aberdeen-music

Punk/ska girl new to Aberdeen!

lynseykins

Hello all, I'm up in Aberdeen to work til end of october and I don't know the city or many folk in it!

I'm mainly into punk and ska and would welcome any suggestions as to where to check out gigs, rock pubs or club nights in this fine city. So far I see bombskare are playing at Drummonds, thats my only lead :)

cheers ears

Lyns x

Moorings for alcohol fuelled mayhem. Lots of decent rock. Ace jukebox! World beers. Often with live bands. Run by a pirate. Frightening amounts of male nudity. All good. Try the Moosehead.

Drummonds for live bands of all genres and warm lager.

The Tunnels - two rooms with live bands of the indie variety most nights. Aberdeen's suavest doorman Nicky Ca$ino will take care of you. In fact he probably knows you're in town already. Nothing gets past Nicky.

Bassment for rock, metal etc. and wonderful cocktails at low low prices! Don't play the arcade machines, the buttons don't work.

Moshulu - Friday nights, rock ,metal, punk, ska et all. Packed oot the door min! Wear black. Show off tattoos, piercings etc. If you're even vaguely attractive, watch out for Bob. Saturday night is "Air Guitar" classic rock night. Usually empty. Again, wear black. I dunno about the other nights... See above re arcade machines.

Exodus (Triple Kirks) - Friday night is indie alternative. Expect Pixies, Jeff Buckley, etc. You'll only get in if you have a 60 haircut and you're wearing tweed. Indie Poseur city. Cunty bouncers. That's where I can usually be found :-)

That's about yer lot.... did I miss anything?

Hello all, I'm up in Aberdeen to work til end of october and I don't know the city or many folk in it!

I'm mainly into punk and ska and would welcome any suggestions as to where to check out gigs, rock pubs or club nights in this fine city. So far I see bombskare are playing at Drummonds, thats my only lead :)

cheers ears

Lyns x

MySpace.com - GFN? Records - Aberdeen, UK - Punk / Hardcore / Ska - www.myspace.com/gfnrecords

We've always got something on on a Monday at The Tunnels.

Punk and Ska mainly.

Hello, welcome to Aberdeen, ye as Camie says, we (Good For Nothing? / GFN?) put on ska/punk gigs quite regularly, although not every monday like u may be led to believe > Camie!!

Our next gig you may be interested in...

GFNSkaTrekFLYER.jpg

And you can see our other upcoming shows here:

GFN? RECORDS

Also you may like these local bands (shameless plug):

THE UPSTARTS

THE HIJACKS

Come say hi at a gig!

I will, if I may, respectfully disagree with Elwood's comments about Exodus. It's predominantely indie/alt most nights of the weeks and styles of all types are accepted as long as it's not trackie bottoms and baseball caps. You may well get bits of ska/punk on Saturday, Sundays and Mondays, and it has a generally welcoming fun atmosphere.

Aye, but the bouncers are pretty cunty. :p

Exodus bouncers aren't really that bad - they do have their moments from time to time. Just don't...

1) Behave like a drunk asshole

2) Act like an arrogant twat

3) Push people about

4) Smoke in the club

5) Be sick outside and expect to get back in

Following the above has kept me out of trouble... or is it just my expensive haircuts? Who knows.

I did actually try to get back in after being sick outside once... needless to say I wasn't successful.

May I draw everyone's attention again to the 10 page discussion from last year about just how cunty the bouncers are?

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/other-clubs-venues/40271-bouncers-exodus.html

cheers ears

Lyns x

ok ill bite 8-)

Cafe Drummonds

The Tunnels

Basement/Moshulu

The Moorings

Snafa

Those are the venues with live music on most nites... best thing is to check here and see the upcoming events calender above the forums... from there you will see what and where bands will be playing.

If out and about on the 4th of Sept, hit the Tunnels to see Atik Star, the 8th @ the Moorings for Deadloss/Radio Lucifer, again Atik Star on the 15th Sept.

:up:

May I draw everyone's attention again to the 10 page discussion from last year about just how cunty the bouncers are?

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/other-clubs-venues/40271-bouncers-exodus.html

Haha just had a read of this. Pretty crazy. I haven't had much trouble from the bouncers at Exo though I've been warned a few times for falling asleep which in somewhere as loud as Exo is quite a feat!! :laughing:

[rant]

So yeh, on that note, the thing I don't like about Exodus is that it is far too loud. The speakers are straining and conversation is difficult at best. It's just too loud for the size of room and what comes out of the speakers is seriously distorted to the point of being unrecognisable noise. It becomes slightly more tollerable when wearing proffesional ear plugs but you shouldn't have to do that in a club!! o_O

[/rant]