aberdeen-music

Reading Festival Highlights

Didz

Watched quite a bit of this over the weekend.

How boring and predictable are the Chili's nowadays, seen them at T in the Park last year and they were shit and they looked even more depressing on Saturday. The stage set up and lighting sucked compared to the Pumpkins and the band as a whole were lifeless and flat. Shame cos they were pretty awesome at gig on the green 4/5 years ago. Get back on the gear for the musics sake :up:

Kate Nash is a singing Catherine Tate.

Zane Lowe loves everyone.

They didn't play enough NIN.

Guest Steven Dedalus

How boring and predictable are the Chili's nowadays.

Well, that's not really a revelation, is it? Sure, have they not always been shite? Just take one look at them: that's four guys who hate music.

They didn't play enough Smashing Pumpkins, I only saw Today and Tarantula.

...Kate Nash was looking well nice though, but the music was still gash.

I only saw 2 pumpkins tunes as well. They played the whole razorlight set on friday so I was a bit miffed that the pumpkins didn't get the same treatment. I recorded the late night bbc3 coverage so maybe there will be some more in there, but I'm not holding my breath. They will proberly show some more CSS or some other flavour of the month band.

Also the entire bbc presenting team were useless with the honerable exception of the affable chap with the tash.

I saw the Subways and despaired. Tameness and cliche masquerading as dangerous rock n roll. They must have been given a set of 30 mins tops and the front man wastes a 4 or 5 mins with a pointless crowd shouting contest and then climbing not one but two speaker stacks each about 1 and a half times the height of a garden shed - woooo! scary.

Crowd seemed to like it though.

Guest Steven Dedalus

I still maintain that the Subway's first album is one of the worst albums I've ever heard. I was forced to listen to it when I worked in Fopp (an injustice I would never have tolerated in One Up...) and just wanted to die.

I always laughed when the NME would describe the bass player at 'sexy' or 'hot' or whatever. She looks like the sister of someone you might have gone to school with...

Yeah they played at The Lemon Tree when I worked there. There was a fair bit of hype about them coming and their gig sold reasonably well, but all I remember about the show itself was thinking that the bass player was pretty plain looking close up (not that that really matters but for the fact she is often reffered to as being some sort of sex bomb).

Couldn't even remember one thing about the music till I saw the Reading coverage.

There should be European Union legislation to prevent people from having to endure the Subways at work.

It was a Pumpkins - fest last night if you pressed the red button. There were loads of tracks featured. It was very good indeed. New bass player is, er, pleasant. Dressing like a complete slut helps, too.

I also watched Jimmy Eat World's full set through the red button. And missed all of Razorlight, thank fuck.

Chilli Peppers laboured funk workout is beyond dreadful nowadays.

Lack of NIN was pathetic - particularly when Zane is standing there going - "this is the best thing I've seen all weekend" and Edith promises to bring us some NIN - SOON! After about another hour another link takes place at the "top of the treehouse" where Zane exclaims he "can't hear a word Edith's aying" because NIn are rocking the place so much. It was like a big tease throughout. So I waited patiently. They then showed three quarters of the Hand That Feeds and that was it. Bloody nightmare.

Kate Nash astounded me - never heard her before but music nowadys is sinking to the lowest depths ever. Utter drivel female Mike - Skinner bandwagon stuff. Catherine Tate is a quality comparison, Didz!

Affable moustache was amusing! We need more of him on telly.

Edith Bowman was trying to be knowledgeable in front of Zane and it was pathetic. There was also an hilariously cringeworthy interview with Ian Lostprophet where he got huffy because Zane's never interviewed him before. He then slagged off the Pumpkins much to Zane's disgust. The tension was bubbling throughout. Then they played a Lostprophets track with loads of swearing around the back of seven - someone's gonna get the sack for that!

Edith Bowman was trying to be knowledgeable in front of Zane and it was pathetic. There was also an hilariously cringeworthy interview with Ian Lostprophet where he got huffy because Zane's never interviewed him before. He then slagged off the Pumpkins much to Zane's disgust. The tension was bubbling throughout. Then they played a Lostprophets track with loads of swearing around the back of seven - someone's gonna get the sack for that!

Yeah she brings dumbing down to previously untapped depths. According to her Dave Grohl is "unique" as having played on two bands - she failed to clearly qualify this statement, so it sounded as if she meant he's the only person ever to have played in two bands. Even if she meant unique as having played in two bands that have headlined Reading surely this can't be true?

I also remember her describing Oasis as "brave" for having played a set of mainly hits rather than new material at their last Glastonbury appearance.

I think she has compulsive adjective disorder.