aberdeen-music

Wizard Festival, New Deer

Stichman

Just wondering if anyone went? We (Headlight) played a pishy acoustic set which gave us access to the whole weekend, Huuusaaahh!

My highlight was the Bluetones on the Friday night. Otherwise, I thought the more local acts were the best - I was really impressed by Amy Sawers who I hadn't heard before. The Little Kicks were their usual slick selves.

Bombskare were absolutely brilliant - I hearthey're playing Aberdeen in November sometime? Count me in.

A fantastic weekend all round.

wizard fest

yeah,.. myself and several other friends went and we had a ball. the festival site was compact and every thing was easily accesible. i didnt queue once. the toilets were always clean and fresh. the bar well manned as were all the stalls. the tents had really good sound and were never so packed that you couldnt get in or get a good view. the only downside i would say was the fact there was only the porridge stand to feed the campsite in the morning and i heard a few complaints about that. seeing that there were local business's involved it would have been brilliant to see a local butcher or baker coming on site each morning with fresh filled hot rolls or something similar. hardly the end of the world tho and certainly not a problem for the more prepared campers amoung us.

we too were particularly impressed by amy sawers (who was one also of the afformentioned friends) set. one of her best ever id say (and ive seen a fair few). the little kicks also had a fantastic set and congratulations to them on securing a support slot with maximo park! those two artists stood out the most but all the others i saw also impressed.

all in all a very good local festival that i would highly recommend to everyone in the future.

I agree with the comments above. Great fun festival. It was completely family friendly which gave a nice atmosphere. For the number of people that were there, the venues were the correct size. For their first time, I thought the organisation was superb. From what I heard, there were a lot of people who voluteered to help out so thanks to them for helping make it so enjoyable.

As a performer, I thought the sound was great and the guys running it were slick. They kept everything running pretty much on time. Main tent sound system was quality, really tight crisp sound.

On top of the bands mentioned already, I thought the xcerts were really good. They had a pretty rubbish time slot - 12.30 on Saturday - but they did really well and snapped me out of my hangover!

:up:

Guest DustyDeviada

We played on Saturday and had a great time. Good little crowd in the acoustic tent, nice sound guys as well (although one of them smoking a giant spliff two feet away from me during our set was a little offputting. ;) )

I was a little concerned by the numbers that I saw (thought it could have been a financial disaster of Keith Chaos proportions) but the organisers are in the paper today saying it was a success, so hopefully it will go ahead again next time.

The only critiscm I would have is that the acoustic tent was pretty damn close to one of the main stages. For half of our set there was nobody else on and it was fine, but for the other half all I could hear was bass from the big tent.

We played on Saturday and had a great time. Good little crowd in the acoustic tent, nice sound guys as well (although one of them smoking a giant spliff two feet away from me during our set was a little offputting. ;) )

I was a little concerned by the numbers that I saw (thought it could have been a financial disaster of Keith Chaos proportions) but the organisers are in the paper today saying it was a success, so hopefully it will go ahead again next time.

The only critiscm I would have is that the acoustic tent was pretty damn close to one of the main stages. For half of our set there was nobody else on and it was fine, but for the other half all I could hear was bass from the big tent.

Yeah the acoustic tent was pretty shite. My favourite part was the "Backstage Area", consisting of a fenced-off bit of grass. Haha.

the only downside i would say was the fact there was only the porridge stand to feed the campsite in the morning and i heard a few complaints about that. seeing that there were local business's involved it would have been brilliant to see a local butcher or baker coming on site each morning with fresh filled hot rolls or something similar. hardly the end of the world tho and certainly not a problem for the more prepared campers amoung us.

we too were particularly impressed by amy sawers (who was one also of the afformentioned friends) set. one of her best ever id say (and ive seen a fair few). the little kicks also had a fantastic set and congratulations to them on securing a support slot with maximo park! those two artists stood out the most but all the others i saw also impressed.

all in all a very good local festival that i would highly recommend to everyone in the future.

Haha did you try the porridge? It was good gear. Particularly the Cranachann flavour - Mmm.

When's Amy Sawers next Aberdeen gig? I got a bit annoyed at the unfairness of life because she was a zihillion times better than the likes of Sandi Thom. But I fancy Sandi Thom. So it's okay.

Amy was indeed excellent, I reckon she must have a fair few new fans now, the tent was pretty busy.

Was a good little festival, seemed to be well organised and friendly, so here's hoping it carries on the good work next year. We couldn't stay late, and when we left there were already a fair few ruddy cheeked locals looking the worse for wear - I take it there wasn't too much drunken twattery then?

Haha did you try the porridge? It was good gear. Particularly the Cranachann flavour - Mmm.

When's Amy Sawers next Aberdeen gig? I got a bit annoyed at the unfairness of life because she was a zihillion times better than the likes of Sandi Thom. But I fancy Sandi Thom. So it's okay.

no never tried it. not the biggest porridge fan to tell the truth, more into my ready brek, ken?

not sure when her next gig is but totally agree with your opinion of whom is better.....

Amy Sawers next gig is on 14th September 2007 at the Tunnels, her sister Kathyrn Sawers is also playing.. Also in the line-up is Green Pony and the Kitchen Cynics.