aberdeen-music

Kula Shaker's new album

k_shaker

Hello all,

Apologies for a slight degree of spam in this post, but for those of you interested, Kula Shaker's new album is out very soon - on the 20th August. It's called Strangefolk, and features the single 'Second Sight'.

You can see the video here:

YouTube - Kula Shaker 'Second Sight' video

There's also an exclusive free download track available on Kula Shaker's website - Kula Shaker - Official Website

What do you think?

Guest Steven Dedalus
I had 'K'. I think I still have it... somewhere. I must look in the boxes under my bed. I used to think Crispin was badass.

(I was in primary school at the time)

Yeeeeeehhhaaaaah!

God, you'd need to be in primary school to find him bad-ass!

I remember the time when the Jeevas were playing in Kef, and Anna made me and her Hitler moustaches to wear if he came into One Up.

childish, but fun.

k is a great album i bought it for 50p at the thainstone car boot sale not so long back. dunno what the new stuff will be like but will give it the benefit of the doubt! i saw the jeevahs at kef a few years ago and they weren't too bad, supported by bench as i recall.

I thought that Crispian Mills (I think that's his named) misjudged remarks about Nazism were quite well known: Kula Shaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nazi sympathisers that they are.

I just thought that something attributed to a singer in a band doesn't really mean it goes for the rest of his band's beliefs?

Anyway I didn't think it was much of a story, and what's it got to do with the music?

Would you change your opinion on any band/music/song if you found out something you didn't like about them?

I think the music went downhill without any help from the story but then I thought K would be hard to top for them.

Would you change your opinion on any band/music/song if you found out something you didn't like about them?

Yeah. If they were Nazis. Like Kula Shaker are. Lucky I thought they were beyond bad before it all "came out." Phew, could have had a situation on my hands there.

Seems to me that the evidence of them being Nazi sympathisers is tenuous at best. As that wikipedia article points out, the only thing Mills did was corrctly identify the origins of the Swastika symbol, which is not unusual considering the band's obsession with eastern religion/mysticism. And people have been saying (correctly) that democracy doesn't work since the days of ancient Athens.

The public at large heard Kula Shaker's name used in conjuction with the words "swastika" and "anti-democracy" and, as usual, jumped to a conclusion that still tars the band's reputation to this day. Don't get me wrong, if these guys actually are/were Nazi sympathisers, then they need their heads examined, but I've yet to see any proof that this was actually the case.

I've yet to hear the new album, but I have read a couple of grudgingly positive reviews in the music press which seem to incidate that it might actually be pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Why look into it further? just read Marsh's post, he tells it like it is, 100% Nazi's, the whole lot of them.

It's incredibly amusing you're getting so upity about a band as thoroughly crap as Kula Shaker.

What next - leaping to the defence of the reasons behind Shed Seven's reformation with your biting sarcasm?

It's incredibly amusing you're getting so upity about a band as thoroughly crap as Kula Shaker... leaping to the defence...

Wasn't defending them, was merely amused that you'd be calling a whole band of individuals Nazi's because of a few comments from the lead singer.

What next? The Who - Paedo's. Sex Pistols - Nazi's. INXS - Lovers of autoerotic asphyxiation. Babyshambles - Theiving junkies. The Charlatans - Theives. Keane - Junkies. The lot of them.

Whilst the above may indeed be true, it's not based on anything and I have no evidence, so therefore it's kinda bollocks!