aberdeen-music

Tellison - Contact! Contact!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

So, it's been a good few years, and hopefully some of you have been following Tellison since the early days when we first brought them up for the Tam o' Shantie. I've pretty much been constantly blown away by 'em since the very first time I heard them, on a shitty demo tape recorded on a 4 track, and they've just got better and better. Their proper debut album has now dropped and I can't say a bad thing about - what are your thoughts?

I must admit I was a bit aprehensive about the newer stuff and it took me quite a while to appreciate the extra input from the new linup (for any old school fans, bassist Rory left a couple of years ago and after a few changes there is now a solid 4 piece line up with occasional help from a 5th member, playing all sorts of shit like a microkorg, lap steel guitar, percussion and even some kinda tacky sampled beats) but it really comes into its own thanks to the production on this album. The whole thing sounds fucking magic and the execution is flawless, it's just hit after hit. As said before if I had to criticise one thing I would say the sampled stuff is a bit thin and cheesy sounding, I think they were trying to go for a Postal Service vibe, which is fair enough, but why do people never sample stuff that sounds raw and phat? I guess that's just my nature though.