and are from England, how does that qualify you to be so judgemental?

Mind you I know this is a live recording off the desk but the bleeding drums sound dreadful. HipHop has to drive and relies on the bass drum, snare and hihat work with simple bass lines to give it the turbo charged V8 throb. Snare sounds like a friggin kleenex tissue and is not rasping.

Couple of questions for you:

Were you listening to the streaming download on-line or the actual CD?

What were you listening to it on?

I could level those same criticisms about ANY streaming MP3 that I listen to on my computer... and a decent HiFI will show up an MP3 even more. Anyone who claims that an MP3 is indiscernible from full CD audio needs to try these:

LeftImage_thumb.jpg

PS - My offer still stands to anyone who would like to experience back to back comparison of CD audio and MP3 on the same system.

Crap Sandwiches

Hello I,m back......

So you have played with several shit acts and are from England, how does that qualify you to be so judgemental?

Well Bluesxman the several shit acts and I guess you accept several shit hot acts, put me all over the UK and Europe so I guess you can say that the qualification is experience and lots of it. Further as the original thread invited comments, I gave a personal opinion.

This summerised into keep going and get tighter and lose the MC as far as the band was concerned, and tweak the drum sound on the recording................hardly judgemental wouldnt you agree ??

Come on, he's been on stage with Lulu!!

Youre absolutely correct Mr Jan Deal and when youre young and broke nowt wrong with prostituting ya bass playing services. The gig fee kept me in booze, fags and women for frigging ages, oh and the other session musos were the dogs danglies. Great exposure and its great on the CV.

Were you listening to the streaming download on-line or the actual CD?

What were you listening to it on?

Fair question Flash, and I have to say it was on my PC thru Nexo PS8,s,driven by a Crown amp and a Allen and Heath desk.........minor set up in the flat !! The sound source was a streaming download and not the CD. Accepted that such a source is not good so I may be clouded. I do like a rasping snare mind you.

Guilty as charged.

Thanks

Guest Tam o' Shantie

first of all, it's not really hip hop, is it? it's just rap. the two are not the same thing.

oh and can someone explain how Trannyvan being from england is at all relevent to his opinion? racism is not fucking tolerated on this site so fuck off with your cuntish attitude.

oh and can someone explain how Trannyvan being from england is at all relevent to his opinion?

I want to know why someone's musical background and experience is relevent to their opinion? You shouldn't have to give your life story every time you say if you like something or not. Just don't be arsey when you say it.

first of all, it's not really hip hop, is it? it's just rap. the two are not the same thing.

oh and can someone explain how Trannyvan being from england is at all relevent to his opinion? racism is not fucking tolerated on this site so fuck off with your cuntish attitude.

maybe they took exeption to 'shit can the frog'

I think bluesxman was more referring to the fact that by saying

"My qualifications.......from Teesside..." Trannyvan is implying that his place of origin is a factor in his ability to judge the band/recording...

Guest bluesxman
I think bluesxman was more referring to the fact that by saying

"My qualifications.......from Teesside..." Trannyvan is implying that his place of origin is a factor in his ability to judge the band/recording...

Thank you Richard, nice to see someone on this site can see things with some sort of perspective rather than instantly shout 'racist' for an slur which didn't actually take place...

Guest Tam o' Shantie

aren't we a bunch of fuckwits then. the other guy's no better, the music is really bad though. 'frog' or not, the MC is awful. The music is so white that i played it to my dad and was like "turn off that dad music, son"

Yeah Mike, wasn't really planning on quitting the day job ;) Just having some fun writing music with my mates, one of whom is a French man. The fact that he no longer lives in the country does challenge the amount of writing we can do so it is entirely likely that these are the only recordings we'll have. I'm happy with them regardless and had fun creating them.

Cheers for the feedback and entertaining debate.