aberdeen-music

I think I saw Bill Murray on the Newburgh golf course

Guest Steven Dedalus

Ahhh, you see ALL of Wes Anderson's films operate on their own logic, and that's why I like them so much. Rushmore, Royal Tennebaums and Life AQuatic are some of my favourite Murray moments.

Like I said earlier, either you subscribe wholeheartedly to it, or you just see it as a load of twee nonsense.

Kingpin was rather good, wasn't it. I liked it in the way that one enjoys a guilty pleasure.

Ahhh, you see ALL of Wes Anderson's films operate on their own logic, and that's why I like them so much. Rushmore, Royal Tennebaums and Life AQuatic are some of my favourite Murray moments.

Like I said earlier, either you subscribe wholeheartedly to it, or you just see it as a load of twee nonsense.

Kingpin was rather good, wasn't it. I liked it in the way that one enjoys a guilty pleasure.

bottle rocket may have lacked bill murray but its most likely my favorite wes anderson movie (i love them all tho)

and id have to say that kingpin is great when bill is on and off screen

I'm certain I just saw him playing the 8th hole of Newburth-on-Ythan golf course in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, but I'm just not sure. He looked the spitting image of Bill Murray and looked at me out of the corner of his eye as I drove by like he was just checking for fans or something.

I mean it could be him on several counts:

The Edinburgh film festival

The film he's working on in Ireland

Playing golf AND right next door to the new and well-known Donald Trump course

He was about 6' 1" (roughly)

I wish I just plucked up the courage to ask him but it seemed too normal to intervene as he teed off

is it ???

i can't believe that?

1. "1941" is a steaming poop of a film. Even Belushi seems confused in it.

2. Was "Quick Change" the one where he was a bank robber dressed as a clown? I remember that one being quite good, if it is indeed the one I remember.

3. Yer darn tootin about Bill Murray being the best thing about most of the films he's been in. He's been in loads of stinkers, and I generally come away from them going, "What was that all about? At least Bil Murray was good, though..."

4. I loved "Rushmore". I was just great. I can understand why people wouldn't like it, because it operates on it's own logic, and you just have to either buy into it all, or forget about it. The theatrical adaptation of "Serpico" is brilliant, though.

5. I'm going to contradict point 3 by saying that everything about "Charlie's Angels" was guff. I think I saw it in the cinema when it came out, and I got in trouble with the management because a friend and myself couldn't hold back our ire, and made very loud and obnoxious observations the whole way through it.

Would have to agree with most of your points - 1941 is a train wreck of a film that had the potential to be great but ended up as a self indulgent mess. I've often wondered if Spielberg (riding high after Jaws and Close Encounters) was off his tits on the showbiz sherbert when he made it.

"Quick Change" is indeed the Bank Robber one - I think Randy Quaid was in it as well - I'm glad someone else remembers it.

I didn't hate "Rushmore" in fact I remember being the only one in the room who laughed at any of it but I still felt a little disappointed by the end of it. I must confess that "Royal Tennenbaums" just left me scratching my head and thinking maybe I wasn't as clever as I thought I was. Then again, I've seen loads of people give Lost in Translation stick for much the same reason and I really enjoyed it.

Charlie's Angels was a steaming pile of shite but I loved Bill Murray as he seemed to treat the whole sorry farrago with the contempt it deserved.

I'm not sure if perhaps some people have a rather fixed idea of what a Bill Murray film is and this is why his work can be so divisive as some people are looking for the comedian Bill Murray and not the actor one. The Murray who was in Caddyshack, Ghostbusters et al is a very different animal to the modern version.

Would have to agree with most of your points - 1941 is a train wreck of a film that had the potential to be great but ended up as a self indulgent mess. I've often wondered if Spielberg (riding high after Jaws and Close Encounters) was off his tits on the showbiz sherbert when he made it.

along with the cast...

perhaps that was the prefered method of payment?

Guest bluesxman

For the classic Bill Murray comedy era, Stripes, Caddyshack and Ghostbusters. What About Bob? had a couple of good moments and Kingpin is class, especially the later bowling scenes where his enormous comb over is falling out of place.

For the latter era, Lost In Translation, Broken Flowers, Coffee And Cigarettes and Life Aquatic were all good. I especially liked the bit in Life Aquatic where he puts on the headphones in preparation for a dive and does a strange wee dance.

I have Rushmore at home but havent got round to watching it yet, I started one day but wasnt in the mood. I hated Royal Tenebaums.

Guest DustyDeviada
I've often wondered if Spielberg (riding high after Jaws and Close Encounters) was off his tits on the showbiz sherbert when he made it.

Nah, apparently he was high on cocaine.