aberdeen-music

Best places to buy laptops?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

As I noted in the other thread, PC world's amazing 300 off offer has now expired and by the sound of it was a bit of a sham anyway (limited supply of the decent laptops, but plenty of the totally 'free' shitty spec ones). However I've got a birthday coming up and so a bit of money towards something usable isn't out of the question. Are there any good sites who often do deals, reliable avenues for purchasing 2nd hand/ex display/ex demo laptops, or any other suggestions where I might pick up a decent laptop that won't become obsolete any time soon? Something running XP with upgradable RAM and a decent enough Intel processor (dual core or equivelant) is preferred.

And yes, I am aware that a Google search would yield results but there would be too many of them and I want a little help from people with experience here.

400 will get you a half decent laptop, maybe even a pretty good one if you're smart and shop around.

700 and upwards you're competing with desktops which is what I was replacing, I also don't know a lot about hardware nor do I want to know so didn't want to have to upgrade straight away.

i been thinking about a lap top . got my desktop from novatech and its great, turns out i'm just going to upgrade a bit at a time the old desktop but i thought this range from novatech was okay value..

Computer Supplies from Novatech

plus you can buy vista from them cheap as no frills OEM, if you feel the need. the after sales support is great as well..

Guest Tam o' Shantie

sharon prices like that for dells are inclusive of onsite warranties and business support, and generally higher spec than consumer notebooks, just look at the spec and price of inspirons and suchlike over latitudes. there are plenty of places doing dual core laptops for 350 but I am only interested in core 2 duo as stated earlier.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

PS i dont care about OS as I will most likely just wipe it and install XP or if it is a decent version of vista (business pro i guess?), dual boot it

Guest Neutral
I recently got this from Tesco, seemed pretty reasonable to me if a little over your budget.

Fujitsu Siemens 15.4" Laptop - Tesco.Direct

stay well away from fujitsu siemens, 3 years 4 models each one sent away for repairs numerous times

the dvd writer didnt read dvds

the screen started smoking

keyboard collapsed

parts fell off regularly

inbuilt speakers didnt work

more...