aberdeen-music

Amiga emulators

Guest Steven Dedalus

Guest Steven Dedalus

i forgot how naff some of those games were....but I still love them.

I remember playing FA/18 Interceptor (I got the Bat-pack in 1989), and my whole family were like, "Wow....it's like actually being in the cockpit!"

Whereas now, I was playing Doom 3 a couple of weeks ago in the dark with headphones on, and nearly wet myself with fear at one point.

The more things change....

Anyone still got a few old issues of Amiga Power? Some of the stuff in it is still good for a yak now.....

No amiga power (i had a spectrum then bought a pc rather than an amiga) but I found this in the loft a while ago

SU3.jpg

the good old days when a mouse was only 50 quid!

SU1.jpg

...and computer mags were full of 0898 competition ads

SU2.jpg

Guest Steven Dedalus

I never had a Spectrum, but I always loved reading my friend's copies of Your Sinclair and Sinclair User. The writing was generally quite sharp, and I suppose in some small way that always made me think it would be cool to be a journalist (when, in fact, almost the exact opposite is true).

They were curious magazines in that they obviously had an appeal to children, but they sort of aimed themselves at people in their 20s as well, turning any 11 year old reading it into some kind of smart-alecky nerd, who had ideas above their station and thought they knew it all. Well, it did for me, anyway... I suppose if one takes the analogy to it's logical conclusion, early 1990s music mags had that anarchic spirit and sense of humour that eventually led to the 'Lads' Mags' boom of the late 90s.

Only with less tits, obviously.