aberdeen-music

I think I saw Bill Murray on the Newburgh golf course

I'm certain I just saw him playing the 8th hole of Newburth-on-Ythan golf course in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, but I'm just not sure. He looked the spitting image of Bill Murray and looked at me out of the corner of his eye as I drove by like he was just checking for fans or something.

I mean it could be him on several counts:

The Edinburgh film festival

The film he's working on in Ireland

Playing golf AND right next door to the new and well-known Donald Trump course

He was about 6' 1" (roughly)

I wish I just plucked up the courage to ask him but it seemed too normal to intervene as he teed off

Guest Steven Dedalus

He was in the resturant my friend works in over here in Belfast. He had his picture taken with all the staff, and apparently behaved in a very 'Bill Murray-ish' way, so alls well that ends well.

Ooh celebrities

I stood and took a piss whilst I spoke to Tim Booth about the popularity of his t shirts a lang time ago, he he he, he was bursting for a shite and was fair jiggling aboot, that bloke that looks like Tanita Tikaram likes golf tae, ooh nice hair, he he he.

Oh! and afore I forget...

thon moon faced bloke and his twa chums came in by soaking wi their clubs tae, aye, golf is definately the way to go, but ye need ane o thoon buggys like the bands comandeer backstage, there's even room for drinks and a ghetto blaster, like oot o Caddyshack -

So what?

So let's dance

It's quite possible, I know Bill Murray comes over to Scotland a lot to play golf, there was a story in the papers a few years ago about him being in St Andrews for a round, and sitting in a pub in the evening having a few beers. A few students recognised him and invited him back to a party in their halls of residence, and he went along and had a few beers and was quite the life and soul, and the centre of attention.

How much of a legend would you be in your dorm if you turned up with a six pack and Bill Murray?

Guest DustyDeviada

So what's everybody's fave Bill Murray performance then?

I would have to say Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day are quintessential Murray, but he was also great in The Life Aquatic and Tootsie (albeit in a supporting role). Didn't think Lost in Translation was all it was made out to be.

Guest Steven Dedalus
You have to love his turn in 'Coffee and Cigarettes'. Classic.

That was good, actually...

It's gotta be Ghostbusters.

Although a close second is Life Aquatic.

So what's everybody's fave Bill Murray performance then?

I would have to say Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day are quintessential Murray, but he was also great in The Life Aquatic and Tootsie (albeit in a supporting role). Didn't think Lost in Translation was all it was made out to be.

How about a little love for his role as John Winger in Stripes? :popcorn:

Recruiter: Now, are either of you homosexuals?

John Winger: You mean like flaming? Or part time?

Recruiter: Well, it's a question we have to ask of all our new recruits.

Russell Ziskey: No, we're not homosexual, but we are *willing to learn*.

John Winger: Yeah, would they send us someplace special?

Recruiter: I'll just put that as a 'no'.

Honourable mentions also to:

Rushmore and Mad Dog and Glory although those are both supporting rather than starring roles.

Guest DustyDeviada
quick...everyone check on IMDB for the most obscure bill murray film..so they can look cool, and clever!.....

1945 was my fave....

oh..hold on...that was Belushi.

Ha! Good one.

Having now looked at IMDB can I add The Rutles, although to be fair the funniest thing about that was his character's name.

i liked the man who knew too little but i like every bill murray film ive seen (hated broken flowers) his performance as hunter s in where the buffalo roam was great also.

ive heard stories of him going to student parties and doing the dishes and tidying at the end of the night?! lol

and yes its true, this man has no dick

quick...everyone check on IMDB for the most obscure bill murray film..so they can look cool, and clever!.....

1945 was my fave....

oh..hold on...that was Belushi.

I take it you mean 1941? Belushi's certainly one of the better parts of that mess.

Don't think anyone has mentioned anything really obscure yet. I dunno about anyone else, but I've just seen a shitload of films in my life and I'm not really interested in one-upping anyone on an internet forum - merely replying to Dusty's Question. For me Bill Murray is often the best thing in an otherwise average movie (Like Mad Dog and Glory or Charlie's Angels). As for Rushmore, Dusty, I remember wanting to like it more than I actually did (given the critical raves it got) but I did enjoy BM's character.

Anyone else seen Quick Change? I seem to remember it was quite good as well but its been years since I last saw it.

Guest Steven Dedalus
I take it you mean 1941? Belushi's certainly one of the better parts of that mess.

Don't think anyone has mentioned anything really obscure yet. I dunno about anyone else, but I've just seen a shitload of films in my life and I'm not really interested in one-upping anyone on an internet forum - merely replying to Dusty's Question. For me Bill Murray is often the best thing in an otherwise average movie (Like Mad Dog and Glory or Charlie's Angels). As for Rushmore, Dusty, I remember wanting to like it more than I actually did (given the critical raves it got) but I did enjoy BM's character.

Anyone else seen Quick Change? I seem to remember it was quite good as well but its been years since I last saw it.

1. "1941" is a steaming poop of a film. Even Belushi seems confused in it.

2. Was "Quick Change" the one where he was a bank robber dressed as a clown? I remember that one being quite good, if it is indeed the one I remember.

3. Yer darn tootin about Bill Murray being the best thing about most of the films he's been in. He's been in loads of stinkers, and I generally come away from them going, "What was that all about? At least Bil Murray was good, though..."

4. I loved "Rushmore". I was just great. I can understand why people wouldn't like it, because it operates on it's own logic, and you just have to either buy into it all, or forget about it. The theatrical adaptation of "Serpico" is brilliant, though.

5. I'm going to contradict point 3 by saying that everything about "Charlie's Angels" was guff. I think I saw it in the cinema when it came out, and I got in trouble with the management because a friend and myself couldn't hold back our ire, and made very loud and obnoxious observations the whole way through it.

Guest DustyDeviada

Possibly didn't like Rushmore because I had such high expectations. If I watched it again I would probably like it because I would be expecting it to be crap.